The Dug-Out: SYWTBAI Season 14 Official Discussion Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
Oh I can explain the Australia thing...I blame distorted maps in elementary schools

Maps like this...why is Greenland so big?
maxresdefault.jpg

Antarctica is insanely big in this one...making you think Australia is further down.
Mercator_projection_SW.jpg

Snoopy

Going live in just a couple minutes with @MANEATINGWREATH for our Fantasy Draft, as well as the reveal of our first complete team who will be competing.

So excited for this season, it's really shaping up to be great! And MRW @TheOriginalTiki named his fantasy draft partly after me:

035fbaac4c78a0722657582a266ca7c1.jpg

;)

Speaking of UTS tiki, I just went back there and discovered that Logoman/Logic Bomb of all people has been active within the last month. I haven't heard from him in like six years so I shot him a PM, hopefully he gets it.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
So excited for this season, it's really shaping up to be great! And MRW @TheOriginalTiki named his fantasy draft partly after me:

035fbaac4c78a0722657582a266ca7c1.jpg

;)

Speaking of UTS tiki, I just went back there and discovered that Logoman/Logic Bomb of all people has been active within the last month. I haven't heard from him in like six years so I shot him a PM, hopefully he gets it.

It's really crazy and surreal to think that you and I have this long history with UTS/RCT forums/MouseInfo and what-not that all more or less pre-dates SYWTBAI. Were truly the first generation to "grow up" in the digital age. It's wild to think how much history I have invested in something as simple as the "Tiki" screen name and just how much it's shaped my real life identity.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I would change my avatar to Dwight, but I plan on doing the traditional thing of having my avatar be a teaser of the upcoming project. The first project is something we've hyped up a lot in the podcasts so I feel any image I shared about it would be giving it away. The rest of the teases will definitely lean on the cryptic side of things, haha.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I would change my avatar to Dwight, but I plan on doing the traditional thing of having my avatar be a teaser of the upcoming project. The first project is something we've hyped up a lot in the podcasts so I feel any image I shared about it would be giving it away. The rest of the teases will definitely lean on the cryptic side of things, haha.
That's awesome! I think I'll try to keep up with a similar thing and change my avatar based on what I just submitted each time. For now, The Doctor.
Was_that_really_Peter_Capaldi_playing_the_guitar_in_Doctor_Who_.jpg

MANEATINGWREATH

Re: @MANEATINGWREATH and my visit to Disneyland.

I didn't recognize you in person at the time! When we got back to the hotel, I was like:

giphy.gif

So, my bad.

---TrevorA

Now the truth is known! Haha. What's funny is I actually have ran into several other users at Disneyland, but never realized it until we talked online afterward. In fact, for about two or three years, @monkey92514 and I were playing a game of tag where we'd be in the same place at the same time, but never talk to one another.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I come with urgent news...

The rhino is missing! The rhino of Jungle Cruise fame is missing! He was there when I went in November, and then poof gone. Any ideas on what happened to him?

Skip to 12:30

My guess would be they needed to refurbish him but they didn't want to close the whole ride. I'm sure there's no point in worrying.

MANEATINGWREATH

I come with urgent news...

The rhino is missing! The rhino of Jungle Cruise fame is missing! He was there when I went in November, and then poof gone. Any ideas on what happened to him?

Skip to 12:30

I don't see the point of this alert... Just kidding. :p Occasionally, animatronics will go missing for brief refurbishment or - less frequently - because they are broken and can't currently be replaced. Back when I worked at Disneyland, one of the two bull elephants in Jingle Cruise quite literally lost its head while a boat sailed past. Since the beast weighed in at about a ton, they weren't able to remove it without using a helicopter and cable. So, a bunch of foliage and grass-colored tarps were thrown on top of it. It was eventually removed when Jungle went down for an extensive rehab.

Likewise, "Fluffy," the King Cobra of Indiana Jones, my former abode, had a double sitting backstage. Aside from being the original animatronic model, the double was rarely needed, so it was often used for photo opps. In fact... I had called out sick when Fluffy was on display, but I do have this beauty from when I worked at Rancho del Zocalo:

11700920_10204522909382876_3725274110906529958_n.jpg

tcool123

I don't see the point of this alert... Just kidding. :p Occasionally, animatronics will go missing for brief refurbishment or - less frequently - because they are broken and can't currently be replaced. Back when I worked at Disneyland, one of the two bull elephants in Jingle Cruise quite literally lost its head while a boat sailed past. Since the beast weighed in at about a ton, they weren't able to remove it without using a helicopter and cable. So, a bunch of foliage and grass-colored tarps were thrown on top of it. It was eventually removed when Jungle went down for an extensive rehab.
I've known that animatronics would go missing for some time, but never thought they would get ride of a whole rhino. However that does make sense on why no refubishment. I guess the only odd thing left are the men going up and down the pole.

MANEATINGWREATH

While you all focus on the final Festival of Imagination project - Disney-Universal Studios - and eagerly await the beginning of Season 14 on Saturday, here is something to appease your growling stomachs...

Now, here is the real point of this post.

Folks, we're a mere two days from the beginning of So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14. Now, I don't know about you, but I've never been this excited for a season of SYWTBAI to begin... Like, seriously, never. Okay, I was this excited for Season Eight, but that was so long ago that...well...never mind. I'm stoked!

After much personal discussion and deliberation with @TheOriginalTiki, in addition to months of physical therapy, a week of traveling in the Himalayas, two days exploring the Titanic via submarine, and an entire, largely forgettable year in a senior citizens' home, he has encouraged me - no, demanded me - to post the finalized and decidedly official Team Roster at this exact moment in time. In fact, you might say he told me to:

images

As mentioned in our Cast Assessment, we will be kicking things off right this season with three teams of seven. Who's on what team? Well... Pay close attention. Also, I've given each team an unofficial "animal" mascot in accordance to the origin of their team's name...

tumblr_myan6bELYQ1rpe379o1_500.gif

- @DisneyManOne
- @spacemt354
- @Snoopy
- @TrevorA
- @mickeyfan5534
- @RMichael21
- @JokersWild

This is, for lack of a better description, the "All-Star Team" of Season 14, named in honor of our own @monkey92514. In case you hadn't noticed, five of the seven contestants are all previous players of the Visions Fantastic generation. With the addition of @RMichael21 and @spacemt354, two of the strongest presences in Season 13, Team Mist might just be the ultimate #throwbackthursday to the early years of SYWTBAI, if not a solid tribute to the past, present and future of the game. Give a round of applause for Team Mist!

giphy.gif

- @MonorailRed
- @Angels and Disney's
- @Brer Oswald
- @David2319
- @CraniumCommand89
- @kmbmw777
- @Poe Dameron

Team Cap, named for BlueDragonFive's undying love of Captain America, might just be this season's "Fan Team," a direct reference to Season Seven: Fans vs. Favorites. With such players as @MonorailRed, @kmbmw777 and @David2319, things are bound to...well...get creative! Personally, I can't wait to see what these creative minds will create in a season full of outstanding project prompts. Best of luck to Team Cap!

Last, but certainly not least, we have Team Younger, named in honor of MouseketeerCole, aka David Younger, aka the author of Theme Park Design. Yes, Theme Park Design, the go-to Imagineering book with a foreword by Tony Baxter and afterword by Joe Rohde. You know, no big deal. ;) Truly, this is the "Wild Card Team" of Season 14. In reference to Season Eight: All-Stars vs. Wild Cards, Team Younger has a steady blend of powerhouse contestants and wild cards. For me personally, I am entirely invested in seeing what projects will come from this team. Good luck, Team Younger!

1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif

One last thing...

We've already offered you a sneak peek at several projects to be featured this season...
A mythology-based E-Ticket in World Showcase...an alternate Toontown featuring characters from ALL the studios...a theatrical adaptation of a Disney film...an E-Ticket based on a rotten movie...even the Great Broadway Ride... Today, I'm here to share one final project! One last teaser if you will...

Without giving too much away from this season's roster of fourteen projects, here is your last teaser for one of this season's upcoming projects...

Holidays Can Be a Real Nightmare

You-Never-Knew-How-Pretty-Halloween-Christmas-Could-Look-Together.gif

From Season Eight, "Holidays Can Be a Real Nightmare" explores a concept that has long-since intrigued me - a Haunted Mansion Holiday for Walt Disney World. However, this overlay has a twist. Rather than simply copying and pasting the Nightmare overlay from Tokyo and Anaheim, we're asking for an original spin on the overlay featuring Jack Skellington and his frightful crew from Halloween Town decorating the Liberty Square Mansion. None of the scenes can be replicated - with the exception of the snowy Graveyard and decorative Grand Hall - from the existing overlays. We're seeking an original, ghoulish holiday delight.

Look out for this personal favorite prompt of mine later on in Season 14.

Saturday awaits!

spacemt354

Chili's
That's absolutely fine with us. We've been running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to work BB in. We'll miss you though Poe. Best of luck in all your endevors and hope to see you watching from the sidelines...

In other news, please give a warm welcome to @Basketbuddy101 as the latest official player to this season.
With this will there be any switch-a-roos with the teams before the start seeing as Basketbuddy is a returning VF player?

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
With this will there be any switch-a-roos with the teams before the start seeing as Basketbuddy is a returning VF player?

Most likely, yes. Basketbuddy will be placed on Team Mist. We'll update you tomorrow afternoon at the latest with a revised roster of who's on what team. Generally only one player is going to swap out unless we discover that BB being on Mist really makes things uneven.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom