The Great Goofini

jt04

What exactly is the point of the Great Goofini? I know that it is a stepping stone to get kids on Space and BTMRR, but the mine train coaster will likely have a height requirement as low or lower than Goofini/Barnstormer. Could they have other plans for the area? Maybe the ride is a dead man walking now, taking up space until something better comes along. Ironically, this is a similar position that Goofy's Sky Skool is in at DCA.

I think it has everything to do with Legoland which will have several coasters aimed at younger guests. I think Goofini is here to stay, which is fine. Sky Skool really clashes with the new theming in the immediate area it is in which I think is the reason it will be removed someday. It also blocks views from the hotel and towards the hotel.

I have seen pics of all the new additions in the sky skool area and it is really amazing especially at night and I am sure they have much more planned for that area in the long term.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think it has everything to do with Legoland which will have several coasters aimed at younger guests. I think Goofini is here to stay, which is fine. Sky Skool really clashes with the new theming in the immediate area it is in which I think is the reason it will be removed someday. It also blocks views from the hotel and towards the hotel.

I have seen pics of all the new additions in the sky skool area and it is really amazing especially at night and I am sure they have much more planned for that area in the long term.

Let it go, Jt. FLE was well in the works before Legoland FL was even a concept.

The Goofini coaster is there because it was a holdover from ToonTown, and a popular ride with children. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a response to anything.....

jt04

Let it go, Jt. FLE was well in the works before Legoland FL was even a concept.

The Goofini coaster is there because it was a holdover from ToonTown, and a popular ride with children. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a response to anything.....

Wrong. Next you will try to say the the Studios had nothing to do with Universal or DAK had nothing to do with IoA/BG or River Country had nothing to do with Wet-n-Wild or The Living Seas had nothing to do with Sea World (I could go on and on)....

....and when they finally do announce a potter swatter, you will probably say it has nothing to do with TWWoHP. :lol:

dizpins14

Disney has continually said the moving and doubling of Dumbo is to meet ridership demand. I say, just by moving Dumbo from it's iconic, behind Cinderella's Castle spot, will decrease demand for the ride.

Many WDW commercials in the 80s and 90s had a family flying in Dumbo with Fireworks or the castle behind them. All of that will be lost in the move. So basically this mini-land just for Dumbo is pointless, in my books.

Only time will tell if I am wrong.

MKCP 1985

Disney has continually said the moving and doubling of Dumbo is to meet ridership demand. I say, just by moving Dumbo from it's iconic, behind Cinderella's Castle spot, will decrease demand for the ride.

Many WDW commercials in the 80s and 90s had a family flying in Dumbo with Fireworks or the castle behind them. All of that will be lost in the move. So basically this mini-land just for Dumbo is pointless, in my books.

yeah, Dumbo has always been associated with the castles at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, but his story doesn't really have anything to do with fairytale castles, now does it?

with the move, you trade a 30-45 minute wait in the sun to zoom around for 90 seconds with views of the castle and the carousel and Pinocchio's restaurant for an indoor queue where you play free carnival games for 30-45 minutes before spending 90 seconds flying around in a circus atmosphere befitting a circus elephant.

As much as I've associated the Dumbo ride my entire life with the medieval fair setting, I have to admit the circus re-boot makes more sense. I suspect it will be just as popular as ever because of the games. In the short term, we can probably expect Dumbo to get just as much marketing attention in his new location as Disney markets its Fantasyland expansion, but the ads of the 2010 decade won't show castles and fireworks with Dumbo like the earlier ones you mentioned may have done.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wrong. Next you will try to say the the Studios had nothing to do with Universal or DAK had nothing to do with IoA/BG or River Country had nothing to do with Wet-n-Wild or The Living Seas had nothing to do with Sea World (I could go on and on)....

....and when they finally do announce a potter swatter, you will probably say it has nothing to do with TWWoHP. :lol:

Tell you what, I'll let Lee explain it again (as he has done so many times before).

Learn to let it go, Jt. You just keep making yourself look ridiculous (which apparently you enjoy):

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4514105&postcount=63

ChristianG

Original Poster

No, you're right, it's original spot was behind the castle, and it was great there. But this move makes a lot more sense. The ride will have a quicker queue, interactive circus games, the queue will be in the shade, and it will be in a more fitting spot (Storybook Circus) rather than behind the castle.

So there's really no harm from this move, unless you're really nostaglic.

G00fyDad

I am pretty nostalgic and would like to see Dumbo stay put. But on the other hand I see the need for the second ride and the queue space. We always go during one of the slowest times of the year and my God it is a long wait for that ride. :eek:

jt04

Tell you what, I'll let Lee explain it again (as he has done so many times before).

Learn to let it go, Jt. You just keep making yourself look ridiculous (which apparently you enjoy):

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4514105&postcount=63

Lee is good at repeating the party line when necessary. Disney will never admit they are responding to the competion (no business does normally) but some things are obvious. I don't think Disney even acknowledged that Disney-MGM Studios had anything to do with Universal. So, I stand by what I know. You can believe whatever it is you need to believe.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Lee is good at repeating the party line when necessary. Disney will never admit they are responding to the competion (no business does normally) but some things are obvious. I don't think Disney even acknowledged that Disney-MGM Studios had anything to do with Universal. So, I stand by what I know. You can believe whatever it is you need to believe.

Yes, plans for FLE being put developed a full six years before Merlin Entertainment announced their decision to build a park an hour away from WDW. That is definitely the same as Disney competing with Universal Studios, a park that is literally across town....

I know you have the need to see a greater conspiracy in everything, but this is simply not one of those times.....

David S.

EXCELLENT points! Perhaps inspired by those commercials, I began experimenting with riding Dumbo during the fireworks when I first moved to the area (now seasonally) in 2006. And I LOVED it! It's the only attraction that you can ride during the fireworks in which you can still focus on the fireworks really well, still hear the audio, etc.

And the view is AMAZING! The ride is perfectly positioned symetrically behind the castle to be in the center of it all. You can see the shells going off all around you - the Castle shells, and the shells from behind the park. When you can time it just right to be airborne during the Grand Finale, this effect is even more sublime - especially for shows like Fantasy In the Sky (New Year's Eve) when they have the "perimeter shells"!

One of my most cherished WDW memories to this day is NYE 2006/07 (my first NYE at WDW). The crowds were packed like sardines on the ground during the fireworks, even in Fantasyland, yet Dumbo was a WALK-ON! Since there was no line, the CM's let the few of us on the ride keep staying on during the entire show, so I saw the entire NYE show from the air, except for when Dumbo landed, which was still a good viewpoint. Right before the Grand Finale started, when Mickey and the gang started counting down backwards from 10 to ring in 2007, the CMs stopped the ride at it's highest position, when all the Dumbos automatically rise to the top near the end of the cycle. This guaranteed that everyone on that cycle had a perfect bird's eye view (or in this case, elephant's eye view :) ) of the entire Grand Finale.

As one can imagine, this entire experience BLEW ME AWAY and was truly one of those unexpected Disney Magical Moments I will NEVER forget.

No, you're right, it's original spot was behind the castle, and it was great there. But this move makes a lot more sense. The ride will have a quicker queue, interactive circus games, the queue will be in the shade, and it will be in a more fitting spot (Storybook Circus) rather than behind the castle.

You make great points about the expanded capacity and theming. As Dumbo is my favorite movie, I am curious to experience the new format myself, as any music, characters, references, and storytelling from the film that they can incorporate into the new version will certainly be welcome by me.

However, I will also miss the current location. NOT because of nostalgia, but because I'll be losing my favorite location in the park from which to view the fireworks! Sure, you will still see them from the new location, but it will feel more removed and off-center, in an Astro-Orbiter sort of way, rather than having the sense of being surrounded by them.

jt04

Yes, plans for FLE being put developed a full six years before Merlin Entertainment announced their decision to build a park an hour away from WDW. That is definitely the same as Disney competing with Universal Studios, a park that is literally across town....

I know you have the need to see a greater conspiracy in everything, but this is simply not one of those times.....

Like I said before, the have hundreds of plans they can draw from the archives, mix and match, reimagine, update etc etc. The FLE fit because it was a good response to the Legoland model and, I believe that since it was such perfect counter-programming to Potter, the deal was sealed. Of course the clincher for me was removing m&g mountain and adding in the kids mine coaster which happened quite recently.

Case closed. :wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Like I said before, the have hundreds of plans they can draw from the archives, mix and match, reimagine, update etc etc. The FLE fit because it was a good response to the Legoland model and, I believe that since it was such perfect counter-programming to Potter, the deal was sealed. Of course the clincher for me was removing m&g mountain and adding in the kids mine coaster which happened quite recently.

You truly are in denial. Even Steve has shot you down before (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4533197&postcount=23). Give it a rest. The FLE plans (just them) were in discussion for six years, well before Cypress Gardens became part of Marlin Entertainment, and Legoland. And even then, Legoland is only introducing one new coaster.

And no one believes FLE was meant to be direct competition to WWoHP. it's not even close. MK needed more capacity, and the FLE was the ideal means to bring that about.

Not everything is some great interrelated conspiracy.....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You truly are in denial. Even Steve has shot you down before (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4533197&postcount=23). Give it a rest. The FLE plans (just them) were in discussion for six years, well before Cypress Gardens became part of Marlin Entertainment, and Legoland. And even then, Legoland is only introducing one new coaster.

And no one believes FLE was meant to be direct competition to WWoHP. it's not even close. MK needed more capacity, and the FLE was the ideal means to bring that about.

Not everything is some great interrelated conspiracy

You will NEVER convince JT of that...:lol:

jt04

You will NEVER convince JT of that...:lol:

Exactly. :lol:

Besides whenever I make a point he acts like I never said it two minutes later. For instance I never said the FLE was direct competion for Potter. In fact I said the opposite and called it "counter-programming".

I'm dropping it because any discussion with 49rs is pointless.

I finally saw a decent depiction of the train station. We ain't in Europe anymore (more like Kansas) which has its plusses. Someone made the point that a family could take the train from MSUSA to Circusville quite easily and that creates a certain immersion whether intended or not. So, I think I am liking the concept the more that I see the big picture. And I don't think we know everything yet. :)

wilkeliza

What exactly is the point of the Great Goofini? I know that it is a stepping stone to get kids on Space and BTMRR, but the mine train coaster will likely have a height requirement as low or lower than Goofini/Barnstormer. Could they have other plans for the area? Maybe the ride is a dead man walking now, taking up space until something better comes along. Ironically, this is a similar position that Goofy's Sky Skool is in at DCA.

I think the rumor that the mine train coaster won't have a height requirement has been debunked. With the way the cars rock and the ride through released by Disney I believe there will be some height requirement. It is suppose to be between Goofini and BTMRR so I believe it will have some sort of requirement. I can't imagine the tilting would be safe for tiny ones seeing as it looks like it can tilt pretty far.

The ride through showed kids that looked to be at least 7 or 8 and I would think that if the ride would have littler kids on it they would show that during the ride through. I could be wrong though.

mp2bill

If that model is accurate then that is pathetic on WDI part. I mean they have to add some theming to it. It looks pathetic in that model. I understand if they are concentrating on the mine train, but circus is suppose to open in under a year. That's what makes me nervous is there isn't much time between that model and the opening.

I doubt it's totally accurate.

NormC

:brick: FLE was planned years before Legoland.

jt04

:brick: FLE was planned years before Legoland.

You might find the answers to your assumptions by reading the entire thread.

Oh, and welcome. :wave: I'm glad to know you registered just to respond to me.

Hee hee. :king:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If Double Dumbo is not something really special, folks will argue that WDW would have been better off keeping Toon Town Fair the way it was. People will wonder if tearing down Mickey's house, Minnie's house, Donald's boat, and stripping all the themeing on the Barnstormer was really worth it in order to "double" dumbo.

Quote for truth. But I'll hold out hope that there's more to all of this than meets the eye...for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom