The Imagineering Movie Discussion Thread

Now we know where the $200 Million budget for Joker 2 came from. It's a f***ing Jukebox Musical

I can’t wait for raisins on my toast to play during the scene where joker and lady Gaga break into a Waffle House for breakfast

PerGron

Original Poster
So yea, the AI situation with Late Night with the Devil is indeed SUPER frustrating because generally speaking I loved the movie and think it's a new touchstone in the found footage sub genre which is absolutely one of my favorites in the horror space. The way the movie plays around with audience perspective in the last ten or so minutes was absolutely incredible, and the slow burn build up throughout the rest of the film was perfectly paced. The 1970s talk show is simply one of the most unique framing devices I've ever seen for a horror movie. It truly feels like you're watching the taping of an episode in real time, with the commercial breaks being behind the scenes black and white footage.

But yes, the AI definitely sucks and was genuinely painful to see every time they popped up. They take up maybe 10 total seconds of screen time but you just have to wonder why the hell they didn't bother hiring actual artists.
I’ve got it at my number 2 of the year despite the ai but my friends who want to see it asked if they should and I told them why they shouldnt. In any other universe I’d be begging you to let me do a recap podcast with you on it, but because of that I can’t champion a film I genuinely loved

PerGron

Original Poster
Tonight’s mystery movie at regal is not exactly a mystery. When they announced they were doing a horror movie as the fourth and final March mystery movie, it was all but confirmed to be Sting immediately. If this ends up not being Sting I’ll eat my boot

AceAstro

Finally got to see Wicked Little Letters tonight and it was an absolute blast. Didn't really go in expecting a ton, but left pleasantly surprised, and laughing the whole time through.

The theatre was packed, to the point where people were turned away at the door, which is very cool for a movie like this, and I think helped by having a large theatre completely full all laughing at the jokes throughout!

PerGron

Original Poster
It's that time of the month! For March, I managed 30 new releases for the month and am up to exactly 90 films for 90 days so far, so I'm ridiculously excited to be all caught up.

Anyway, this month was definitely the best of the year thus far with some genuinely phenomenal films. It also managed to include some of the worst movies I've seen ever as well, so let's jump into this doozy of a month!

#30- Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate
Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate.jpg

[Watched on Peacock]

I like the original Megamind a lot and while it may not be my favorite DreamWorks film, I always wanted there to be a sequel. Unfortunately, that sequel came in the form of a pilot for a kid's series on Peacock and with that came some of the worst animation, voice acting, and writing I've seen in a long while. One line is literally "Woah, Megamind just saved me from becoming a human vegan pancake." I mean, come on, Megamind and us deserved better than this garbage.

#29- Prey
Prey.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

I had hopes for this movie as a fun survival movie where some people had to survive the wilds of Africa. Instead, I got a completely geographically inaccurate, pro-colonization, casually racist, ridiculous movies I've seen. The movie both vilifies lions while also not even showing any lion-based carnage. Overall just a waste of time and money.

#28- Murdaritaville
Murdaritaville.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

This movie barely counts as a movie. It's a purposely bad cheesy experience with zero production budget and just a bunch of friends hanging out, drinking, and presumably listening to Jimmy Buffett. It's one of those movies that is so ridiculously bad that it's amazing, sitting in a similar vein as The Room and Birdemic: Shock and Terror. Plus, the director liked and commented on my Letterboxd review so it's got that going for it.

#27-The American Society of Magical Negroes
American Society of Magical Negroes, The.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I thought this was going to be a funny satire along the lines of last year's The Blackening poking fun at the tropes of black characters in film. Instead, this ended up being a really generic rom-com where instead of poking fun at a trope they just do the trope and then afterwards give a long Barbie-style monologue that really wasn't earned. There really wasn't anything all that clever here which was disappointing. Plus, that name, I mean, come on, if you're gonna use that name, you need to earn it by being top tier satire.

#26-Easter Bloody Easter
Easter Bloody Easter.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

An Easter-themed monster movie could've been fun, they do this weird thing with the Easter Bunny where it's a werewolf but a jackalope instead. This felt like a Sci-Fi channel original parody and it had some fun to it, but it ran way too long and the fun to be had was very sporadic. I wish I could say I enjoyed it more than I did.

#25- On Fire
On Fire.jpg

[Watched on Peacock]

This felt like a Hallmark or Lifetime channel disaster movie. The effects and the acting were all up to that caliber and the story (despite being based on true events) felt a little ridiculous and melodramatic. It wasn't the worst movie, but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

#24- Heart of a Hunter
Heart of the Hunter.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

Another unfortunately generic offering from Netflix. Just a generic assassin coming out of retirement for one last job-type movie that we've seen a million times before. The most interesting part of this is the setting of South Africa during political upheaval but that's really a minor element of the movie.

#23- Imaginary
Imaginary.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I actually had fun with this one in the moment and while I've soured on it since watching, I think the final act of the movie (while stupid) had some fun and creative elements. Unfortunately, the movie is objectively really stupid and filled with horrible writing and some of the most unnatural acting and character performances I've seen. Still better than Night Swim though.

#22-Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
Ghostbusters- Frozen Empire.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

Ghostbusters is a franchise I've always been pretty lukewarm on. Besides the original film, I've never found any of them particularly great and this is no exception. There are way too many characters here that almost none of them get enough time to have you really care for them and the main ghost villain is barely in the film. Just another legacy sequel that will come and go with little fanfare.

#21- Outlaw Posse
Outlaw Posse.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

This was a pretty generic though fun western focusing on a fun posse of people who made for a pretty entertaining watch. The movie isn't particularly memorable or unique, like most of these lower-end films, but it was notably more fun than many of the others, though that may just be because I enjoy a good western.​

Also @PerGron here are my guesses on why megamind 2 has all its issues!
  1. Will Ferell, who I think voiced him previously was too busy with an upcoming film alongside the OG members, so they were all replaced. The voices were fairly decent and Megas new voice wasn’t so bad.
  2. It had the same writers from the first film, but a new director.
  3. It was made by Dreamworks Television not The Dreamworks
With all of these, I’ll stick to Napoleon Dynamite which I watched on my flight back home! What’s your opinion on that movies @PerGron

PerGron

Original Poster
#20- Frida
Frida.jpg

[Watched on Prime Video]

Frida Kahlo was a really interesting figure and her life made for an interesting documentary for a lot of it. That said, the documentary ran a little long while also being a bit unfocused. I would've appreciated it more had it been more focused and concise.

#19- Immaculate
Immaculate.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I had some fun with this one towards the end, but the first two acts were filled way too many jump scares to be truly scary. Sydney Sweeney isn't a great actress imo, and while she is certainly attractive and this movie knows this, her being attractive shouldn't have been nearly as much of a plot point as it was.

#18- In the Land of Saints and Sinners
In the Land of Saints and Sinners.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

Every year or so we get a new ridiculous Liam Neeson action movie and this year is no exception. Set in Ireland during the troubles, this is another generic and ridiculous retired assassin comes back for one last job. Unlike Heart of the Hunter though, the acting and setting and the general story of this movie made it at least fun to watch and I enjoyed my time with it.

#17- Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

This was fine. I love the first two films and the third was also pretty solid, but this fourth one just didn't need to happen. The storyline is unfortunately pretty contrived and the addition of Awkwafina really dragged this movie down for me. It's not the worst of DreamWorks even, but it's definitely not as good as that original trilogy.

#16- Damsel
Damsel.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

I'm probably higher on this one than most people, but I really enjoyed it. It was like Ready or Not but set during a D&D campaign and Ready or Not was one of my top four films of 2019. The dragon was scary and intimidating and Millie Bobby Brown was solid enough that I believed her in this movie well enough. It's not perfect or anything, but I had a lot of fun with it.

#15- Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey 2
Winnie-the-Pooh Blood and Honey 2.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

This was such a massive upgrade from the first film it's not even funny. I can't say it was great, it still took itself too seriously and some of the homages to other horror films and characters were a bit too on the nose, but the effects were better, the acting was better, and the slasher elements were so much more fun than the first.

#14- Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong- The New Empire.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

This movie was exactly what I expected it to be: a huge popcorn blockbuster with a boring and nonsense story, human characters I don't care about, and some cool monster action. I think Godzilla Minus One's existence soured me more here than I would've been otherwise, but I still had fun in the monster elements. Dan Stevens is also super fun here because he knows exactly what this movie is and just hams it up. It's fun for what it is but it's nothing worth remembering.

#13- Ricky Stanicky
Ricky Stanicky.jpg

[Watched on Prime Video]

This was a really stupid premise but at the same time, it was so ridiculous and stupid it was actually a lot of fun. Zac Efron was good here, but the standout was absolutely John Cena who I genuinely think is one of the funniest actors out there and I'm glad he keeps getting roles.

#12- Road House
Road House.jpg

[Watched on Prime Video]

I love the original Road House so I was fully expecting a cheap remake that would lose the charm of the original film. Instead, we got an actually really fun movie that was only slightly "Road House" and in name only. Jake Gyllenhaal is ridiculously charismatic and while the movie is stupid and brutal, that's what we needed from it. Is it as good as the OG? No. But it was still a ton of fun.

#11- Frogman
Frogman.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

I love cryptids, always have, so seeing a Loveland Frogman movie was being made, I was sold. This is a cheap low-budget found footage movie with some really solid practical effects and I enjoyed it a ton. I'd definitely recommend it to people who like a good found footage monster movie.

PerGron

Original Poster
#10- Spaceman
Spaceman.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

I'm not a big Adam Sandler fan, but I always like him so much more in these drama films. I found the introspective elements of this really solid and the discussions on life and its meaning were solid. I also loved Hanuš the alien spider voiced by Paul Dano, he was a solid character.

#9- One Life
One Life.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I've seen the clip this movie is inspired by before and it really is emotional. The story of Nicholas Winton and the heroic deed he did rescuing Jewish children from Nazi occupation is super emotional and leaves you really angry and sad throughout it before that final clip where you probably can't hold the waterworks. My biggest issue here was it was a little bit long and boring in the middle.

#8- Wicked Little Letters
Wicked Little Letters.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

Like I said before, this movie was shockingly funny. It was something I probably wouldn't have had on my radar had it not been for the Regal Mystery Movie program, but I highly recommend everyone check it out, it's one of the better comedies of the year.

#7- Arthur the King
Arthur the King.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I'm a sucker for a dog movie and this is definitely better than something like A Dog's Purpose or whatever else. The adventure racing element of this was a lot of fun and when it got to the ending, the waterworks were going. It is a dog movie so you know what you're getting and if that's your thing or not, but for a dog movie, I found this to be a good one.

#6- The Truth vs. Alex Jones
The Truth vs. Alex Jones.jpg

[Watched on MAX]

I've never watched a documentary that made me so ridiculously angry before this one. The denial of a massive tragedy and attacking the parents of the victims is already abhorrent, but the details and footage from the court cases is so disgusting and upsetting. I definitely think this is one that everyone should watch, as uncomfortable and aggravating as it is.

#5- Little Wing
Little Wing.jpg

[Watched on Paramount+]

I adore a good coming-of-age story and I also famously love birds so a coming-of-age focusing on pigeon racing was definitely geared towards me. It is pretty standard for a coming-of-age story, but I love that type of movie so it works for me.

#4- You'll Never Find Me
You'll Never Find Me.jpg

[Watched on Shudder]

This one took me two watches to really appreciate it, but when I did I really did. This is a single-location psychological horror where you don't know who to trust nor if you should trust anyone. It's scary and creepy and definitely worth the watch.

#3- Love Lies Bleeding
Love Lies Bleeding.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I already said my piece on this one, but yeah, this was really solid until the very end where it lost me a bit. Still, definitely worth the watch!

#2- Late Night with the Devil
Late Night with the Devil.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I've also already said my piece on this one. I love it a lot but in good conscience cannot recommend you pay money to see it until they get rid of the AI. I'm sticking to my guns on that one. I'm not condoning piracy to watch this, but you know, if you stumble upon it...

#1- Dune: Part Two
Dune- Part Two.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

Yeah this should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody. This is a true masterpiece and everyone should see it on the biggest screen imaginable. I'd be genuinely shocked if this doesn't end up my #1 of the whole year.

So there's that, March 2024 in the books. I decided not to count Sting as it doesn't release until next month so expect to see that one in next month's. Some of the movies I'm most excited for this month include: Abigail, Champions, Civil War, and Monkey Man which I'll be seeing probably Saturday. See y'all with next month's list!​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom