The Magic Of Disney Animation closing?

Figments Friend

In the Parks
Yes
My daughter became an animator/illustrator because of the Animation Studio at MGM. During the Q&A with an animator, she asked how to become one. He told her to study fine arts in college and draw every day. She took his advice and ran with it. She was eleven and drew every day. Now she is 27, has a Master's degree, works at a game company and still draws every day.

And your story is one of the reasons why it hurt so bad to see that aspect of the Studios closed.
It was that direct experience that inspired your daughter to pursue a interest in animation that became a dream come true for her.
Thousands before and after likely were inspired and spurred on in a similar way through directly interacting, and more importantly, being given the CHANCE to interact within that unique setting the experience at the Animation Tour used to provide.

That was all lost when the department was closed and basically turned into a indoor Meet & Greet and gaming stop.

I think about all the potential artists and animators that are missing out on that experience that the Studios Animation Tour used to provide.
The loss of the original REAL Animation Tour was a blow not necessarily only because it was closing, but because of the loss of it*s role in instilling a sense of wonder and inspiring tomorrow*s future artists and animators.

What is left there now to inspire tomorrow*s new batch of artists and animators ?

Meeting a costumed character?
Playing simple computer games in the hall?
Taking a *Draw a Character* class...?
Seeing works of art in the gift shop at the exit....?

The Animation building is empty space now, and has been for the last few years.
No loss at all in seeing it removed or repurposed.

Chef Kronk

I'm hoping and praying that this expansion/re-work of the park will be well worth it with all of these closures. I want something creative (not more Star Wars) that will make DHS a full day park again.

dramaqueen520

I love the drawing academy, it would be a shame to see it go. It's really the only thing that keeps me coming back to DHS. If the rumor is true and the building closes, I hope Disney will at least continue to post their drawing tutorials on youtube

Kman101

I can't say it'd be a huge loss --- now. The original one was.

I have to admit I'm shocked because I figured they'd let the Animation Courtyard rot as it's not really a priority.

Can anyone in the know PLEASE give a hint at the scope of the DHS makeover? Is it far more than I'm expecting (Pixar additions, Some of the SOA demo'd, addition of Star Wars in a year far far far away, possibly Echo Lake disgustingly being paved over). I really figured they'd ignore the courtyard. But they shouldn't.

They really need to drop some news about this park at D23. Or an insider needs to say screw it and drop some knowledge, LOL. But I know they can't.

andysol

I can't say it'd be a huge loss --- now. The original one was.

I have to admit I'm shocked because I figured they'd let the Animation Courtyard rot as it's not really a priority.

Can anyone in the know PLEASE give a hint at the scope of the DHS makeover? Is it far more than I'm expecting (Pixar additions, Some of the SOA demo'd, addition of Star Wars in a year far far far away, possibly Echo Lake disgustingly being paved over). I really figured they'd ignore the courtyard. But they shouldn't.

They really need to drop some news about this park at D23. Or an insider needs to say screw it and drop some knowledge, LOL. But I know they can't.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/bob-iger-at-wdw-now-bod-to-follow.900980/page-8

Entrance redone, new parking garages, Pixar and Star Wars areas. No details yet. But sounds like D23 will be when the announcement takes place for sure.

Kman101

tenchikiss

So is this "park" still worth the price of admission?

It's starting to push it. If you schedules your time right and did EVERY show and all the attractions it could be for a 1st timer or every other year person. But not for a second day of anyone's trip for sure. I am not one to say half a day park like others do but it's starting to head that way for me, as someone who likes characters and can't ride "scarier" rides. This will just lead more people to going to Magic Kingdom MORE, causing the same old congestion problems.

Dwarful

This just tore broke my heart and lately my heart has been broken a lot (see avatar). We were there in Feb/ March and made a special trip to the Studios just for the girls to do the drawing. We did it three times in a row then we had to leave to go to MK for FP+. Without this and with the advance FP's we will be able to see what we want and ride the rides and be out mid day. We skipped a trip this summer and plan on going to Uni for the first three days of our next summer vacation. Cuts like this will just keep pushing us away. We need to get value for our travel dollars.

The Empress Lilly

Aww sucks...

If I accept that the Backlot Studio half of DHS is dead, then I can deal with the watered down BLT and Animation closing. But heaven forbid they close these and give us Toy Story Playland in return...

jt04

I have never seen such unjustified pessimissim in my life. Seems like the closer things get to being fixed the more angry some get. Strange.

My guess is soon people will be gushing over the studios the way they are gushing over DAK 2.0.

All is proceeding as I have predicted.

ToTBellHop

While I would be sad to see this go as there's not much of the original park left, it really is a relic and a large use of real estate that could be put to better use. Still, I don't know that we will visit DHS much for awhile.

mm52200

I have very mixed feelings about this if it's actually closing. Once again, they need to stop closing things before they have added things. The animation tour is a shell of it's former self, but yet I feel like the attraction was in a pretty good place for what they could do with it. The guest accessible space had a few interesting things to do, but that didn't justify that massive building sitting mostly empty. If they close it, it'll just be in another nail in the coffin of the Studio concept. It was something that was a really cool concept in it's prime, but they just couldn't sustain the theme and the idea properly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom