The Little Mermaid Attraction Headed to MK?

dxwwf3

Tokyo may not be the most visually pleasing MK, but the quality/upkeep of their park and attractions, plus the first-rate entertainment, more than makes up for it.

Good point. I guess it is easy for that Magic Kingdom park to get overshadowed because of what is next door, but considering what I've heard about the park, I think you're right.

TP2000

I don't know if it would be below Tokyo or not, but it sure isn't close to Paris or Disneyland. It has been the best before and it can be the best again.

Tokyo Disneyland reminded me a lot of Magic Kingdom, mainly for the scale and scope and overall 1970's vibe it has. But Tokyo Disneyland has more attractions, not quite as many as Disneyland USA (Anaheim), but then there is no single park in the entire Disney empire that has as many rides as Disneyland USA.

But the thing that puts Tokyo Disneyland over Magic Kingdom to me isn't just the longer list of rides, it was the immaculate upkeep and the stellar and perfect customer service from all of the perfectly manicured CM's there. Tokyo Disneyland is amazing!

And if Magic Kingdom does get a Little Mermaid, that would be its first major ride in nearly 20 years. 1992 was Splash Mountain, and if they brought in bulldozers tomorrow the earliest the Little Mermaid could open would be 2011. Something tells me that if Little Mermaid does get built at Magic Kingdom, it won't be until later next decade, maybe 2014 or so, three years after it first debuts at DCA.

And is Little Mermaid really considered an E Ticket now? Al Lutz had been outlining this rides development over the last six months, and he had mentioned that the budget had grown quite large but that WDI was hesitant to label this an "E Ticket" because people might be disapointed when it didn't go upside down or throw you around. :confused:

dxwwf3

And is Little Mermaid really considered an E Ticket now? Al Lutz had been outlining this rides development over the last six months, and he had mentioned that the budget had grown quite large but that WDI was hesitant to label this an "E Ticket" because people might be disapointed when it didn't go upside down or throw you around. :confused:

All I know is they would have to make a lot of additions to the original plan (the one detailed on the Little Mermaid DVD) for this to be considered an E ticket dark ride. Pooh's Honey Hunt at Tokyo isn't a thrill ride at all, but I think that anyone who has at least seen a video of it would say it is easily an E ticket level attraction. If they upped Mermaid using similar technology, then it would be the first E ticket in the park since 92. Personally, I would say that Alien Encounter was pretty close to an E, but others would certainly disagree and I wouldn't argue with that because I can see why some would think of it as a D for sure. Still, because it isn't there anymore, Splash still stands as the undisputed most recent major attraction addition to the park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tokyo's MK - service and upkeep aside - must rank higher than Orlando; it is very similar to WDWs MK in many respects - the plan was to clone it - but has many subtle variants. Granted its SM is a clone of DLCs (with its own recent verson of a rehab) and BTM is 90% identical, but they have the mother of all 3 Splash Mountains (until Paris gets its hybrid) plus Poohs Honey Hunt and Disneylands PotC minus the 2nd drop and Captains Quarters. And the size of the park... for example, their Hub is double sized, to give locals open, green space.

Remember, PotC, the HM and the GMR are all E Rides. An E Ticket isn`t just a white knuckle ride.

TP2000

Remember, PotC, the HM and the GMR are all E Rides. An E Ticket isn`t just a white knuckle ride.

Very true. But an E Ticket needs to be longer than 5 or 6 minutes. If this Little Mermaid ride is at least 7 minutes long, and features all of the amazing AA's and whiz-bang effects that Miceage has said is coming to the DCA version, then I would classify it as an E Ticket.

I guess it just boils down to the ride length at this point, since every knowledgeable online source seems to agree the show inside the ride is of an E Ticket quality.

And if Tokyo Disneyland ever went on a major building spree and built another batch of rides to surpass the long list of rides currently at Disneyland USA, then it would be the best magic kingdom style park in the world. But as of now, it's got more rides than Magic Kingdom WDW, but not nearly as many as Disneyland USA. Still, I would much rather spend a day at Tokyo Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom. Tokyo Disneyland is great! :sohappy:

basas

Tokyo's MK - service and upkeep aside - must rank higher than Orlando; it is very similar to WDWs MK in many respects - the plan was to clone it - but has many subtle variants. Granted its SM is a clone of DLCs (with its own recent verson of a rehab) and BTM is 90% identical, but they have the mother of all 3 Splash Mountains (until Paris gets its hybrid) plus Poohs Honey Hunt and Disneylands PotC minus the 2nd drop and Captains Quarters. And the size of the park... for example, their Hub is double sized, to give locals open, green space.

I also like that they have a NoS-themed area in Adventureland. If there is one thing I don't like, it's that roof over World Bazarr!

ToTBellHop

Very true. But an E Ticket needs to be longer than 5 or 6 minutes. If this Little Mermaid ride is at least 7 minutes long, and features all of the amazing AA's and whiz-bang effects that Miceage has said is coming to the DCA version, then I would classify it as an E Ticket.

I guess it just boils down to the ride length at this point, since every knowledgeable online source seems to agree the show inside the ride is of an E Ticket quality.

And if Tokyo Disneyland ever went on a major building spree and built another batch of rides to surpass the long list of rides currently at Disneyland USA, then it would be the best magic kingdom style park in the world. But as of now, it's got more rides than Magic Kingdom WDW, but not nearly as many as Disneyland USA. Still, I would much rather spend a day at Tokyo Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom. Tokyo Disneyland is great! :sohappy:
an E-Ticket has to be longer than 5-6 minutes? The Tower of Terror is not an E-Ticket then...nor is Soarin'...or Mission: SPACE...or Everest...or Big Thunder...or Space Mountain...or most of the thrilling E-Tickets. E-ticket status has nothing to do with speed OR length. E-Tickets are the attractions with the most immersive theming, compelling stories, and grandest special effects, where Disney pulls out all the stops.

TP2000

an E-Ticket has to be longer than 5-6 minutes? The Tower of Terror is not an E-Ticket then...nor is Soarin'...or Mission: SPACE...or Everest...or Big Thunder...or Space Mountain...or most of the thrilling E-Tickets. .

I meant non-thrill E Tickets. Stuff like Pirates, Mansion, Small World, etc. Those aren't thrill rides, but they make up for it with immersive environments and a length of at least 7 minutes. And they are definitely E Tickets.

Slowjack

(emphasis added). How so? I always thought Tokyo's Splash and WDW's version were almost identical, except that riders tend to get wetter in WDW. Is that not the case?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
(emphasis added). How so? I always thought Tokyo's Splash and WDW's version were almost identical, except that riders tend to get wetter in WDW. Is that not the case?
Not quite. Tokyos is larger than WDWs. The exterior flume run around Chik-a-pin Hill is longer and the entire attraction flow is reversed in Tokyo. The interiors are similar to Orlando.

Maybe DL and WDW want to open the attractions at about the same time, ala Toy Story Mania perhaps? And as for the Little Mermaid dark ride, I am pyched to have this open!!! I love the Little Mermaid and they had better put it in Fantasyland!! Animal Kingdom and the Great Barrier Reef? What? That makes no sense, the Little Mermaid is Danish!!

TP2000

That's all I can say. However, that hasn't stopped someone else (who apparently doesn't care for their job as much as I do)--

http://www.screamscape.com/html/seaworld_california.htm

Toward the bottom.

This indoor/outdoor coaster is planned for Sea World San Diego? Is there a clone going to Orlando too, or is this just a SoCal thing?

Sea World San Diego, the first and original Sea World built in 1964, is really the most physically attractive and relevant of the Sea World parks. It would be great for the San Diego park if it started to get some more coasters and major attractions to go along with its stunning ocean bay location.

The other two Sea World's are plopped down nowhere near an ocean or body of water. But then wasn't there a Sea World in Ohio for a time back in the late 20th century? OHIO?!? That's nowhere near an ocean, or whales, or dolphins, or any fish more interesting than a lake trout. :confused:

DisneyMusician2

Won't be long now until the 10-year exclusivity deal for DisneySea runs out... let the cloning begin!

How much longer is on that anyway? I would love to see some clones from those parks make their way to the states.

Videos of some of those rides, especially Journey, would be HUGE in WDW.:sohappy:

ToTBellHop

How much longer is on that anyway? I would love to see some clones from those parks make their way to the states.

Videos of some of those rides, especially Journey, would be HUGE in WDW.:sohappy:

2011. What I don't know, however, is whether the policy is that no clones can OPEN until 2011 or no clones can be BUILT until 2011. If it's the latter, we likely wouldn't see anything until at least 2014.

Not quite. Tokyos is larger than WDWs. The exterior flume run around Chik-a-pin Hill is longer and the entire attraction flow is reversed in Tokyo. The interiors are similar to Orlando.
What's this whole hybrid Splash Mountain talk about the version in Paris? Anyone care to enlighten me?

RSoxNo1

I had rumors of a ride system that was part flume/part ctx rover, designed to be used in some sort of raft type ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Bit of a mix up - I think. The first gen EMV (CTX) was to be built in Paris - like in DLC - as an indoor/outdoor Jungle Jeep ride - though in Paris to counter the fact there was no Jungle Cruise. Just south of here is the location for the parks Splash Mountain, supposed to be hybrid like SeaWorld Orlandos Atlantis - part flume, part coaster. The only details I know of are the splash down would be where the petting farm is today, and there would be a duel platform load/unload.

If Paris attendence keeps going up (and it looks like it`ll go through the roof this summer) we could/should find out within the next 5 years.

jt04

Bit of a mix up - I think. The first gen EMV (CTX) was to be built in Paris - like in DLC - as an indoor/outdoor Jungle Jeep ride - though in Paris to counter the fact there was no Jungle Cruise. Just south of here is the location for the parks Splash Mountain, supposed to be hybrid like SeaWorld Orlandos Atlantis - part flume, part coaster. The only details I know of are the splash down would be where the petting farm is today, and there would be a duel platform load/unload.

If Paris attendence keeps going up (and it looks like it`ll go through the roof this summer) we could/should find out within the next 5 years.

Step 1. Build quality immersive attractions
Step 2. Sell a ridiculous amount of admission tickets
Step 3. Count the stacks of money

Works everytime :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom