The Magic Of Disney Animation closing?

jt04

So you predicted BLT closing 9 months ago for no work to begin?

Just that investment was coming to the parks once the WDW house was in order.

It does seem though that the original plan was delayed. Possibly in the manner Hyperion Wharf became Disney Springs.

In any case, my optimism seems to have been justified even if the turn around has taken a long time. Judging by the changes at DAK it will be worth the wait.

ToTBellHop

It does seem though that the original plan was delayed. Possibly in the manner Hyperion Wharf became Disney Springs.

In any case, my optimism seems to have been justified even if the turn around has taken a long time. Judging by the changes at DAK it will be worth the wait.
Surprisingly, I agree. It seems DHS is finally going to be a great park. In five years.

Marlins1

Looks like it's Brown Derby and out for me. It's like they want us to extend our day trips to UNI and Sea World for more then a day.
I love the Brown Derby! For me it will be Brown Derby and trip down Sunset Blvd for the rides and maybe Fantasmic. No day trips to other parks for me though - I don't know how people do that without getting burnt out. I would just hang out somewhere else in the WDW bubble. I do Uni the same way.

Last edited:

NowInc

Seems a bit strange seeing how the official Disney Parks youtube channel uses this room and its artists quite frequently to film its popular "Draw a disney character" series..

One of many they have posted:

brb1006

Original Poster
Seems a bit strange seeing how the official Disney Parks youtube channel uses this room and its artists quite frequently to film its popular "Draw a disney character" series..

One of many they have posted:

No more how to draw videos?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Darn! I just visited this for the first time last week and was so looking forward to going again during my next trip... I hope this isn't true, otherwise traditional animation is about to take yet another blow... :cry:

DistractedGenius

Man, I know Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster are huge anchor rides, and that Star Wars is still really popular, but seriously, people not in the know are going to head over to the Studios and be faced with almost nothing! While I agree that the current Animation stuff pales in comparison to what was there on my trip before last many years ago, I still enjoyed hanging out there a couple of weeks ago. I think it has a lot of potential to be a really neat section of the park (again).

John

You predicting that some investment was going to come to DHS is like predicting the sun would shine tomorrow. Please just stop. You have no information other then you predicting something was going to happen.

I think the angst of the members here is the fact that the place has been left to die before anything was done. Funny how you mention Hyperion Warf. Your right it is the same thing but you left out some very important pieces to that story. PI was left to rot in a similar fashion. No updates.....no refurbs till things deteriorated...attendance dropped....then they blew the thing up. Sound familiar? DHS should of had a steady diet of new attractions.....updates.....a worthy parade. They got away from its original concept.....which IMO is still relevant today. Hollywood and its studios are still popular. Movies will always be in style. The Golden era of Hollywod would still play to todays audiences if executed well.

So you pat yourself on the back for predicting they would do something with DHS after they basically have a park that shouldn't even be open to the public finally get its much needed reimagineering....Congrats!

You say after "they get their house in order" Again tell me how they accomplished this? To charge full admission to this park is a crime. Its been stripped. They should just close it. Go full bore 24/7 and fix the place. Nope...they wont...they will stretch capex out for years and people will be gouged along the way.

We should be happy about the state of the park? Or happy that in five years ( being optimistic) that they will have finally given it a remake? When it should have been loved and maintained all along.

So due us a favor and look in your crystal ball and tell us when EPCOT will get its remake?

ToTBellHop

He doesn't know. He knows what I know and what you know and what any half-wit that visits this forum knows. LMA will be closing, eventually. He knows no more, no less.
:)
And apparently later than we thought now that we get to enjoy a (farewell?) season of Osborne before it glows away for...a bit? And honestly, as impressive as Osborne is, guests deserve a farewell season. Hopefully Disney announces it as such.

jt04

You predicting that some investment was going to come to DHS is like predicting the sun would shine tomorrow. Please just stop. You have no information other then you predicting something was going to happen.

I think the angst of the members here is the fact that the place has been left to die before anything was done. Funny how you mention Hyperion Warf. Your right it is the same thing but you left out some very important pieces to that story. PI was left to rot in a similar fashion. No updates.....no refurbs till things deteriorated...attendance dropped....then they blew the thing up. Sound familiar? DHS should of had a steady diet of new attractions.....updates.....a worthy parade. They got away from its original concept.....which IMO is still relevant today. Hollywood and its studios are still popular. Movies will always be in style. The Golden era of Hollywod would still play to todays audiences if executed well.

So you pat yourself on the back for predicting they would do something with DHS after they basically have a park that shouldn't even be open to the public finally get its much needed reimagineering....Congrats!

You say after "they get their house in order" Again tell me how they accomplished this? To charge full admission to this park is a crime. Its been stripped. They should just close it. Go full bore 24/7 and fix the place. Nope...they wont...they will stretch capex out for years and people will be gouged along the way.

We should be happy about the state of the park? Or happy that in five years ( being optimistic) that they will have finally given it a remake? When it should have been loved and maintained all along.

So due us a favor and look in your crystal ball and tell us when EPCOT will get its remake?

No crystal ball just a long time observer of the business cycle.

Epcot will get serious attention after DAk and Studios if the rumors are true. But investment is coming to all the parks sooner rather than later and we are witnessing that now.

Hard to second guess the strategy but attendence figures reflect the masses are happy with the pace and direction everything is going.

brb1006

Original Poster
Here's a strange story from my first trip to WDW back in 2004. I mistaken the Animation Academy building for the Fantasmic area. Since they had Sorcerer Mickey near the logo.

ThemeParkJunkee

And your story is one of the reasons why it hurt so bad to see that aspect of the Studios closed.
It was that direct experience that inspired your daughter to pursue a interest in animation that became a dream come true for her.
Thousands before and after likely were inspired and spurred on in a similar way through directly interacting, and more importantly, being given the CHANCE to interact within that unique setting the experience at the Animation Tour used to provide.

That was all lost when the department was closed and basically turned into a indoor Meet & Greet and gaming stop.

I think about all the potential artists and animators that are missing out on that experience that the Studios Animation Tour used to provide.
The loss of the original REAL Animation Tour was a blow not necessarily only because it was closing, but because of the loss of it*s role in instilling a sense of wonder and inspiring tomorrow*s future artists and animators.

What is left there now to inspire tomorrow*s new batch of artists and animators ?

Meeting a costumed character?
Playing simple computer games in the hall?
Taking a *Draw a Character* class...?
Seeing works of art in the gift shop at the exit....?

The Animation building is empty space now, and has been for the last few years.
No loss at all in seeing it removed or repurposed.

Thank you for this post. I posted what I did because it was the actual moment in time that changed her life forever. She was always a talented artist, winning PTA art competitions at the state level and wowing all the relatives with her impromptu drawings. They were drawing Mulan at the time. We went to see the movie when it came out for further inspiration.

Many people have moments at WDW that opened their eyes and changed some aspect of their lives. For my daughter, this was it. I remember it like it was yesterday. If/when they close this last vestige of the "Studio" aspect of this park. I will be sad. You are right, what then will inspire other talented children to aspire to be something like a "Disney Animator"? I understand the direction this park must take to save it since it is no longer a "studio" in any sense of the word, but I can still be sad.

I am equally sad that the Epcot that inspired her to travel to Europe for a whirlwind 16 day, 7 country trip, singing her way through the countries, is becoming a shadow of its former self. She auditioned for the Wisconsin Ambassadors Choir and was accepted. She was able to see the actual cultures and architecture she fell in love with at WDW.

WDW used to not only entertain, but inspire. I miss that.

John

No crystal ball just a long time observer of the business cycle.

Epcot will get serious attention after DAk and Studios if the rumors are true. But investment is coming to all the parks sooner rather than later and we are witnessing that now.

Hard to second guess the strategy but attendence figures reflect the masses are happy with the pace and direction everything is going.

jt....jt....jt.....you are going to make me do this.....I really don't want to...

McDonalds sells a gazillion hamburgers....doesn't make them good.

You are avoiding the question......How is Disney getting its house in order?

What is the rumor about EPCOT will be getting serious attention after DAK and DHS? Again......I am sure EPCOT will get attention sometime in the future.....that's hardly a prediction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom