The House Cup: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
HouseCup_zpskvhdsoke.png

Welcome everyone!

Once again, thank you all for making this possible. I can't tell you how excited I am to see so much interest and enthusiasm - I have a really good feeling that this event will be able to bring everyone together as a great kickoff to summer!

With that said, for the next week or so, the players in the competition can use this thread to talk about challenge ideas and give each other feedback so we can come to an agreement and vote on the top 7 challenges we all like by the start of the competition!

So it doesn't disappear or get swallowed in a sea of posts - here's the guidelines once more for how to create a House Cup challenge from the Announcement Thread

Guidelines for Creating House Cup Imagineering Challenges

1 - Think as a contestant: Basically think as yourself, what projects would you like to do in this competition?
2 - Think about timelines and teamwork: You want your challenge idea to fit into a 7-9 day window of time...something that is feasible to do in that time period. You also have to think about what would benefit a team the most? What would make it less stressful on you and give everyone the opportunity to contribute?

(I used this analogy on the podcast) For example: You probably wouldn't want a team of upwards of 6 people working on a hot dog stand, or something as simple as that, for a week. However, you also wouldn't want to design an entire resort with multiple theme parks, etc in a week either.

Basically - try not to undershoot or overshoot the timeline, and keep in the back of your mind...in a few weeks when you're in your teams, what type of challenges would be most beneficial and accessible to a team of armchair-imagineers.

3 - When I post the Challenge Discussion Thread tomorrow I'm going to tag everyone who's signed up so far so we can spit-ball ideas. What will happen is for the next week or so (until TSI is over) we can talk about, edit, create challenges together, and then we put them all up for a vote, and everyone votes for their top 7 challenges.

The top 7 challenges will then be put into the Gringotts Vault and the games will begin with the sorting hat ceremony! :D

Here's also a link if you ever wanted to go back to the Announcement Thread:

And lastly, as of Saturday May 14th at 10:30 AM EST here's the full cast list for The House Cup!

@Brer Panther
@ToInfinityAndBeyond
@deere839
@IAmNotAHufflepuff
@mickeyfan5534
@The90skid
@KingOfEpicocity
@DSquared
@spacemt354
@Mattyice16
@Tony the Tigger
@Flippin'Flounder
@DlpPhantom
@RMichael21
@tcool123
@David2319
@Sam4D23
@Basketbuddy101
@Matt7187
@ctxak98
@JokersWild
@Fox&Hound
@michmousefan
@MCParradox
@GMR710
@BNImagineer
@IDInstitute
@disneydf
@captainmoch
@TheOriginalTiki
@OwlSong74
@Disney Dad 3000
@SimulatedIntelligentRobot
@GrumpyFan
@brb1006
@Poe Dameron

Thank you once again to everyone! This is really incredible! Here's some theme music to kick it off!:cool:

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
And as a special thanks for showing interest, (and hopefully joining!) here's a list of cast who stated they are interested! You all can join in the fun too and thank you!

@Simon Sulk
@orlando678-
@Basketbuddy101
@Doodlyday

And also note that everyone is welcome in the thread (muggles aka on-lookers) as well! I only tagged the people who are in the comp/interested because we have a job to do this next week!

We gotta make the challenges:cool:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
From how much fun Disneyland Brazil's nighttime shows were for me to create, how about creating a new nighttime entertainment package (parade/show/fireworks) for one of the parks? And glad to be here. A childhood dream come true.
A nighttime show would be sweet! Something different we really haven't done in a while....at least since TSI Season 1 maybe? And that was for Wishes... @RMichael21 you can correct me if I'm wrong:p

Also glad you are here! :D

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
My first idea for a challenge was to imagine if the Swan and Dolphin never existed, and you have to design a WDW Deluxe Resort to be placed in that area in the current day.

For teams (that will most likely be 6 people each at this point) I think a resort is a great way to give everyone on the team something to do, even if it's just a paragraph of description.

For a deluxe resort you could have all different sections

- Hotel Backstory/Lobby Descriptions for the people who love creative writing on the team
- Images of the hotel for people who like art
- Someone can take the resort's pool area and go crazy designing it
- for people who like creating menus - they can take the dining aspect
- Outdoor/recreation activities
- And if someone on the team is more busy that round, there are smaller paragraph areas that they could take on the project so everyone is still involved!

I have more, but I really want to hear what others think - the nighttime show was awesome!

@David2319 I know you had an idea in the announcement thread if you want to share it here!

IAmNotAHufflepuff

I have I couple of ideas that might be worth sharing-

- Completely redesign Disney Quest in Orlando to fit the Disney Springs Theme. You could either modernize the Disney Quest concept inside or demolish the building and do something else with it.

- Pull off a successful Guardians of the Galaxy TOT overlay. :p:oops::arghh::arghh:

- Finish the DCA makeover by redesigning Hollywood Land. The only trick is you have to use the Hollywood theme. No Marvel allowed! :p

- What if Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was actually frightening? The task would be to take the Magic Kingdoms Halloween event and crank the scare factor up to 11!

- Design an E-ticket for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for Universal Studios Hollywood in the place of Dragon Challenge.

Thoughts? :rolleyes:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I have I couple of ideas that might be worth sharing-

- Completely redesign Disney Quest in Orlando to fit the Disney Springs Theme. You could either modernize the Disney Quest concept inside or demolish the building and do something else with it.

- Pull off a successful Guardians of the Galaxy TOT overlay. :p:oops::arghh::arghh:

- Finish the DCA makeover by redesigning Hollywood Land. The only trick is you have to use the Hollywood theme. No Marvel allowed! :p

- What if Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was actually frightening? The task would be to take the Magic Kingdoms Halloween event and crank the scare factor up to 11!

- Design an E-ticket for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for Universal Studios Hollywood in the place of Dragon Challenge.

Thoughts? :rolleyes:
The Disney Quest one could lead to a ton of possibilities!! Especially on a team setting - people who love gaming could just go all out re-desiging it...but people who aren't can take it and put a different spin on it! The possibilities are endless!

Great job!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I made this last summer to help create challenges for The Choice, it's just a brief overview of challenge topics over the last few years for week-long challenge style comps.

I'll post it here to help out a bit! Also you can check out @Flippin'Flounder / @IDInstitute 's Imagineering Appendix pinned to the top of the forum for more detailed challenge requirements for the rounds - below are just the topics

Master of the Parks
New BatB ride
Imagination redo
Destroying Dinoland
Lost Continent Uni redo

WED Think Different Challenge
"Plus" an attraction
Design a new attraction
Create a next gen 4D experience for a park
A new land/ride with new tech
Opening day dark ride for Disneyland 1955

SA Season 1
New campaign for WDW
Future World Redo
Storybook Circus
Virtual 5th Gate
New ride for Universal Studios Florida Park
New restaurant for DTD
New WDW Water Park

SA Season 2
Disneyland Paris expansion plot
WDS park E-ticket based on: Avengers, Oz, etc
24 hours for a new continent for DAK (20 sentences)
Marvel Superhero Island redo
Advertising campaign for WDS Paris
HKDL Toy Story Playland replacement
Hotel for Shanghai DL
Create Shanghai's Haunted Mansion
Create a new port at Tokyo Disneysea
New ride for WS - needs to be a fast roller coaster
Design international Disney Cruise ship transportation
Finale - A Blue Sky park concept

ICS E8
TTC redo
DHS nighttime show
WS expansion

The Sole Imagineer
Ice-Cream Dessert Location
New WS attraction with water
Warner Bros IP to WDW
Fantasyland Dark ride to AK
New AK Restaurant
Imagination redo
WDW 50th campaign
Uni Walk-through
DL Subs redo
Table Service Fronteirland restaurant
New DHS land
DL Tomorrowland Expo redo
New MK fireworks show
WDW Expansion plan

The Creator Games
Stitch redo
7 WDW attraction refurbs
Discovery Island
JttCotE, Transportation, Avatar
New WS attraction
DHS new show
Tomorrowland redo
3 new hotels, WoL redo
1 original attraction
10 new additions to one park

Flippin'Flounder

Lets get this going! How many pages do we need to beat SA 2?
From how much fun Disneyland Brazil's nighttime shows were for me to create, how about creating a new nighttime entertainment package (parade/show/fireworks) for one of the parks? And glad to be here. A childhood dream come true.
I think doing a parade, firework, and nighttime castle show would be good for MK. Also, for the 2000-2009 WDAS thing, I think we should be able to put it in any Disney Park, so everything would be unique. I don't think there have ever been challenges like that.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think doing a parade, firework, and nighttime castle show would be good for MK. Also, for the 2000-2009 WDAS thing, I think we should be able to put it in any Disney Park, so everything would be unique. I don't think there have ever been challenges like that.
I don't think so either - I like the option to put it anywhere!

What does everyone think?

RMichael21

A nighttime show would be sweet! Something different we really haven't done in a while....at least since TSI Season 1 maybe? And that was for Wishes... @RMichael21 you can correct me if I'm wrong:p

Also glad you are here! :D
Yep, that hasn't been done around here in a really long time. I don't think we've done a whole package in an extremely long time. But, creating a new fireworks show for MK was the final reward challenge last year for TSI and we had to make a new nighttime show for DHS for E8 #1. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom