The Dark Age of Disney Animation: Not That Dark?

What is your favorite film from the Disney dark age?

• The Aristocats

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Robin Hood

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • The Rescuers

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • The Fox and the Hound

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • The Black Cauldron

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • The Great Mouse Detective

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Oliver & Company

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Personally, I think the dark age was a wonderful part of Disney animation history. If I remember anything about my feelings as I was going through the Disney animated canon, it would have to be the unexpected quality I found in the films that came during the so called "dark age."

For those who don't know, the dark age was an era of Disney animation that lasted from 1970 to 1988 (or, The Aristocats to Oliver & Company). The era saw a lot of changes both within the studio and the company as a whole. The last of Disney's "Nine Old Men" retired and the animators that made the Disney Renaissance of the 1990s possible got their starts. John Lasseter also worked for the studio for a short time during this era. The dark age is known for producing some of the most obscure films in Disney animation next to some of the package films of the 1940s.

Many people tend to write off most of the films from this era as forgettable, bad, and really any negative adjective one can think. I look at this era differently, however, and there's not one film from it that I dislike. I think of the dark age as a period of experimentation and risk taking similar to the 2000s post-renaissance period. The first half of the period, however, contains mostly traditional style Disney animation; the experimentation did not really begin until the 80s.

1970's The Aristocats was the last film to be green-lit by Walt Disney himself, and is probably one of the more well known films from the era. Aristocats is memorable as it features the song Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat and the kitten Marie, who has seen a recent surge in popularity. Marie's popularity may explain why the film is more well known than the rest of the era.

In 1973 came Robin Hood, based on the classic English legend. Robin Hood is unique as it was the first Disney movie starring a cast of anthropomorphic animals. It even had one song, "Love," nominated for an Oscar. It is probably the most 'fun' film from the dark age. Robin Hood has recently seen a surge in popularity as it was cited by Byron Howard as one of Zootopia's biggest inspirations.

1977 brought both The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and The Rescuers. Winnie the Pooh is the second most popular Disney franchise behind Mickey & friends and is definitely the most well known film of the dark age. The movie is actually a combination of three previous Pooh shorts with extra animation to connect them together. The Rescuers, based on the books by Margery Sharp, is notable for being Disney's biggest box office success at the time. It's also the first movie in the animated canon to receive a sequel (1990's The Rescuers Down Under). The Rescuers was originally going to feature Cruella de Vil as its villain, but this was changed to Madame Medusa.

1981 brought one of my top 3 favorite Disney movies ever, The Fox and the Hound. It is based on a 1967 novel of the same name written by Daniel P. Mannix, however the story is HEAVILY changed from what could be considered a very mature book. Despite the many changes, the movie is still much more mature than previous Disney movies. The Fox and the Hound is notable for two reasons. The first is that it is one of the movies that is infamous for making people cry with the protagonist, Tod, being orphaned, befriended by a hunting dog, and then subsequently left in the forest when his life is threatened. All of this combined with a rather bittersweet ending. The second reason is that it is the last movie in the canon to feature any of the Nine Old Men animators; Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas, and Wolfgang Reitherman all retired after the film was released. Tod and Vixey are also one of my favorite Disney couples as you may be able to tell from my avatar.

1985's The Black Cauldron is perhaps Disney's most infamous animated feature. It was the first to receive a PG rating and features a VERY frightening villain in The Horned King. Based on the Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander, The Black Cauldron is one of Disney's biggest box office bombs and nearly killed of the animation studio. I'm unsure why it was such a failure, however, as it features a cool fantasy adventure plot and a great musical score.

In 1986, Disney animation was saved by The Great Mouse Detective, based on Basil of Baker Street by Eve Titus. The film did well enough at the box office to give executives confidence that animation was still viable. I would consider this to be a precursor to the Disney renaissance. It features multiple songs, a flamboyant villain, comedic sidekicks for both the protagonist and villain, and a climax that sees the protagonist nearly killed.

Finally, the last film of the dark age is 1988's Oliver & Company, inspired by Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. If The Great Mouse Detective was a renaissance precursor, Oliver & Company is an even bigger one. It helped to usher in the era of celebrity voice acting by featuring Billy Joel, Bette Midler, and Cheech Marin. In my opinion the movie also has one of the catchiest soundtracks in the whole canon; all five songs are hits rather than misses.

Well, this post has gone on for way too long. I hope you'll be inspired to check out some of the dark age films if you haven't already. What do you think about the dark age films?

Flippin'Flounder

I liked the Rescuers, but the Fox and the Hound is probably the worst movie I've ever seen (sorry). It's soooo boring. I think the real issue here is the box office though, not the quality (Although compared to the Renaissance, it's pretty terrible)

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I liked the Rescuers, but the Fox and the Hound is probably the worst movie I've ever seen (sorry). It's soooo boring. I think the real issue here is the box office though, not the quality (Although compared to the Renaissance, it's pretty terrible)
Okay, now I'm curious. Why do you think it's boring?

ForeverAnna

Fox and the Hound was probably my favorite Disney movie as a kid. Likely because I was 7 when it came out and the first I remember being excited about. It doesn't live up for me as an adult though I still have a fondness for it.

216bruce

Fox and the Hound has some fantastic character animation but it is almost gooey sweet at times and not exciting. I love it, but you have to be in a mood for it.
Can't stand Oliver and Co.. It really doesn't even feel like a Disney movie to me.
Underrated gem- The Great Mouse Detective. The more I see it, the more I like it.

Andy_0410

Watched a lot of these movies as a child growing up and loved all of them. However as an adult I do wonder why I did like them? Unlike the renaissance period which I can watch over and over

Fox&Hound

Gotta weigh in here given my avatar :) I think these movies are all pretty solid, with Oliver, being the weakest for me. My favorite, despite my avatar, is definitely Robin Hood! I adore this movie despite it being slow in some places and a bit of a mess with its animation. I obviously have a soft spot for Fox&Hound- it's a beautiful story of friendship despite the stigma placed on us by society but it is def a little slow and it runs into the same problem as movies like Cinderella or Snow White- random sequences and focus on side characters (caterpillar and woodpecker as compared to the mice in sleeping beauty or the washing for dinner scene in Snow White) that seem to distract or just fill time. The Great Mouse detective is another classic! There are very few Disney movies I would ever write off- those being Oliver, Black Cauldron (hot mess of a film only saved by its creepy cool villain) Treasure Planet, and Pixar's The Good Dinosaur....most of these films deserve a second chance.

Cool post! May want to edit the title as its a bit confusing :)

disneyKaiju

Hard vote for me, Pooh definitely stands out the most from my childhood. But I'd like to go back and rewatch all these titles and see if my mind changes!

Magenta Panther

The Rescuers is my fave, hands down. The Bob Newhart/Eva Gabor casting was genius. Great plot with great heart. Medusa was a great villain - not "great" in terms of Maleficent or the Wicked Queen, both of whom had dignity and style, but great for the story.

Second fave would have to be Robin Hood. It was a great idea to re-cast the Robin Hood legend with animals. I just wish the story, and especially its villains, were darker and more formidable - Prince John and Sir Hiss were both wimps. And I also wish that Phil Harris hadn't been cast as yet another bear.

To me, the one redeeming thing about The Great Mouse Detective was Ratigan. What a great character! And with Vincent Price as his voice. Stellar!

As for Oliver...meh! Except for Georgette. The movie should have been about HER rather than bland old Oliver and Tramp-ripoff Dodger.

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Gotta weigh in here given my avatar :) I think these movies are all pretty solid, with Oliver, being the weakest for me. My favorite, despite my avatar, is definitely Robin Hood! I adore this movie despite it being slow in some places and a bit of a mess with its animation. I obviously have a soft spot for Fox&Hound- it's a beautiful story of friendship despite the stigma placed on us by society but it is def a little slow and it runs into the same problem as movies like Cinderella or Snow White- random sequences and focus on side characters (caterpillar and woodpecker as compared to the mice in sleeping beauty or the washing for dinner scene in Snow White) that seem to distract or just fill time. The Great Mouse detective is another classic! There are very few Disney movies I would ever write off- those being Oliver, Black Cauldron (hot mess of a film only saved by its creepy cool villain) Treasure Planet, and Pixar's The Good Dinosaur....most of these films deserve a second chance.

Cool post! May want to edit the title as its a bit confusing :)
Whoops! Not sure how I messed up the order of the words there. I also added the word "Disney" to make it clearer.

I would debate you on Treasure Planet, but that's a topic for another thread.

21stamps

I loved the first 5 listed.
Tie between The Rescuers and Fox and the Hound though.

The bottom half of the list I could care less about.

My all time fave Disney film during that time frame - Pete's Dragon. Ok so the animation is horrible when watching it again as an adult, but still love it.

Kate F

I went with the Aristocats since it was one of my favorite Disney movies as a kid and I love the song "Ev'rybody Wants to be a Cat." Of course, it's been a very long time since I've seen it (or any of the films on this list for that matter), so maybe my opinion has changed, but I remember really liking all the characters and songs in that film.

elliot

While maybe not the best era in the scheme of things, I will always be partial on some level since I was introduced to Disney at this time. These films made me catch the bug and the whole Little Mermaid on thing just cinched it.

Pete's Dragon is my favorite Disney movie and the wife's is the Rescuers, to this day. Beyond the movies though, in a time of Mickey Mouse Club (reruns anyway. Who knew at the time), Herbie and Witch Mountain on TV, Disney records, and Fisher Price Movie Viewers, I'm not convinced it was a "dark age" at all.

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Beyond the movies though, in a time of Mickey Mouse Club (reruns anyway. Who knew at the time), Herbie and Witch Mountain on TV, Disney records, and Fisher Price Movie Viewers, I'm not convinced it was a "dark age" at all.
The dark age really was just in feature animation. Pretty much every other area of the company was doing well.

Figments Friend

'The Black Cauldron' I enjoyed, and still enjoy.
The reason it 'flopped' so hard upon initial release was because it caught a lot of parents by surprise, despite the PG rating.

I saw it with a audience at a local cinema back in the Summer of 85' when it was first released, and a few folks actually walked out in a huff with their kids about half way through.
The scenes featuring The Horned King, and the Deathless Warriors really freaked out some parents and perhaps some younger kids.
I liked it because it was so different in tone compared to the more juvenile stories over the past few years.

In 1985, Disney animated features were still known primarily as 'babysitter movies' and 'cutesy kiddie flicks'.
It was a time when animation in general was still in that slump of only being thought of as entertainment for children.
That return of adults respect for the art would not return until a year later with the success of Don Bluth's 'An American Tail' and Disney's summer of 1988 hit 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'.

So 'Cauldorn' comes out, and people assumed it was the same 'family friendly' materials.
Little Timmy and Toddler Tabitha will love it....yay, lets go see it!
( scene of The Horned King's flesh ripping off of his bones as he is being sucked into the cauldron comes on the screen )

Yeah......

That's why it 'flopped'.

I like the picture.
It's a regular I watch usually around Halloween.
Some cool effects animation, and the overall darker tone I like for a change.
The film could really use a restoration though...picture quality wise.
I'd love to see a extended cut with the footage that was removed prior to release!

My vote however for this threads poll went to 'Robin Hood'.
Also really like the original 'Pete's Dragon', which I include as a animation feature during the 'dark ages'.

-

Last edited:

21stamps

While maybe not the best era in the scheme of things, I will always be partial on some level since I was introduced to Disney at this time. These films made me catch the bug and the whole Little Mermaid on thing just cinched it.

Pete's Dragon is my favorite Disney movie and the wife's is the Rescuers, to this day. Beyond the movies though, in a time of Mickey Mouse Club (reruns anyway. Who knew at the time), Herbie and Witch Mountain on TV, Disney records, and Fisher Price Movie Viewers, I'm not convinced it was a "dark age" at all.
I don't know if this is too far off topic. But - how do you feel about the new one?

When I first looked up the trailer on YouTube I thought I had Mistakingly clicked on Jungle Book.lol. I personally think it looks good, but don't know why they had to remake my favorite Disney movie! -- I'm not THAT old ;).
Seriously though, I just do not understand, and I'll still be partial to the original, and the music.

Californian Elitist

I love all of these films, including Oliver and Company. The Fox and the Hound is great and makes me cry each time.

My favorites from that list are, without a doubt, The Rescuers and Robin Hood. Robin Hood is one of Disney's funniest films and The Rescuers pulls at the heartstrings.

I also love The Black Cauldron, not sure why so many people dislike that film.

216bruce

'The Black Cauldron' I enjoyed, and still enjoy.
The reason it 'flopped' so hard upon initial release was because it caught a lot of parents by surprise, despite the PG rating.

I saw it with a audience at a local cinema back in the Summer of 85' when it was first released, and a few folks actually walked out in a huff with their kids about half way through.
The scenes featuring The Horned King, and the Deathless Warriors really freaked out some parents and perhaps some younger kids.
I liked it because it was so different in tone compared to the more juvenile stories over the past few years.

In 1985, Disney animated features were still known primarily as 'babysitter movies' and 'cutesy kiddie flicks'.
It was a time when animation in general was still in that slump of only being thought of as entertainment for children.
That return of adults respect for the art would not return until a year later with the success of Don Bluth's 'An American Tail' and Disney's summer of 1988 hit 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'.

So 'Cauldorn' comes out, and people assumed it was the same 'family friendly' materials.
Little Timmy and Toddler Tabitha will love it....yay, lets go see it!
( scene of The Horned King's flesh ripping off of his bones as he is being sucked into the cauldron comes on the screen )

Yeah......

That's why it 'flopped'.

I like the picture.
It's a regular I watch usually around Halloween.
Some cool effects animation, and the overall darker tone I like for a change.
The film could really use a restoration though...picture quality wise.
I'd love to see a extended cut with the footage that was removed prior to release!

My vote however for this threads poll went to 'Robin Hood'.
Also really like the original 'Pete's Dragon', which I include as a animation feature during the 'dark ages'.

-
I think Cauldron is a gorgeous looking film and has some great characters (mostly bad guys) but if there was ever a movie that needed Walt's story skills it was that one. There's just so much going on and it needed someone to simplify/clarify it somewhat. The 'scary stuff' in it is fantastic. Underrated score too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom