The Magic Of Disney Animation closing?

FigmentsFangirl

Asked around yesterday on info for OMD closing, the CMs I asked {one working at the entry, the other a supervisor inside} had no info to confirm or deny the rumor of OMD closure. We can take the closure with a grain of salt or ignore that rumor I think

psherman42

I would guess they are connecting the RnRC area, the new flex theater and the current Animation Courtyard. This would likely mean that some or all of the Animation building is going away.
I'd be curious to see how they'd do that since directly behind the Animation building is the main cafeteria for Cast Members, not to mention the backside of Sunset Ranch.

Brer Panther

What do you think will replace this? Something PIXAR related, I'm guessing... Maybe this could be part of the land that Toy Story Playland will sit on?

Next Big Thing

Did the Animation Academy today for the last time, they must've mentioned 4-5 times the attraction was closing in the period of time I was there. It was actually quite odd.

Anyway, after experiencing the park today and knowing most guests are newbies, I can easily see how they are able to get away with closing all of this and still keep going before construction starts. I did all rides except RNRC, Animation, saw Frozen Fever and ate lunch and didn't see any of the many shows in the park, and we fastpassed all rides, and still we were there for a solid 6 hours. Could've easily stayed until Fireworks or F!, but had reservations.

The one thing I worry about is the park does have a lot of Frozen content right now. I mostly worry of the fireworks though as they are a huge draw. Without them, people will likely leave earlier. Hopefully the park gets it's own new nightly fireworks show soon.

roj2323

Ok If and I do mean if, disney decides to connect animation courtyard to Coaster courtyard The following is a visual to give you an idea of the potential area they have to work with. Realistically it's as large as Sunset st.
Existing.jpg
potential.jpg

Matt_Black

Yeah, as pointed out elsewhere, there's a lot more space to use at DHS than the average guest sees because it was designed to function as both a theme park and a working film studio. Since the film studio aspect is no longer a concern, there's no reason not to start fooling around with that space.

maxairmike

I would guess they are connecting the RnRC area, the new flex theater and the current Animation Courtyard. This would likely mean that some or all of the Animation building is going away.

Yeah, as pointed out elsewhere, there's a lot more space to use at DHS than the average guest sees because it was designed to function as both a theme park and a working film studio. Since the film studio aspect is no longer a concern, there's no reason not to start fooling around with that space.

As I've said before, connecting those sections is a much bigger headache than people realize. All of that delivery access space would need to be rebuilt right behind that guest area, that space can't just be removed, it has to be recreated nearby (and it's pretty tight for fitting and turning around as many as 3 semis at once as it is). Then, you'd have to have those delivery shipments crossing through that new guest area to those major kitchen areas, all during guest hours. That's not acceptable show at all. There's really only one good solution that doesn't involve serious operational impact or completely rebuilding locations for services and departments that are using that area nearly 24/7; an elevated walkway connector, which has plenty of issues of its own (has to be tall enough for semi clearance, ADA compliance, themeing issues, etc.).

There is underutilized or completely unused space in the park that could be transformed. This space, however, is not part of that.

roj2323

As I've said before, connecting those sections is a much bigger headache than people realize. All of that delivery access space would need to be rebuilt right behind that guest area, that space can't just be removed, it has to be recreated nearby (and it's pretty tight for fitting and turning around as many as 3 semis at once as it is). Then, you'd have to have those delivery shipments crossing through that new guest area to those major kitchen areas, all during guest hours. That's not acceptable show at all. There's really only one good solution that doesn't involve serious operational impact or completely rebuilding locations for services and departments that are using that area nearly 24/7; an elevated walkway connector, which has plenty of issues of its own (has to be tall enough for semi clearance, ADA compliance, themeing issues, etc.).

There is underutilized or completely unused space in the park that could be transformed. This space, however, is not part of that.

I don't disagree at all. I've been back there when there was 10 catering trucks lined up side by side for an event and a semi trying to deliver restock to sunset ranch. Additionally if nothing else the roll off trash compactor behind take 5 regularly gets full and thus picked up during park hours on a regular basis and I don't see a good solution around that issue.

Jon81uk

IF they wanted to use the space for an attraction, wouldn't it make more sense to demolish Sunset Market and some of the current backstage area and then replace elsewhere once the attractions are in place.?

brb1006

Original Poster
The Magic Of Disney Animation as of today and tomorrow is starting to get crowded with guests. I'm having a feeling the "Animation Academy" is going to be very busy for the last two days of the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom