The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Funny, when the kiddos were young we used to go to our local Luby's cafeteria pretty often.
Awesome deliciousness...!!! :hungry:
Unfortunately, it's been closed for years now. :(

Same with Morrisons in Florida, they were sprinkled all over the place.

Piccadilly bought them out and little by little it went downhill from there. Pretty much all were closed until Piccadilly filed for bankruptcy. Miss those places, good memories.

9df05b4d76648218f1fd458db9f7418d.jpg

54cc76257fa1772c54b90646c17cb1de.jpg

067ddd23050d07781f75ebe560ee26ac.jpg

all those teeny tiny bowls
17309757_635751233275332_1934328919794278265_n.jpg

14222274_883194978452501_5484551685903289933_n.jpg

14502830_1112567318778928_5035397369147384947_n.jpg

Gabe1

I think between your recollections and that of @Gabe1 's, part of what I miss about the older cafeteria models was just the interaction between the customers and the food staff behind the counters. @Cesar R M , with a buffet style restaurant, the customer pays a fixed price and self-serves from a buffet section. There's nothing technically "wrong" with that in itself, and buffet restaurants are sometimes the way to go, under certain circumstances.

For me, maybe it's just a small thing; but the loss of so many of these cafeteria style restaurants is just another example of the impersonal trend in our society. This evolving trend filters into other businesses such in some supermarkets and in places like Lowes & CVS. There are self-service checkouts in both. I refuse to go to those, and have actually waited in line for a "live" person at the regular checkout line.

Self serve kiosks to check out in Box stores or grocery really don't go over well. In food type stores even worse. They tend to yell at you, unknow item it area, or freezes and states push button for help, or you need a person to eventually get to you to purchase wine or spray paint. Takes longer in some cases than standing in the queue.

But I tend to visit the 'person' out of defiance. I like to see humans and humans being employed is good for everyone, well except for the shareholders. I actually had a man try and talk me into leaving the bank and go to the ATM outside vs waiting my turn for the teller.

Gabe1

I don't have all the answers, I have a lot of questions and they are based on what I see and almost 70 years of experience, not what some group of people that may or may not have a vested interest in pushing an agenda have to say. You know the old saying... "trust nothing that you hear or read and only half of what you see". :)

I don't know, I'm not all that much younger than you are, decades and decades of driving urban and rural. Our bridges and curve streets are always pretreated minimum when storms are due to hit. When they don't (usually involves overtime) the amount of crashes dramatically go up. This storm was nasty and early morning there wasn't enough time to get the salt trucks out in time (they didn't pretreat Lake Shore Drive and also on the Expressway near my Mom's.
When rush hour hits at the same time as snow starts and the roads didn't get pretreated you get these 30 and 45 car pile ups. The tollways that were pretreated you didn't get those pile ups.

Me I purposely followed two salt trucks on 57 home from my DD Graduation during the beginnings of a bad storm. I'd rather drive on a road that has some salt on it vs none. In our more rural area they pretreat with liquid stripes where there are curves and bridges. You can appreciate the areas that were pretreated vs not when you're the one driving in it.

But we all believe or not what we choose.

Cesar R M

Gabe1

You once hated Mexican food and sauerkraut...!!!!! :eek: :jawdrop: ;)

Indeed. Most of my life. I'd say less than a decade since I will eat and enjoy sauerkraut and eat SOME Mexican offerings. Some. Must remember I ate a good chunk of my meals in Mexico at Shakey's Pizza.

I still lean much more lean to Creole & Cajun over Mexican or Tex Mex dishes when thinking of Southern cooking. Sauerkraut, from young I just viewed that as a nasty waste of tummy space for better German, Austrian and Hungarian dishes. Still won't eat Sauerkraut as a side dish, it needs to be on corned beef or a nice Polish Sausage Sandwich. :hungry:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Some years this would be the weekend to start getting ready to plant peas and cabbage family members. This year isn't one of them:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Tonight's dinner groundhog Marsala, one for the groundhog and 2 for me:angelic::angelic::angelic:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I don't have all the answers, I have a lot of questions and they are based on what I see and almost 70 years of experience, not what some group of people that may or may not have a vested interest in pushing an agenda have to say. You know the old saying... "trust nothing that you hear or read and only half of what you see". :)

I may not agree with some of your opinions; nevertheless, I always appreciate your candor. ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Hubs and I went to the local watering hole for dinner and had corned beef. And instead of green beer I had a Guinness! Happy St. Patty's Day!!!☘️

View attachment 194404

My St. Patrick's Day wasn't as festive as yours. I brought in an Irish soda bread for the office hungry hounds. People liked it with their coffee for a snack. But we were all working, so it was just a quick break.

Hubs and I went to our usual Friday night restaurant, but neither one of us had the traditional corned beef and cabbage. I grew up on all that Irish boiled cooking and I hated it. So I had a cheeseburger and a glass of milk, instead. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom