The Dark Age of Disney Animation: Not That Dark?

What is your favorite film from the Disney dark age?

• The Aristocats

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Robin Hood

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • The Rescuers

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • The Fox and the Hound

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • The Black Cauldron

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • The Great Mouse Detective

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Oliver & Company

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Fox&Hound

Whoops! Not sure how I messed up the order of the words there. I also added the word "Disney" to make it clearer.

I would debate you on Treasure Planet, but that's a topic for another thread.

Yeah I might need to watch it again. I remember loving the beginning with Jim and the song (Foo Fighters?) but the end with the robot got obnoxious....

Figments Friend

I think Cauldron is a gorgeous looking film and has some great characters (mostly bad guys) but if there was ever a movie that needed Walt's story skills it was that one. There's just so much going on and it needed someone to simplify/clarify it somewhat. The 'scary stuff' in it is fantastic. Underrated score too!

Agree .....'Cauldron' really stands alone in it's overall artistic tone.
I also like the scary elements and The Horned King and Gwifants are awesome.
Lots of great effects animation, too, and it was initially released in wide format 60mm which was epic for 1985.
It looked sharp on the big screen.

I'd pay to see it again in a theater.
Convert that baby to 3D....heck yeah!
Some of those shots would be killer.....

-

Phroobar

I think Cauldron is a gorgeous looking film and has some great characters (mostly bad guys) but if there was ever a movie that needed Walt's story skills it was that one. There's just so much going on and it needed someone to simplify/clarify it somewhat. The 'scary stuff' in it is fantastic. Underrated score too!
I agree. I like the Black Cauldron. In it's original non-Katzenberg hack job it was suppose to be a much better story but very dark. If Jeffrey Katzenberg wasn't allowed in the screening room and had a hissy fit, the movie would be considered one of Disney's greatest achievements. Now it's hidden away like Song of the South or some WWII cartoons. It could have used a song or two.

Matt_Black

Yeah I might need to watch it again. I remember loving the beginning with Jim and the song (Foo Fighters?) but the end with the robot got obnoxious....

The two songs in the film were written and performed by John Rzeznik (sp?) of Goo Goo Dolls, though on the soundtrack, the final song "Always Know Where You Are" is performed by BBMak (sp?) instead.

As for my favorite of these films, I'd probably go with The Fox & The Hound, which is weird because I don't really go for the talking animal pictures so much. Gorgeous backgrounds, bittersweet ending, and a kick-*** bear fight sequence.

Regarding the Black Cauldron, I like it, but I can see why many do not. First, nearly 20 minutes of it were cut by Katzenberg over the objections of Roy Disney, because Katzenberg is a CRAZY PERSON (this is the same guy who wanted the ending of The Little Mermaid to be more like Die Hard). So there are some pacing and story issues due to that missing footage.

It's also extremely atypical for Disney, even today when they're doing more PG stuff. It's not a musical and features no songs of any kind.

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
It's also extremely atypical for Disney, even today when they're doing more PG stuff. It's not a musical and features no songs of any kind.
I tend to associate BC with two other Disney adventure movies that didn't do so well at the box office: Atlantis and Treasure Planet (though TP does have songs). All three are underrated in my opinion.

And wow, I really did not expect you to like The Fox and the Hound!

Ghost93

Oliver and Company is the only one I really don't care for, but none of these movies are terrible.

Robin Hood and Aristocats are very charming, even if the animation for both is subpar. The Rescuers, the Fox and the Hound are solid and the Great Mouse Detective is GREAT. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a classic.

The Black Cauldron is a mess storywise, but the animation is stunning and I love the dark tone, ambition and overall mood/vibe of the film. Elmer Berstein's score is great. It's a very flawed movie, but I dig it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom