The DHS Pixar revamp! (According to Jim Hill)

OldKeyWest

Original Poster
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...et-ready-for-wdw-s-monstrous-new-coaster.aspx

Well everyone according to Jim a Monsters Inc roller coaster is on the way for DHS. It is supposedly themed to the door scene and will be a highly themed inverted family coaster. I for one am trilled to hear this since I've been wanting a ride themed to that scene ever since I saw MI the first time. But thats not all, the old HISTA playground is set to be re-themed to a Bug's Life and if the upcoming Carsland in DCA is to be a smash hit it might eventually replace the huge waste of space that is the Backlot Tour. Now keep in mind this is Jim Hill who I know isn't exactly the most liked guy on this board so take this rumor/news with a grain of salt.;) But hey atleast its something for us to talk about in what has been a pretty slow news/rumor mill lately.

Missing20K

While it does sound interesting, and I'm all for new attractions, I wish WDI would focus a little more on creating more diversity in terms of "franchises" represented in the parks. I feel there is already too much overlap and redundancy at WDW with the attractions themes. There is already a Monsters, Inc. attraction, three Nemo attractions, 2 Toy Story's, something like 3 or 4 Lion Kings, etc, etc. With all of the intellectual property at Disney's disposal, I feel they could make better decisions with regard to "franchise"-themed attraction distribution, for lack of a better way to describe my thoughts. :shrug: If anything, WDI dropped the ball in not creating this ride when they decided to create MILF instead. And I'll be downright flabergasted if there is not a Wall*E attraction already greenlit. If they are so confident in the movie and the merchandising, and from early returns, that confidence is well founded, why not continue with an attraction in one of the parks??:shrug: Seems like synergy at it's best. Instead they approve a project from a movie that already has an attraction, and is 8 years old?? :shrug:

On a side note: It seems in the ol' days of Walt, he was creating themed lands in an amusement park to help create publicity and interest in the movies and television programs he was producing. Is it just me, or does the opposite seem true today. That the movies and television intellectual properties now generate publicity and interest in the parks, so much so that they create attractions based solely on those franchises. As a quick example, *EDIT* Adventureland *EDIT* Frontierland generating interest in the Davy Crockett TV series, vs., High School Musical providing inspiration for one sorry excuse for a parade. Just a thought.

terp79

Here here...I completely agree.

Disney World managers really needs to think about how they're distributing all these properties throughout the resort. Brand Manager anyone??? Inclusion??? Integrated & Coordinated Thematics??? Where's WDI's representative. It doesn't seem too thought out. In a perfect world the Magic Kingdom would be home to more classic and traditional fairy tale/classic traditional properties and all the Pixar related properties should of had their own area, DHS.

Disney World has 10x more room than DL so the argument should never come up about placement/space. It all has to do with money, not environmental emotional experiences. I'm sure if the guys and gals at WDI had it their way all the Pixar properties and attractions would of been located in one park all together.

Trust in 20 years they'll look back and say we should of just through down the money for a complete pixar themed area a la Disney Studios Paris and not splattered the properties amongst areas that seemingly kinda fit nor waste money on half *ssed experiences to full void spaces.

It somewhat bugs me that if this rumor comes to fruition that their will be 2 monsters inc experiences in 2 totally different themed lands on property. Then again if you're four years old or a family visiting once every 5 years....who cares as long as its fun!

Here here...I completely agree.

Disney World managers really needs to think about how they're distributing all these properties throughout the resort. Brand Manager anyone??? Inclusion??? Integrated & Coordinated Thematics??? Where's WDI's representative. It doesn't seem too thought out. In a perfect world the Magic Kingdom would be home to more classic and traditional fairy tale/classic traditional properties and all the Pixar related properties should of had their own area, DHS.

Disney World has 10x more room than DL so the argument should never come up about placement/space. It all has to do with money, not environmental emotional experiences. I'm sure if the guys and gals at WDI had it their way all the Pixar properties and attractions would of been located in one park all together.

Trust in 20 years they'll look back and say we should of just through down the money for a complete pixar themed area a la Disney Studios Paris and not splattered the properties amongst areas that seemingly kinda fit nor waste money on half *ssed experiences to full void spaces.

It somewhat bugs me that if this rumor comes to fruition that their will be 2 monsters inc experiences in 2 totally different themed lands on property. Then again if you're four years old or a family visiting once every 5 years....who cares as long as its fun!

Thats a bit unfair. Considering the first Pixar related attractions came to being around 1998. How was Disney to know their bubble would burst and Pixar would become the stronger franchise? Really the only Pixar ride that seems a tad out of place is Monsters Inc Comedy Laugh Club. Though Monstropolis kinda fits in Tomorrowland without too much hassle. Still its an attraction that could of worked in DHS too. Bear in mind when that ride was greenlighted they may of thought of Pixar Place just after.

That said overall Disneys problem is pretty much that while they have been having a few more successes lately. The successful films and TV shows do not really lend themselves to rides too well.

High School Musical can only ever be a stage show, Pirates cant do anything but add to the original ride really now (and apperances of Captain Jack in the parks) and Enchanted wouldnt really work as a ride either. Plus the characters really were not memorable enough to make a mark as park characters

Plus Chicken Little and The Robinsons never did very well. Ever since both films release, Disneys kinda ignored both films which is a shame

But yeah, for Disney to ever deal with the increasing Pixar attractions they really need to start getting off their butts and making more animated films again. Though on that case; DHS has a "Pixar Place" now that I assume will contain the pixarness in that park (outside of Block Party). Though if they wanna extend that to Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground I sure wont stop em. That areas fun but not many kids of today will associate with the "Honey I Shrunk" series at all now.

Also; Huzzah a doors rollercoaster. I've always thought that chase scene at the end of Monsters Inc was a prime ride candidate. Just a shame it's taken so long to realise :lol:

MousDad

Like it or not, it appears Pixar has taken over. I'm not only talking about the parks, I'm talking about power and influence within the company.

Everyone was all giddy when uncle John came aboard to save the company (and the parks). But you can't be surprised when he does that by remaking the parks into his (company's) own image.

It's safe to say that the Pixar brand of Disney now has their hands on the steering wheel. If you don't like Pixar, you might have a hard time liking Disney in the coming decades.

This will be especially true if Princess and the Frog doesn't make any money, which will, I predict, signal the end of WDFA proper. In other words, I wouldn't be at all surprised at that point to see all future Disney animated releases come out under the Pixar brand. Really, it makes sense. Why have 2 animation companies working separate when only 1 makes successful films? Smart business says combine them into 1 entity and let the success spread.

Also, I echo the previous poster who said bring on Wall*E attractions. Way too many possibilities there.

wickedfan07

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...et-ready-for-wdw-s-monstrous-new-coaster.aspx

Well everyone according to Jim a Monsters Inc roller coaster is on the way for DHS. It is supposedly themed to the door scene and will be a highly themed inverted family coaster. I for one am trilled to hear this since I've been wanting a ride themed to that scene ever since I saw MI the first time. But thats not all, the old HISTA playground is set to be re-themed to a Bug's Life and if the upcoming Carsland in DCA is to be a smash hit it might eventually replace the huge waste of space that is the Backlot Tour. Now keep in mind this is Jim Hill who I know isn't exactly the most liked guy on this board so take this rumor/news with a grain of salt.;) But hey atleast its something for us to talk about in what has been a pretty slow news/rumor mill lately.

Fine by me, as long as Cars doesn't replace or take over Test Track. Let 'em take the Backlot Tour.

krankenstein

Nothing really earth shattering here. Jim is just repeating the rumors we have heard for the past couple of month's. The Monster Inc. Coaster appears to be a go now but everything else is pure speculation.

The play area going to a Bug's Life theme only makes sense. That thought should crossed about everyone's mind when they heard this area was being themed to Pixar.

I highly doubt the Cars retheme of LMA for some reason, but the Radiator Spring Racers would be an excellent addition to the area IMO. The ride looks like it will be a superb experience that I am all for having at DHS.

All that said, this is Jim Hill...please pass the salt.

Spike-in-Berlin

Well call me spoiled or overcritical but I still think that DHS don't need a second coaster but instead the long overdue Florida-version of the highly popular Indiana Jones Adventure or something similar innovative and spectacular. And please don't come with the old argument that DAKs "Dinosaur" is the IJA-version built for WDW and they don't need a mere copy of the DL and TDS-attractions. It cannot hold a candle to the original.
Indiana Jones Adventure for DHS NOW!

jt04

Because of the way suspended coasters are constructed I find this JH special more than a bit suspect. Besides being "too obvious" a concept I really find the whole "Disney has to build that door scene from MI" extremely grating. I am not sure why but it just gets under my skin. Maybe some coaster experts out there can analyze this concept and render an opinion. I am fairly certain it won't fit in Soundstage 1. Not even close. Someone is feeding Mr Hill some false rumors is my guess. Probably the same person who told him about the Russian Pavilion going to be built in World Showcase.

All that being said, the strange archway that was just built on Pixar Place (cast iron, turn of the century look) was lifted directly from a scene in Monsters Inc. So I think Jim Hill is half right in that a Monsters Inc mini-land is coming which will include a takeover of Soundstage 1. And the Bug's Life concept taking over HISTK playground seems too obvious for Pixar and WDI not to do.

The only way that Door Scene from Monsters Inc. happens is if it is a 4-D type motion ride that uses a Soarin' type ride system and an IMAX type film. Hey now there is a concept! :D

imamouse

While it does sound interesting, and I'm all for new attractions, I wish WDI would focus a little more on creating more diversity in terms of "franchises" represented in the parks. I feel there is already too much overlap and redundancy at WDW with the attractions themes. There is already a Monsters, Inc. attraction, three Nemo attractions, 2 Toy Story's, something like 3 or 4 Lion Kings, etc, etc. With all of the intellectual property at Disney's disposal, I feel they could make better decisions with regard to "franchise"-themed attraction distribution, for lack of a better way to describe my thoughts. :shrug: If anything, WDI dropped the ball in not creating this ride when they decided to create MILF instead. And I'll be downright flabergasted if there is not a Wall*E attraction already greenlit. If they are so confident in the movie and the merchandising, and from early returns, that confidence is well founded, why not continue with an attraction in one of the parks??:shrug: Seems like synergy at it's best. Instead they approve a project from a movie that already has an attraction, and is 8 years old?? :shrug:

On a side note: It seems in the ol' days of Walt, he was creating themed lands in an amusement park to help create publicity and interest in the movies and television programs he was producing. Is it just me, or does the opposite seem true today. That the movies and television intellectual properties now generate publicity and interest in the parks, so much so that they create attractions based solely on those franchises. As a quick example, Adventureland generating interest in the Davy Crockett TV series, vs., High School Musical providing inspiration for one sorry excuse for a parade. Just a thought.

Wouldn't Frontierland be more closely linked to Davy Crockett than Adventureland?

Missing20K

My issue isn't really with the influence of Pixar, but that they overlook some intellectual properties while creating new attractions based on franchises that already have an attraction (or in some cases 2).

What I still can't figure out is why it will take 8 years to get another Monsters, Inc. attraction, when there have been 5 Pixar movies released since. They had Finding Nemo attractions quite soon after it's release, and DCA's Carsland will open soon. Both The Incredibles and Ratatouille made more money worldwide than Monsters, Inc. and yet neither of these movies have an attraction anywhere in the world. I understand Iger is all about promoting "franchises" now, of which Ratatouille is not one, but I am quite surprised they feel Monsters, Inc. is.

And, just to reiterate, why are they not focusing more on the up and coming franchises, such as Wall*E, or the fact nothing has been mentioned about next May's "Up". And I agree with a previous post that "Meet the Robinsons" was marketed terribly and could have made much more money than it did. Which is a shame as it could have lent itself quite well to an attraction.

A final thought, does anyone foresee a scaling back of Pixar themed attractions in the other parks now that they have an area devoted to those films? I know they won't necessarily remove the Pixar theming that already exists, but that they won't create any new attractions using Pixar property outside of Pixar Place? And if they take over HISTK playset and the backlot tour, Pixar Place will be quite large. Not sure how I feel about this, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

It's all about execution, when it really comes down to it, and I won't mind some overlap between theming if it's all done well. A cool, new ride is still a cool, new ride! :sohappy:

EDIT: I did mean Frontierland, thanks for catching that.

themarchhare

My biggest question after reading the article (with a grain of salt, of course) is if DHS is getting the MI coaster and MK is getting TLM clone ride, what are the other two parks going to get for the 40th anniversary? Mythical attraction or Parade of Lights for AK? Replacement for Body Wars, new pavilion, or a ROE replacement (SAY IT AIN'T SO!)? Any thoughts?

Ausdaddy

My biggest question after reading the article (with a grain of salt, of course) is if DHS is getting the MI coaster and MK is getting TLM clone ride, what are the other two parks going to get for the 40th anniversary? Mythical attraction or Parade of Lights for AK? Replacement for Body Wars, new pavilion, or a ROE replacement (SAY IT AIN'T SO!)? Any thoughts?

Well, we know that JII at Epcot is moving towards a makeover already.

nolatron

I wish WDI would build more unique rides based on what would be fun and entertaining to ride (ie: Expedition Everest), rather than on what will sell the most toys and merchandise at the exit queue.

Lately on some rides it seems like it's a ride in itself trying to find the exit door when you're in some of these merchandise stores.

jt04

My issue isn't really with the influence of Pixar, but that they overlook some intellectual properties while creating new attractions based on franchises that already have an attraction (or in some cases 2).

What I still can't figure out is why it will take 8 years to get another Monsters, Inc. attraction, when there have been 5 Pixar movies released since. They had Finding Nemo attractions quite soon after it's release, and DCA's Carsland will open soon. Both The Incredibles and Ratatouille made more money worldwide than Monsters, Inc. and yet neither of these movies have an attraction anywhere in the world. I understand Iger is all about promoting "franchises" now, of which Ratatouille is not one, but I am quite surprised they feel Monsters, Inc. is.

And, just to reiterate, why are they not focusing more on the up and coming franchises, such as Wall*E, or the fact nothing has been mentioned about next May's "Up". And I agree with a previous post that "Meet the Robinsons" was marketed terribly and could have made much more money than it did. Which is a shame as it could have lent itself quite well to an attraction.

A final thought, does anyone foresee a scaling back of Pixar themed attractions in the other parks now that they have an area devoted to those films? I know they won't necessarily remove the Pixar theming that already exists, but that they won't create any new attractions using Pixar property outside of Pixar Place? And if they take over HISTK playset and the backlot tour, Pixar Place will be quite large. Not sure how I feel about this, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

It's all about execution, when it really comes down to it, and I won't mind some overlap between theming if it's all done well. A cool, new ride is still a cool, new ride! :sohappy:

EDIT: I did mean Frontierland, thanks for catching that.

I hope you are right about the possibility of them putting Pixar stuff at DHS primarily. I think it is wise for them not to go overboard with Pixar across the parks for a lot of reasons. Pixar fits so well with the new DHS and I hope the trend continues of putting Pixar themes there. And if they do build a Monsters Inc mini-land, what could be better than to move the Laugh Floor there and take it out of Tomorrowland (please!). DHS could use two MI attractions in it's new mini-land. The only exception I can see is if Wall-E goes into Tomorrowland and gives Stitch the boot. A "Wall-E Encounter" with elements that pay homage to AE would be wayyyyy cool (in my opinion of course).:)

Exprcoofto

I find these rumors of DHS interesting. I wouldn't mind a Monsters Inc. themed roller coaster. I'm not exactly sure how popular the HISTA Play area really is. Would it be worth transforming it to it's a bugs life? :shrug:
I like the Backlot tour but by the concepts of the Cars land in DCA it sounds awesome. I would love to see it take the Backlot tours place.

Thanks for the news/rumors! :wave:

I think this will be a great addition to the park. No problem whatsoever with it being Pixar or Monsters (not to mention its going into Pixar place...what else would you expect there). And Magic Kingdom getting TLM? That would be a great addition too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom