Trip Report the "I can't eat anymore steak!!!, Wishes vs HEA, snake incident" Trip report. May 2017

IMG_6562nb.jpg

Disney Dreaming:inlove:

So we're back.... and I cannot even express the sadness I'm feeling already. There may have been silent tears.. who am I kidding!! There were definitely tears!! :bawling::bawling::bawling: I could put it down to jet lag but I feel its the PDD kicking in a little earlier than usual.:(
BUT
I thought what better way to try and pull myself through this emotional state (other than booking another trip...watch this space ;)) but to start my trip report for you lovely lot! But mostly so that I can re-live our fabulous and sometimes a little less fabulous holiday moments! :facepalm:

This trip has been so up and down for us with some things surpassing our expectations but with others failing miserably to meet our personal ones at all. That said, I'm not here to complain at all but just to express our personal experiences whilst we were there! They may be waaaaay different to others opinions.:):)
We also didn't know what to expect with travelling another family and there being so many of us which we just aren't used to. We realised about half way through the holiday that the plans that we all made together re: dining, park selections & pool time were very different to what we had all discussed before leaving, therefore myself, sister and mum decided it would be every man for themselves and they could fit in with us as and when they liked which seemed to work out really well for us..as you will find out! ;)

I warn you now...the first few days I COMPLETELY forgot (in my state of excitement and jetlag) to write any notes so I will be working purely from memory and hopefully photo prompts :)facepalm: MY BAD) which leads me nicely to photos.. I will now inform you that my photography skills are certainly not to the standard of some of the reports I have seen here..BUT.. I did give it my best go and I hope any photographers reading don't cringe too much!! :angelic:

So, without further ado, please sit back and (hopefully) enjoy the ride along our Disney Vacation!! A trip full of firsts, lasts, excitement, lots of sunshine, (a few) tears :oops: but oh so much magic!! :happy::inlove:

If you do fancy a read of my PTR just so you're filled in with who, what, where, when and why here it is http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/my-first-pre-trip-report-may-2017.924079/

Heeerreee weeeee goooooooo!!! :brb:

Last edited:

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
We wandered up to the Castle excitedly for our reservation. Everything was going well, we met Cinderella who was absolutely beautiful and a brilliant Cinders, and then we waited….and waited….aaaaaanddd waited. Until we were the last group in the waiting area. 45 minutes later, we were taken up to the dining hall. (We were given 2 x fast passes as an apology. I can think of worse places to sit to be perfectly honest)! The theme of the whole place is absolutely top notch. (we have a thing about good theming <<<is that a real word?o_O) It was a lot quieter than we thought it would be, that might be because it was around 8pm or just because of the actual space of the restaurant absorbed the noise. We were sat on a top section table just to the left of the main windows. And this is where the fun stops. :grumpy:
IMG_6634.JPG But first have a little picture
Our server…I don’t think I’m going to name names on this one. She was awful. There are 10 of us and she basically whispered the whole time. I was pretty much next to her and could barely hear. There was no welcome or...whats the word ...PAZAZZ (is that a really British word?) anyway. She had zero personality. I feel like if I worked in Cinderellas castle I'd be sooooo excited! So, we ordered drinks and she wandered off. Someone else brought us girls our wands and then 10 minutes later our menus.
IMG_6636.JPG
Our drinks were brought over and then our straws were thrown, yep thrown on the table. We then ordered our food. I ordered the Castle Salad to start which was just meh. Sis had the same and mum had the Charcuterie board which she didn’t actually like but that was because she didn’t like the meats. I on the other hand did. Everyone else seemed to eat theirs with little comment. I had the Beef and Shrimp (Steak number 1 of the holiday), mum had Pork Tenderloin and sis the same as me. Mum didn’t touch her pork as it was raw and it put her off. I on the other hand really liked the steak but it was freezing cold. Additionally, there was no new cutlery brought to the table, so we waited until our server came back to ask for some more. Everyone was in agreement that it was cold. Hannahs salad did look delicious however and there looked like there was a lot of steak. There wasn’t any wait between started and main, they even took Hannah's plate from underneath her while she was eating o_Oo_Oo_O. Oh, and at this point our server decided it would be the right moment to ask to scan each rooms magic bands for the dining plan. What the?! Please can I eat my dinner?! :cautious::cautious:

The rest of the starter plates were still on our table to the point where we started to pile them up ourselves and moved them. The princesses then came up to take pictures with us as we were half way through our main. Was nice to get some pictures with them though- I did skip some pictures because I was conscious my dinner might either get taken away or go colder.

By this point we were all a bit flat as it was just not what we were expecting it to be like. It was also Davids 30th Birthday which was obviously a special occasion. But all was not lost. Wishes started. That is an experience that I won’t forget. I went down to the windows (making sure I wasn’t imposing on someone’s’ dinner) and stood and watched them from a completely different vantage point.
IMG_6638.JPG Not great ones of the fireworks but sis got some. I feel like my end post will be a gathering of all the photos I dont have to hand while writing this!!! So if anything...just stay tuned until then!!
IMG_6637.JPG

When this finished, dessert had already been left on the table about 10 minutes before. I had the Jaq & Gus which was the best dish of the night. Sis had the Clock Strikes Twelve and said it was lovely and chocolatey. Niambh had a “make your own cupcake” dessert which she seemed to love as the plate was empty!!

It was around 9:30pm before we left but not before myself and Kay had a quiet and polite word with the manager about our experience. Now I am 100% not “one of those people” and I always see the good in Disney which is why we felt so let down by the whole dinner. As a 2 credit Signature restaurant, you expect a lot better service than we had. In my opinion, they rely on the fact that you’re there to see the Princesses and to be able to say you have had dinner at Cinderellas Castle rather than expecting good service and food.

I completely understand that others may have had a GREAT experience with this restaurant but I would go as far as saying I wouldn’t go there again.

Disclaimer incase people are rolling their eyes whilst reading this: I promise I’m not a whiney whinger and as much as it seems that I’m complaining AAAALLL THE TIME.. I love Disney and I just want to be as honest as I can be on my report I know a lot of reports I read before we went, helped me with the honest opinions of experiences at restaurants.
IMG_6640.JPG
SO…. I think after we left (with one dining credit refunded back to each of us), we headed to a relaxing boat ride. Yes that’s right.. we rode IASW twice within 3 days :facepalm:!! The park was closing at 11pm tonight so we headed to our last boat ride of the day, POTC with no queue. WOO. It seems the water cannons were a little more powerful than usual and we all got absolutely drenched :joyfull: !! Nothing like Captain Jack Sparrow to lighten the mood :inlove:

We headed out of the MK about 10:30pm and back to the hotel to get ourselves ready for a full day at Animal Kingdom. Me mum and sis had an early morning safari booked which we were super excited for!!!!!

Next up… Safari Jane and Yeti Madness!!

Last edited:

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Day 4- Safari time and a trip to the Wilderness

Time for my favourite park. Animal Kingdom. This wasn’t open during our first visit in 1997, but had newly opened when we were there 1999. It is so beautiful and I love how you don’t for one minute, feel like you’re in a theme park.
IMG_6641.JPG

Me, mum and sis had an early morning safari booked between 9:10-10:10am. We had a quick breakfast at the hotel, all dressed in our jungle gear, and headed straight there! If I remember rightly, the rest of the group had a lay in and went to the pool until just after lunch time and headed to AK then.

I just love wandering up through this park. We didn’t see DiVine..or maybe we did…but I couldn’t actually see her:p . I was excited to walk through the park during the evening another night with all the lamps lit. We got to the Tree of Life and thought we would take a few piccys before we got too sweaty & it was straight on to our FP+. ;)
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_8028617532 (1).jpeg Do we look safari ready!? :joyfull:

We were hoping, that with it being early morning and slightly cooler, that the animals would be more awake, (and by animals, I mean I want this to be the 1 hour of the day that the lions would be up). I would say that we were quite lucky with the animals that we did see and for the first time, one of the lionesses was stood up. Wooooooo! I was begging her to roar but I can’t have it all:rolleyes::rolleyes:. I did manage to get some photos but as we all know it’s rather bumpy out there and I just wanted to watch. Unfortunately, the microphone of our tour guide kept cutting in and out so I kind of stopped listening after a few minutes and just enjoyed the view.

IMG_6650.JPG
IMG_6652.JPG Elephants are just gorgeous! :inlove: The little guy in the right corner ran right across and down into the water for a little bath!!

It is always so hot in Animal Kingdom and today was no different, even by 10am. Every chance we got we wandered through the shops and through the air con &just drank ever so much water.
Our next fast past was for Expedition Everest. We had only ridden this on our last trip in 2014 as it was not built on previous trips. We had a little time to wait until we could ride as it was between 11:45-12:45am so we meandered up through Asia and across to sit for a while. We left mum under a shaded seating area with our things and went to find the Yeti. We were in the middle of the train for this ride and although still good… there’s nothing better than being at the back. HOW do they make you feel like you’re going upside down?! I love it!!!!

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_8028753682.jpeg

We decided the best way to tackle this park was to take it slow, so we just mooched around and absorbed the atmosphere. It was about lunch time so we found ourselves at the Yak and Yeti quick service. I had the Honey Chicken with white rice which was absolutely gorgeous, mum had the salad which she said was very bland and sis had a side of chicken rice which she really enjoyed.

IMG_1502.JPG

All happy and full (mum helped herself to my lunch....:rolleyes:), we soon found ourselves in Africa and saw that the Lion King show was about to start at 1pm. It would be nice to sit in the air con for a while. On our way in, my sister noticed a CM with a blue badge, which she informed me meant they were a Disney World Legacy’s. So cool.

As always, the Lion King show was beautiful and entertaining :inlove:. We were in the Giraffe section for this show. I can’t help singing along for most of the show!!;)

The rest of the group had text us to tell us they were in the park and did we want to meet them for lunch but obviously we had already eaten so just met them for a quick catch up at the Yak and Yeti again. Their plan was to do all the park now and stay through the evening until our dining reservation at Wilderness Lodge but we were ready to head back to the resort and chill. We all had FP+ for Kali River Rapids at 4:45pm but we decided to head out and swim before tonight.

We went to get our mugs and drinks from the food court and then to the quiet pool. We didn’t have any problems getting sunbeds at all through the whole stay.

Next up…Cowboys and Indians & did we ask for Ketchup?

Last edited:

12in12

Thanks for reminding me about Virgin! I flew with them a few years ago and didn't really like it but sort of forgot why. I was checking flights for my trip in January and Virgin came out slightly cheaper so was leaning towards booking with them but after reading your TR I just booked my usual BA Gatwick to Orlando.

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Thanks for reminding me about Virgin! I flew with them a few years ago and didn't really like it but sort of forgot why. I was checking flights for my trip in January and Virgin came out slightly cheaper so was leaning towards booking with them but after reading your TR I just booked my usual BA Gatwick to Orlando.

Oh I'm glad my report helped you remember!!! We were really shocked because we flew with them when we would go in the 1990's and they were great, but after comparing previous BA flights to New York and our last Disney trip, BA definitely win! I don't know where you are but, we live North UK so the only issue we have is the 7hr drive or expensive train to get to Gatwick and back again! Manchester is so convenient! X

12in12

I am in London so Gatwick is easy for me. The last time I flew Virgin Economy the plane was very dirty. I always bring wipes with me when I fly to clean the tray etc. but that time it was impossible to clean everything. Loads of dust and grime in the vents and between seats etc.
Happy to be flying with British Airways!

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
I am in London so Gatwick is easy for me. The last time I flew Virgin Economy the plane was very dirty. I always bring wipes with me when I fly to clean the tray etc. but that time it was impossible to clean everything. Loads of dust and grime in the vents and between seats etc.
Happy to be flying with British Airways!
Ah yes my brother lives right near Gatwick so it's easy for them but just not for us!!
I think I'd even be tempted next time to do a connecting flight from Manchester to London and then on to Orlando, just to get the BA flight. It just depends on cost and time really though because it's already a long journey! I would maybe weigh up prices for a virgin upgrade too!!
I hope you have a fab holiday :)

12in12

My trip is still 7 months away but I know it will be wonderful. I have flown all three classes of Virgin (upper class was a work trip), Economy is the worst, the premium is nice because you have more space but I still found the seats uncomfortable. Upper Class was really nice because you have a flat bed but BA business is nicer imho.
For your next trip maybe do a little stop over in London before flying out of Gatwick. Can you stay at your brother's?

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Great commentary on Cindy's royal table
That meal straight up sucked based on your description

I am glad you were all credited back one of the two credits

Max

Hi Max,

It really did and we are so disappointed. :( The only good thing was seeing Wishes from up in the castle (which I PROMISE I will get the pictures for from my sister! :facepalm:) I hope it doesn't actually put people off going because I've read that so many others have had a great time. I must say though..if the steak had been hot and I hadn't had to start eating it with my fingers...I think it would have been lovely. :geek:
Yes the manager was very good and completely understood where we were coming from with our comments! :)

John park hopper

I was wonderig with Paris Disney so close to England why do so many from England make the long trip to Orlando. Having never been to the Paris Disneyland is it not as good as Disney World. Meet a couple from Scotland when we were @ Disney World in May who said they came to Orlando every year never thought to ask them. I'm just curious about the difference

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I was wonderig with Paris Disney so close to England why do so many from England make the long trip to Orlando. Having never been to the Paris Disneyland is it not as good as Disney World. Meet a couple from Scotland when we were @ Disney World in May who said they came to Orlando every year never thought to ask them. I'm just curious about the difference
I can't speak for all , but for us it is price. For a short break in Paris can cost nearly as much as 2 weeks in Florida. Plus WDW has sunshine pretty much all year round.

12in12

Disneyland Paris is a lot smaller than WDW, it doesn't offer even a quarter of what WDW does. Not nearly as many rides, parades, shows etc. Very few restaurants and hotels. Disneyland Paris is nice but after 3 days you have seen it all, not to mention most of the CM's are French and they lack the friendliness of the Americans. To me Disneyland Paris feels more like a very well done amusement park not the magical place that is Disney World;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom