The Great Movie Ride

seahawk7

Original Poster
So if you could remake The Great Movie Ride with movies that you think are relevant and current what movies would you want? You could decide the clips you want shown, the scenarios you want and even the script you want the CMs to follow. I apologize if this is a repeat thread.

I'm wanting to see
Ghostbusters with the scene where Bill Murray and Co are on their first ghost assignment,
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(Gene Wilder version) with us riding through the scene where he takes the kids into the candy land he has created,
Sound of Music mostly for the music
Beverly Hills Cop to showcase Eddie Murphy (PG of course)

I'll think of more and maybe change my mind on some. I'm curious on your thoughts.

Cmdr_Crimson

So if you could remake The Great Movie Ride with movies that you think are relevant and current what movies would you want? You could decide the clips you want shown, the scenarios you want and even the script you want the CMs to follow. I apologize if this is a repeat thread.

I'm wanting to see
Ghostbusters with the scene where Bill Murray and Co are on their first ghost assignment,
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(Gene Wilder version) with us riding through the scene where he takes the kids into the candy land he has created,
Sound of Music mostly for the music
Beverly Hills Cop to showcase Eddie Murphy (PG of course)

I'll think of more and maybe change my mind on some. I'm curious on your thoughts.

Yep! It's been asked...http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/great-movie-ride.831900/

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Why not films made/owned by Disney..? Last time I check, the area was called "Disney World."

It's things like TGMR and Avatarland that I'm not liking so far... and I'm guessing it's just because they're not Disney-related. That's just my personal opinion though. Disney has plenty of movies and movie series to make attractions out of. Why is there a reason to put other movie companies works in a Disney park? I don't know, I just never approved of these things.

Back on topic, I'd love to put scenes from these movies in there..

Hercules
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Narnia
Avengers
Maleficent
The Lone Ranger
The Muppets
Winnie the Pooh
Nightmare Before Christmas
Newsies

IWantMyMagicBand

I hate hate hate the Alien scene. It's so unexpected and I don't have enough hands to shield my 4 kids ear and eyes in that scene. I can't skip the ride as they love Wizard of Oz. I went in 1991 then in 2012. In the last scene (the movie theatre) only 4 new movies had been added. I'd ditch Alien, and the CM interaction with gangster (love the sound of your voice, much?). I'd add Herbie, definitely Avengers, and the Lantern scene from Tangled.

seahawk7

Original Poster
Why not films made/owned by Disney..? Last time I check, the area was called "Disney World."

It's things like TGMR and Avatarland that I'm not liking so far... and I'm guessing it's just because they're not Disney-related. That's just my personal opinion though. Disney has plenty of movies and movie series to make attractions out of. Why is there a reason to put other movie companies works in a Disney park? I don't know, I just never approved of these things.

Back on topic, I'd love to put scenes from these movies in there..

Hercules
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Narnia
Avengers
Maleficent
The Lone Ranger
The Muppets
Winnie the Pooh
Nightmare Before Christmas
Newsies
this is a great idea. I would go for this too. But then would it be just another ride that is similar to a dark ride?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm just saying. It's Disney. Even Disney Channel shouldn't have to play other company movies. Seriously, why? Doesn't make sense to me.
I will try to explain it:
  • Disney Channel is in the business of selling advertising space during and between shows
  • Harry Potter attracts viewers
  • Said viewers watch commercials
  • Smart computer systems compiles viewership info
  • Disney uses this info to charge advertisers commensurate rates for showing their commercials

seahawk7

Original Poster
I hate hate hate the Alien scene. It's so unexpected and I don't have enough hands to shield my 4 kids ear and eyes in that scene. I can't skip the ride as they love Wizard of Oz. I went in 1991 then in 2012. In the last scene (the movie theatre) only 4 new movies had been added. I'd ditch Alien, and the CM interaction with gangster (love the sound of your voice, much?). I'd add Herbie, definitely Avengers, and the Lantern scene from Tangled.
I could totally see how that Alien scene would be scary. Yea if your child wants to see the Wizard of Oz but that Alien scares them, thats unfortunate. My daughter thinks the whole ride is scary because your tram gets hijacked by a gangster lol.

IWantMyMagicBand

I could totally see how that Alien scene would be scary. Yea if your child wants to see the Wizard of Oz but that Alien scares them, thats unfortunate. My daughter thinks the whole ride is scary because your tram gets hijacked by a gangster lol.
We've been fortunate enough that every time was walk on. Are there even warnings that adult, over 18, films are featured?

seahawk7

Original Poster
We've been fortunate enough that every time was walk on. Are there even warnings that adult, over 18, films are featured?
Good point. Yea Alien is a scary movie and they do show some scary scenes even on screen when waiting in line. I wonder if people have complained?
In the souvenir shop by Backlot Tour, I recently bought a book on the 1001 scary movies and there was some scary images (duh) as well as nudity. Personally, I didn't think it should be out for everyone to see. What if a child picked it up?

WondersOfLife

this is a great idea. I would go for this too. But then would it be just another ride that is similar to a dark ride?

I'd hope not. I still want the tour guides up front and with some interactive scene from them as well. I could see them being interactive with maybe a Pirates or a Indiana Jones scene!

WondersOfLife

I will try to explain it:
  • Disney Channel is in the business of selling advertising space during and between shows
  • Harry Potter attracts viewers
  • Said viewers watch commercials
  • Smart computer systems compiles viewership info
  • Disney uses this info to charge advertisers commensurate rates for showing their commercials

• More Harry Potter fans wanting to see the new expansion at Uni. instead of Pirates at Disney.

Woohooooooo.... Smarticles Disney, I applaud your methods.

Thrill

The Godfather all day.

The easy answer: because Hollywood Studios is about movies, not about Disney. It's the exact same premise as EPCOT Center. Disney didn't invent the Internet, and can hardly even design a functional website, but the generalized idea of the Internet is included in Spaceship Earth, rather than just an ad for Disney.com.

The harder answer: because Disney's films don't exist in a vacuum. There are no Disney-only movie theaters unless you're on a Disney Cruise Liner. Disney doesn't wall itself from other movie studios, unable to look out and see the competition. Some of these movies influenced Disney. Once upon a time, Indiana Jones was a licensed property. Its success paved the way for adventurers like Captain Jack Sparrow to take the box office by storm in later years. Others are simply a reflection on our culture: Alien squares in on fears; westerns are "the" American genre. Others still have become cultural icons on a scale which few Disney films have been able to achieve, such as The Wizard of Oz. These can't be ignored by a park claiming to be about "Hollywood."

Moreover, how much of Disney is truly Disney? The only all in-house properties worth speaking of (outside of the Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm buyouts) are Mickey and the gang, Lilo and Stitch, and Pirates (but only the first one). Tron is pushing it, I think. Everything else is either ripped from pre-existing mythology, fairy tales, legends, and novels. Disney only made the movie Mary Poppins, not Mary Poppins. If Disney builds a ride based on a movie they didn't make, it's more or less same thing as producing a movie based on characters they didn't make.

On the map and on the signs posted throughout the queue: "May be frightening for small children."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom