The Great Goofini

ChristianG

Original Poster
Well, from what we see right now in the models, The Great Goofini isn't looking so great. Here's what I mean:

6058595026_9a70679be7_z.jpg

I know it's just a model and there can be a lot more to the ride that we just don't see, but do any of you know what Disney is planning to do with the ride (Theming, Landscaping, anything)?

BTW, in the model, it looks like there is a pathway under the ride? What is that?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It looks quite minimal, but as you say, the model may not be complete. But let's face it, they are working with a small kiddie coaster. The emphasis is on the Snow White coaster - which I think is the right move.

figmentsfan1982

Well, from what we see right now in the models, The Great Goofini isn't looking so great. Here's what I mean:

I know it's just a model and there can be a lot more to the ride that we just don't see, but do any of you know what Disney is planning to do with the ride (Theming, Landscaping, anything)?

BTW, in the model, it looks like there is a pathway under the ride? What is that?
Possibly the queue?

Monorail_Orange

If memory serves, the pathway you noted is the queue line. For Barnstormer, it wove through and under the coaster in pretty much that pattern.

ChristianG

Original Poster
If memory serves, the pathway you noted is the queue line. For Barnstormer, it wove through and under the coaster in pretty much that pattern.

Oh. It looks dangerously close to the coaster to be an open queue line. I think I remember Barnstormer having a closed in line, but last time I rode Barnstormer was in 2004. So I don't remember.

wilkeliza

I am not sure what people are expecting from the Great Goofini. I never rode the barnstormer (didn't go to WDW until 22 no need to visit toonfair) but it is a kids coaster. There will probably be some theming but what else can be expected with a children's coaster? If they were to be too heavy on the theming like some other parks (SF houston's old kiddie coaster was through the woods to make it feel mid-evil) then it would clutter the new area. This is also only one portion we don't see the que in any of the model pictures.

Scuttle

If that model is accurate then that is pathetic on WDI part. I mean they have to add some theming to it. It looks pathetic in that model. I understand if they are concentrating on the mine train, but circus is suppose to open in under a year. That's what makes me nervous is there isn't much time between that model and the opening.

ChristianG

Original Poster
It also looks like they are using the old Barnstormer trains with the propeller in the front, and some of the "wings" are still above the cars.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It also looks like they are using the old Barnstormer trains with the propeller in the front, and some of the "wings" are still above the cars.

Yeah, it does. Hard to tell that I was looking at the cars from behind at first. Still, it's a mockup, and always subject to change.....

autigger

If that model is accurate then that is pathetic on WDI part. I mean they have to add some theming to it. It looks pathetic in that model.

If Double Dumbo is not something really special, folks will argue that WDW would have been better off keeping Toon Town Fair the way it was. People will wonder if tearing down Mickey's house, Minnie's house, Donald's boat, and stripping all the themeing on the Barnstormer was really worth it in order to "double" dumbo.

Scuttle

If Double Dumbo is not something really special, folks will argue that WDW would have been better off keeping Toon Town Fair the way it was. People will wonder if tearing down Mickey's house, Minnie's house, Donald's boat, and stripping all the themeing on the Barnstormer was really worth it in order to "double" dumbo.

I know! I have thought about this from the beginning. Is all of this really worth it to double the size of dumbo? To base an entire (mini) land around one midway ride is stupid in my opinion and based on the model this looks like another dinoland. Please don't be an accurate model, please!

CariBear

I have ridden Goofy's Barnstormer many, many times as I have 2 young children. The pathway underneath is the que line. According to the picture shown...the track looks almost identical except for the tower at the top of the lift hill...and also it looks like the plane now goes through a sign of some sort instead of the barn. This ride never had any real theming. It is a quick, quick ride for the little ones.

akritas

Is the train going down the lift hill?

David S.

Being a big Toontown fan, I have to agree. I think "Mickey's Toontown Circus" would have been a great way to "refresh" the area, add Dumbo, yet keep the Mouse Houses and Donald's Boat. The theme would just be changing from the Fair being in town to the Circus being in town, but it would still be Toontown. And if there were concerns that Dumbo didn't belong in a land with Fab Five characters - well, they are keeping Goofy around in the new land anyway!

I am not sure what people are expecting from the Great Goofini. I never rode the barnstormer (didn't go to WDW until 22 no need to visit toonfair) but it is a kids coaster. There will probably be some theming but what else can be expected with a children's coaster? If they were to be too heavy on the theming like some other parks (SF houston's old kiddie coaster was through the woods to make it feel mid-evil) then it would clutter the new area.

I have ridden Goofy's Barnstormer many, many times as I have 2 young children. The pathway underneath is the que line. According to the picture shown...the track looks almost identical except for the tower at the top of the lift hill...and also it looks like the plane now goes through a sign of some sort instead of the barn. This ride never had any real theming.

I thought the theming and backstory of Barnstormer was EXTREMELY well done, not just for a "kiddie coaster", but ANY coaster! The barn alone had great theming, props and backstory, including the AA chickens which humorously panicked every time the "Multiflex Octoplane" crashed through the barn. The concept of the "Multiflex Octoplane" crashing through the barn, and the Goofy-shaped outline of the crashed-in area, was ingenious and funny!

Then there was "Fearless Fido's Flight School" inside the barn, where cats and dogs could learn to fly, respresented by cute pictures of some of the dog and cat flight instructors.

You could also see the drafting table where Goofy designed his airplane, which had some clever gags about how the emergency escape parachute had been "cut for budgetary reasons", and showed Goofy stopping the plane by putting his feet through a hole in the floor for brakes!

Then, outside of the barn, along the queue path, there were the giant popcorn stalks, and the Goofy shaped scarecrow which didn't work very well, as a crow was sitting right on top of it! And the squashed squash. And the chicken coop turned into a makeshift radio station for WACKY Radio and its DJ, Red Barns - "the rowdiest rooster on radio"! (and you could hear this broadcast on the radio inside Minnie's House, as the stories found in the Toontown walkthroughs were all interconnected!)

And then there was the pair of pants that Goofy was using as a flag on the roof of the load building to measure the wind direction! And the jelly jar lights...

These are just a few examples of the numerous layers of detailed theming, gags, and backstory found in the Barnstormer barn and queue. And this was just the tip of the iceberg compared to the layers and layers of theming, gags, and backstory found in Mickey and Minnie's Houses. It's too bad that a lot of the Toontown haters (and I don't mean anyone in this thread, just in general) didn't take the time to enjoy these details when we had them, because they just thought of the area as a bunch of tents. And there will STILL be tents in the new area, anyway.

Following in the footsteps of Barnstormer, the "Goofini" will have a lot to live up to in the theming department.

Here's a few clips showcasing some of Barnstormer's theming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN4oGurx00s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pknUGy5z510

And a few more clips illustrating and acknowledging the detailed theming of Toontown, including the Barnstormer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G5inzqY8BY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTcK-FKBb0

wilkeliza

I just think people are disappointed in it before we have even seen it finished. We don't know what the queue is going to look like and I think with the fact they are going towards interactive queues we won't be let down. I'm sure there will be all kinds of "magical" things to see and maybe even partake in. Isn't Goofy suppose to be performing some trick of the century so I'm sure there will be a theme around magic tricks and such. The whole reason for this portion of the fantasyland expansion is to give kids a better wait in the parks. This is why there will be two dumbos with covered queues, interactive queues, a splash pad, and a train stop directly in the land. I just hate when people complain before we even see the finished product.

David S.

I don't know if you are referring to my post, but I agree with you about not complaining about Goofini's theming until we see the finished product. I wasn't saying the theming of "Goofini" will be subpar, but was making the case that the theming of the Barnstormer (and Toontown in general) was a LOT nicer than it's generally given credit for being.

And ironically, Minnie's House was "interactive" long before that became the big WDW buzzword :)

G00fyDad

I think that is just a raw mock-up of the ride. I mean, I don't know about you but I'd hate to have to run and jump onto a coaster that doesn't stop. Do you see a loading and unloading station? I can't. ;) I'm sure the actual ride will be pretty neat and well themed.

David S.

I think that is just a raw mock-up of the ride. I mean, I don't know about you but I'd hate to have to run and jump onto a coaster that doesn't stop. Do you see a loading and unloading station? I can't. ;) I'm sure the actual ride will be pretty neat and well themed.

The station building is partially visible in the lower-right hand corner. Most of it is out of the picture. After coming out of the station, the vehicle takes a right hand turn and begins ascending the lift, as seen in the picture.

Cosmic Commando

What exactly is the point of the Great Goofini? I know that it is a stepping stone to get kids on Space and BTMRR, but the mine train coaster will likely have a height requirement as low or lower than Goofini/Barnstormer. Could they have other plans for the area? Maybe the ride is a dead man walking now, taking up space until something better comes along. Ironically, this is a similar position that Goofy's Sky Skool is in at DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom