The Imagineering Movie Discussion Thread

AceAstro

I got to see Love Lies Bleeding and Snack Shack today. Love Lies Bleeding was definitely an enjoyable time!

Snack Shack on the other hand is a complete blast and I hope it gets a wider release/ audience. It is such a fun movie that feels like a great summer comedy/ feel good movie

TheOriginalTiki

Just watched "The Triplets of Belleville" for the first time and loved it. Stylistically it was freaking breathtaking, and had some amazing character animation comedy to go along with it. There's like maybe half a dozen moments that are subtitled but otherwise the movie is so visual it can totally get by visually telling the story from beginning to end with minimal non-subtitled French dialogue you can easily fill in the blanks on. It feels like discovering another Yellow Submarine or something. Really bummed this director only has one other film credit to his name.
tripletsbelleville_e.jpg

MV5BNzI5MGIwZGQtYWQwNC00YTlmLWI4MmQtMzRmOGY1OGNlOGVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

x1080

DFIjIb7VYAAdbpI.jpg

Stylistically the closest thing I can compare it to is probably Cuphead, but it's VERY MUCH it's own thing.

PerGron

Original Poster
So apparently Late Night With the Devil features ai generated art in its title cards or something???

I’ve already bought my ticket so I’m gonna see it anyway, but what a bummer to ruin my hype for a movie that I was so insanely excited for

AceAstro

So apparently Late Night With the Devil features ai generated art in its title cards or something???

I’ve already bought my ticket so I’m gonna see it anyway, but what a bummer to ruin my hype for a movie that I was so insanely excited for
Yeah 3 title cards (with 1 being a major card apparently) are AI. It’s a major bummer for sure and now I’ll be waiting until it’s on streaming to watch it instead of going to the theatre when I was so excited to see it

PerGron

Original Poster
Alright so I triple featured today because we’ve got snow coming tomorrow and even though it’s probably only an inch or two, I just took the snow tires off my car so I ain’t going out. I’m gonna give my brief thoughts on the first two movies and go a bit into Late Night…

To kick it off, I went to see Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. I’m really a casual ghostbusters fan as I enjoy the original film but besides that and the 2016 remake I saw on a date and have since completely forgotten, I’ve not engaged with the franchise much. This was very much a “memberberries” legacy sequel but I thought it was better than some of those that have come out recently. Still, there are way way way too many characters here and the plot isn’t all that great. The best parts are all at the very beginning. Probably not one I’ll ever see again.

My second feature of the day was Immaculate which is a nun-themed horror movie that I assumed would be a bad possession movie but I was wrong. It wasn’t good, but also wasn’t possession so there’s that. I don’t want to give away what it actually is since I went in blind, but I will say, it shares some things in common with Jurassic Park. As for Sydney Sweeney, I feel like I’m the only guy on earth saying this but she’s really not that good an actor. She has her moments and she’s way better here than Madame Web, but I find her stiff, wooden, and robotic. The movie had interesting ideas but I wouldn’t see it again.

Now for Late Night with the Devil the movie I was so excited for until today right before seeing it. I’m gonna quickly say my thoughts about the movie then about its use of AI.

I adored this movie. I really really loved it, if it weren’t for the use of AI and my staunch position that it DOES NOT belong in films or television, I’d give this 5 stars. The acting is great, the placemaking is great, the story is great. It’s basically if The Holdovers was a horror movie with the 70s vibes. Truly an indie horror masterpiece.

As for the use of AI… it’s so ridiculously minimal that it’s a trivial issue. Not a trivial issue of “oh just ignore it” but a trivial issue of “why didn’t they just have someone draw that instead???” AI simply doesn’t belong in film and as much as I loved this whole movie, I cannot in good consciousness recommend anyone pay to go see it and support this. Should the creators genuinely apologize and replace the art with some made by actual humans, I’d absolutely recommend it however

TheOriginalTiki

The cult of personality around Sydney Sweeney is honestly really freaking gross to me. I feel like literally the only reason why she's such a big name is her looks. She's a great looking woman, don't get me wrong, but I totally agree that I've NEVER seen a performance of hers she wasn't wooden in and I just don't get the hype at all. I've been on the fence about seeing Immaculate and your review pretty much pushes me towards the not seeing it camp. It seems like the kind of movie that would really shine if someone like Natalie Portman or Mia Goth was the lead.

As for Late Night with the Devil, I too already bought tickets before the AI thing haha. Good on you for not actively recommending it based on that even if you loved the movie though. I certainly hope the creatives behind the film make things right. I have no idea why they felt the need to use AI with the use itself being so minimal and literally something you could pay someone a couple hundred bucks online to do some really good artwork out of. @MonorailRed is living proof that there's some FREAKISHLY good artists in the online space.

PerGron

Original Poster
The cult of personality around Sydney Sweeney is honestly really freaking gross to me. I feel like literally the only reason why she's such a big name is her looks. She's a great looking woman, don't get me wrong, but I totally agree that I've NEVER seen a performance of hers she wasn't wooden in and I just don't get the hype at all. I've been on the fence about seeing Immaculate and your review pretty much pushes me towards the not seeing it camp. It seems like the kind of movie that would really shine if someone like Natalie Portman or Mia Goth was the lead.
If it was another lead actress I think I’d have liked the movie way more. The writing is still a little lackluster so it wouldn’t be perfect, but I absolutely agree with a Portman or a Goth or someone else in that range.

As for the cult of personality, yeah it’s weird and creepy and this movie very much delves into it in a pretty gross way. She’s very much ogled at by the men in the movie and there are very scantily clad scenes and everything. Very generic and gross for a movie that didn’t need that stuff

TheOriginalTiki

If it was another lead actress I think I’d have liked the movie way more. The writing is still a little lackluster so it wouldn’t be perfect, but I absolutely agree with a Portman or a Goth or someone else in that range.

As for the cult of personality, yeah it’s weird and creepy and this movie very much delves into it in a pretty gross way. She’s very much ogled at by the men in the movie and there are very scantily clad scenes and everything. Very generic and gross for a movie that didn’t need that stuff
I also know that her character being a virgin is a major plot point so that certainly doesn't help with the gross ogling stuff. (Not to mention a pretty unbelievable character trait of a Sweeney role just in general... :p ;) )

spacemt354

Chili's
Now we know where the $200 Million budget for Joker 2 came from. It's a f***ing Jukebox Musical

Hildur Guðnadóttir provided one of the best scores of 2019...one of the reasons why I've excited but skeptical about this film

PerGron

Original Poster
Hildur Guðnadóttir provided one of the best scores of 2019...one of the reasons why I've excited but skeptical about this film
For sure. I’m not a Joker (2019) fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the score was phenomenal.

She’s still doing the score for the sequel so hopefully it gets to shine despite this baffling decision

AceAstro

Chaos Cat

TheOriginalTiki

So yea, the AI situation with Late Night with the Devil is indeed SUPER frustrating because generally speaking I loved the movie and think it's a new touchstone in the found footage sub genre which is absolutely one of my favorites in the horror space. The way the movie plays around with audience perspective in the last ten or so minutes was absolutely incredible, and the slow burn build up throughout the rest of the film was perfectly paced. The 1970s talk show is simply one of the most unique framing devices I've ever seen for a horror movie. It truly feels like you're watching the taping of an episode in real time, with the commercial breaks being behind the scenes black and white footage.

But yes, the AI definitely sucks and was genuinely painful to see every time they popped up. They take up maybe 10 total seconds of screen time but you just have to wonder why the hell they didn't bother hiring actual artists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom