Trip Report The Emmy and Matt’s Birthdays and Audrey’s First Trip Trip Report…!!!!!

Who: myself (Steve), my wife of almost 35 years (Carolyn), our 3 grown children (Megan, Matthew -Matt turned 31 during our trip- and Sarah), our son-in-law (Daniel), and our 2 granddaughters (Emory, “Emmy”, turned 5 during the trip, and Audrey turned 2 in June)…!!! :)

When: Oct. 3rd to Oct. 8th, 2023.

Where: AKL, and our first deluxe resort stay. My dear DWifey found some crazy deal online and we stayed for about 65% off regular room rates…all the beautiful women in my life do this, they find deals…!!!!! :inlove::hilarious:

Anyway, this is us…!!!!! :inlove::happy:

2ED0134E-30AB-4D08-BDF3-0E83905F2C4E.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
“Hey, let’s build a buncha’ carppy homemade wooden ramps, set ‘em up on the concrete sidewalk with trash cans in between ‘em, and see how many trash cans we can jump…!!! What could possibly go wrong…?!!!”
Maybe a bit of an oversimplification, but, I think you get my point…!!!!! :hilarious:
This made me laugh. :D That describes my two brothers (back when they were kids) to a T !!! :p When I think of some of the ramshackle, rotting wood and rusted nails, speed ramps they built -- and then put them out on the paved street (and attempted to ride their bikes over them) -- it was an accident waiting to happen. Somehow, they both managed to survive (minor cuts or bruises when they fell), but it was wild watching these crazy guys! 🤦‍♀️ (P.S.: They'd get all their free "supplies" from the town dump -- they thought that place was a treasure trove! :hilarious: )

donaldtoo

Original Poster
This made me laugh. :D That describes my two brothers (back when they were kids) to a T !!! :p When I think of some of the ramshackle, rotting wood and rusted nails, speed ramps they built -- and then put them out on the paved street (and attempted to ride their bikes over them) -- it was an accident waiting to happen. Somehow, they both managed to survive (minor cuts or bruises when they fell), but it was wild watching these crazy guys! 🤦‍♀️ (P.S.: They'd get all their free "supplies" from the town dump -- they thought that place was a treasure trove! :hilarious: )

Yep, those were the days...!!!!!!! :joyfull::happy::hilarious:

3705CC80-6B89-4354-97E9-BA088676F064.gif

Minnie1986

donaldtoo

Original Poster
Saturday, October 7th, and Matt’s 31st birthday, continued…

Time travel makes ya’ hungry (at least for me it does :hungry::D;)), so we then headed to WS for some food…!!! :)

The first two items we had were a chicken curry dish, and samosas, that were almost as good as the ones our firms Indian partners wife makes…!!!!! ;):hungry:

334B1903-62C6-4CA9-987A-05402E9F6A6C.jpeg
45B67B84-AE2C-452D-A0F6-C7DF3B48C55C.jpeg

After that, we had some Kenyan Coffee Barbecued Beef, and some Peri-Peri Skewered Shrimp…!!!!! :hungry:

8FACB16F-CCC9-4ABC-B973-5588A08E818A.jpeg

9E3D84E5-0199-4F15-B0D7-C24A308A0BED.jpeg

That was followed up with apple strudel (almost as good as our family recipe ;)), and I had a Warsteiner Dunkel to finish things off…all were delicious, especially the beer…!!!!! :hungry::D:hilarious:

B04595C2-9DE0-4593-A1EF-18FEB59074EE.jpeg

26F8FCC7-BCF6-41FE-B8E6-A032800E3E50.jpeg

Up next…
A bit of wandering around WS on our last night…

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Original Poster
My daughter lives in the Orlando area and is a vegetarian. She is contemplating heading to Epcot today just for those Samosas. We had them a few weeks ago when I was visiting and she can't stop talking about them.

Yep, I’m no vegetarian/vegan (although Megan is vegan, and has raised Emmy and Audrey thus, so far), but, I just loves me some good potato and pea samosas…!!!!! :hungry::)

donaldtoo

Original Poster
Saturday, October 7th, and Matt’s 31st birthday, continued and wrap…

After the food, we just kinda’ casually wandered around WS for a while. We didn’t stay for the nighttime show, as we had early flights the next morning, but, we very much enjoyed ourselves nonetheless…!!! :)

19925B90-DBB8-41DF-BE55-C0C4BE495412.jpeg
26103F17-79DE-4FEE-A7C1-8615DF1407F3.jpeg
BC1591DE-C8D9-44D5-9A85-2FDD860DBEAE.jpeg
02A251BA-44C9-44C4-8F83-54F9C4DB8EEC.jpeg
5A20B491-E15B-4B82-83C9-0BB50FE74A6E.jpeg
37E25789-C3CC-4C58-B797-11126F62B667.jpeg
FA2E1724-909D-4205-9DB6-CE7C98544703.jpeg

I shoulda’ put this last pic in a spoiler, but, hey, we’re all grownups here, right…?!?!?! :eek:o_O:cry::hilarious:

AFE6ABD9-86CB-44DF-BFE3-03EAC4526625.jpeg

Up next…
A bit of flight(s) home fun…!!! :cyclops:;)

donaldtoo

Original Poster
Sunday, October 8th, and a bit of flight(s) home fun…!!! :)

Megan, Daniel, Emmy, and Audrey had a 6a Delta direct flight back to Austin with their points.
Myself, Carolyn, Matt and Sarah had an 8a American flight, with about a one hour layover at DFW, on our way back to Austin.

This is also the part where I mention how much I LOVE to fly…a coupla’ pics below of us headin’ into DFW, and a coupla’ pics of me in a gyroplane…!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious::happy:

5FBEC4C0-1573-4738-9BDD-876D0B1F49E4.jpeg
F201BAFA-A9AF-4192-A157-A0696DBDB48A.jpeg
2D216D60-67A4-4420-89B3-16FD879C58B8.jpeg
0D12F21B-E69A-4B4B-B0F6-EFC1BD29F931.jpeg

So, we get into DFW a little late in terminal A. Our connecting flight to Austin is in terminal D. As we’re takin’ the Skylink (the trains above the terminals that you access via escalator), Sarah let’s us know our assigned gate is D11.
We hurry to the gate, and I see a spot with four seats facing away from the window…WHEW, we made it with a bit of time to spare…!!! :happy:
Carolyn, Matt and Sarah immediately drop all their stuff with me, and head to get some refreshments. Now, I can finally breathe.
I put my face in my phone for a few moments, then finally look up. The guy directly across from me is stone cold asleep, with his mouth wide open, and ear things (whatever they’re called, these days) in, and he looks almost exactly like Kim Jong Un.
I look back down at my phone again. Then, I look up again. I start to scan, and notice that every single person at the gate is Asian. I stand up, turn around, and there is Asian writing on the plane.
I immediately called Sarah and said “I’m pretty sure D11 isn’t our gate…it’s headed for South Korea…!!!”…!!!!! :hilarious:
About 10 seconds later they all show up and tell me our gate is now D17, so off we gooooooo..!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Anyway, we made it just as they were starting boarding. The flight from DFW to ABIA is basically up to about 26,000 ft. and then back down again in about a total of 30 mins.
We love us some Disney, but, we all also love our true home here in Austin, Texas too…!!!!! :happy:

Up next…
Deep thoughts by Jack Handy… ;) :)
Or, just trip thoughts by me…!!!!! :hilarious:

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Original Poster
OK, trip thoughts by me…!!! ;) :)

But, first off, thanks to all that followed this TR. I very much appreciate y’all taking the time to do so, as I know we’re all busy, and there are more important things in life to attend to.
So, thanks so very much again…!!! :)

The most special part of this trip, of course, was all of us being together, and especially with Emmy and Audrey…!!!!!!! :joyfull::inlove::happy:
These two young ladies are absolutely amazing…they’re sweet, caring, compassionate, very well-behaved, but, still sooo silly-fun…!!!!! :hilarious::inlove::happy:
And, no meltdowns, as they’re not prone to them in the first place…!!! :)

AKL was AMAZING to stay at, to say the least, and we’ll stay there again if we can ever find another crazy-good deal…!!!!! :happy:
And, again, there were no bus issues on our trip…!!! :)

The Character Breakfast at ‘Ohana was, of course, another highlight, and something we will never forget…the food, the fun, the at-Mouse-phere ;), etc.,…all a blast…!!!!!!! :joyfull:

Our time in Disney Springs was also much enjoyed, as there was so much new to see, but, there was still plenty of the old left that we’ve enjoyed through the years…!!! :)

The meetup with our internet pals was a hoot, and we all look forward to another meetup in the not too distant future, hopefully…!!! :)

The fire alarm at 2:30a on the morning of October 5th, where we spent time down in the “holding pen” has become a running family joke…!!!!! :hilarious:

Lastly, although we spent only 2 days in the Parks (MK for Emmy’s 5th birthday, and Epcot for Matt’s 31st birthday), we didn’t pay anything extra beyond basic Park admission, got plenty done, and had an awesome, memorable time both days, from rope drop to almost Park close…!!!!! :happy:

Again, thanks to all that followed, and hopefully it won’t be another 4 years before I can write another TR…!!!!! 🤣

I’ll leave y’all with some random pics…
The first are random PPP pics, and the last 3 are of Audrey recently getting some new winter gear, and Emmy’s first official school pics…!!!!!!! :joyfull::inlove::happy:

26BF6F33-0F24-40E7-A2D8-DE26CD29A6D0.jpeg

70C6521B-0F65-4E67-9C78-ECB12378F9C2.jpeg

19986C2C-2771-4447-A854-6B19F4EE57DA.jpeg

3D3A10A9-0765-4A18-B137-E9918103F892.jpeg

B00CF4C4-0067-43ED-B356-EE3D0F8796EB.jpeg

6A23CD56-B458-4113-BA9F-C909BA7595F1.jpeg

8E9E4F3C-4DD5-45DB-9A20-1827A937DAFC.jpeg

21F79509-C024-4C8F-BF27-AC684229091A.jpeg

01C7BB16-C478-490D-AE51-BE5FE4AD7598.jpeg

A3D0FF0F-EB34-41EB-BEF8-D39C2EA67A09.jpeg

littleroo

They are both just adorable! Love the school picture. Thanks for a great trip report! We love staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and very rarely have we ever had trouble with bussing. I am glad you experienced the same thing, although I have never been in a holding pen before🤣 I, too, hope it is not another 4 years before you get to go again!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Great TR -- very upbeat and fun to read! (The school photo of Emy is beautiful, and the photo of Audrey holding the umbrella is so cute!)

Glad you all have happy memories. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to future vacation adventures!

donaldtoo

Original Poster
They are both just adorable! Love the school picture. Thanks for a great trip report! We love staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and very rarely have we ever had trouble with bussing. I am glad you experienced the same thing, although I have never been in a holding pen before🤣 I, too, hope it is not another 4 years before you get to go again!

Thanks so much for your kind words…!!! :)
Having grandkids is a hoot, especially when they’re as wonderful as Emmy and Audrey…!!!!! :happy:
We spent all those years raising our own 3 kiddos (only 3 years and 2 months between them, throw a special needs son into the middle of the mix, so it was like tryin’ to herd cats, sometimes…!!!!! :hilarious:), and the next thing ya’ know here come the granddaughters…don’t blink…!!!!! 😅

AKL was just a joy, all the way around…!!! :)

We were lookin’ down on the “holding pen” shortly after we got to our room, wonderin’ exactly what for and when they used it…?! 🤔 Well, we found out one use, anyway…!!!!! 🤣

And yes, hopefully not another 4 years…!!! :)

Great TR -- very upbeat and fun to read! (The school photo of Emy is beautiful, and the photo of Audrey holding the umbrella is so cute!)

Glad you all have happy memories. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to future vacation adventures!

Thank you so much, Minnie…!!! :)
There was really no reason to be downbeat ;), as it was all so much fun…!!!!! :happy:
Definitely happy memories, and looking forward to more vacation adventures…!!! :)

Loved the report! Made me smile and laugh and long for another trip to WDW.

Thanks so much…!!! :)
Emmy and Audrey still can’t stop talkin’ about the trip…!!!!! :inlove::happy:
Can’t wait to see the pics from y’all’s next one…!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom