The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

O.k. Not that I know anything about car batteries, but up here in the cold winter Northeast, the cold can wreak havoc on an older battery. AAA gets tons of calls for dead batteries in winter. So we tend to replace them probably quicker than down in the warmer Southern states, as a preventative measure. The last thing you want is to be stuck somewhere in zero degree weather, with the wind howling outside; and the car won't start (providing it's not the alternator, which is far less common). Through the years, I've had both things happen to me. :jawdrop:

Yep, no doubt the cold has a major affect on automotive batteries.
Your standard battery (although, you can purchase ones that are specially made with insulation, etc., for cold weather, plus, you can also purchase an engine heater) has to turn over an engine with, basically, molasses in the crankcase. Beyond that, the chemical reaction that produces the current is impeded by the cold. Double whammy.
But, I'd hate to think that the best way to protect against that is to purchase a new battery every single fall... :confused:
Also, although more cars won't start on cold winter mornings, more batteries actually fail completely during the summer. Heat cooks off the electrolytes, and, basically, boils 'em dead.
A battery that seemed to be an issue during cold weather, is usually fine as soon as things warm up a bit.
All that being said, I would probably rather change a battery in 105 degree heat, than -5 degree cold. ;)

Also, one other thing I can attest to about heat and current flow, automotively...
I had a buddy that rebuilt an engine, years back. Once he got it all runnin' again, he would drive it for a while and then reach a destination at some point for a quick stop. He'd come back out shortly to try and start it, and the starter would drag. It would eventually start, but, it was a pain. Come to find out, he never reinstalled the heat shield on the exhaust manifold to protect the starter from the heat. All that excessive heat was drawin' down the starters ability to crank the motor and puttin' more strain on the battery.

Sorry for Auto Shop, but, as I've posted before, all my life, I've loved to know how things work. :)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Oh my gosh, this is hysterical. I just went online to calculate how much Duty we would have had to potentially pay, and son of a gun, they raised the exemption AGAIN.

We weren't (combined) $200 OVER, we were $600 UNDER!!
Hubby says it's probably just as well that I didn't know.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

The only successful diets for me have been exactly the way you proceeded. I hate "diet" food, diet rules, etc. And I never wanted to pay anyone (or a group like weight watchers) to help me drop weight. It all comes down to yourself, and as long as you're still eating what you like, but in "lunch plate" size servings for your major meals, you'll do fine. It may take a bit longer this way, but it's far less painless when you're eating the foods you've already enjoyed.

Yep, and I've posted this before...
Both times I've lost a bunch of weight in my life, I did it the old fashioned way: consume less, move more...!!!!! :joyfull:Amazing how well that works. ;) :)

donaldtoo

So, this has nothing to do with dieting, but one of my colleagues gave me a Lindt chocolate teddy bear this morning. I ate off his head. It was hollow; he had no brains.

Figured I'd maul the rest of his lifeless carcass tomorrow at work. :happy: :hungry:

I may, or may not, have gotten to the brains before you... :oops: :cautious:

benefit-of-dark-chocolate-on-brain.jpg

:D ;) :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Congratulations. That is a great accomplishment. When I moved to NC, almost four years ago, I decided that I needed to lose a lot of weight (believe me I was way over a healthy limit) In the four years since I move here I have lost over 65 lbs. and still have another 50 to go. The only way I could do it was to merely cut back on my intake without depriving myself of the stuff that I loved, just the quantity. I cut back on carbs, but didn't eliminate them. (I love carbs. There what give you life and energy, but, too much is a bad thing. The real bummer is that I never said anything to my family about my attempt and no one, and I mean, no one even noticed that I had lost the weight. There is nothing sadder then to lose that much and not have it be noticeable. :(
Well congratulations. That is a major accomplishment and perseverance. And a sad end to the tale.
:grumpy:

Fire Districts are connected with Fire Stations, but, in most cases only in that they are responsible for making sure that water is available to use when needed. They are separate little entities that have the power to tax in the sense that they can increase what is charged for the water that everyone gets and the waste disposal for that assigned area and do not require public budget approval. Fire Departments are funded through city, town or village governments (unless it's volunteer) and do show up with increased in taxes to equip and fund their mission all within the voted on city budget. It's important to know that the charge for water is also considered a tax, but, it is to cover the costs of supplying water to all residents.

Wow! Your fire districts work very different than my little Hamlet does and around here they have ties to other areas of government and some have zero ties. Our town is a fire district completely independent of town services including water. The water department belongs to the town and the town is the dictator of the water and water rates along with sewers etc. Our fire department only deals with fires, accidents with injuries and EMT services along with fire codes with inspection duties. They have a completely separate levy for those services. Our Sheriff however is part of our town and falls under the jurisdiction of our councilman as does the library. Our fire department leaders and our town leaders are always at odds with each other. Fortunately the actual police and fire fighters who have to have each others backs seem to filter through all that.

Gabe1

The only successful diets for me have been exactly the way you proceeded. I hate "diet" food, diet rules, etc. And I never wanted to pay anyone (or a group like weight watchers) to help me drop weight. It all comes down to yourself, and as long as you're still eating what you like, but in "lunch plate" size servings for your major meals, you'll do fine. It may take a bit longer this way, but it's far less painless when you're eating the foods you've already enjoyed.

And like Goof a much greater chance of long term success.

Gabe1

Well, then that should make up for you folks up there probably missin' a few more work days due to inclement weather, than us folks down here. ;)
Plus, it's a heckuva' lot harder to be productive when you're lookin' out your office window at 80 degree sunshine, as opposed to -8 degree tundra...! :D :)

We are hardy. I can only remember my DH missing one day of work because of snow. When my DD was a Freshman in College we had that mega snow, so high that we couldn't get out the doors, Walt could wiggle out and through a valley of a drift and under the picnic table to do what dogs do out there. Last year though he got trapped at work.

Gabe1

I never understood why lifeguards wore shirts. Like at Disney...beaches and everywhere. Then I realized it was for protection.

Disney it is for professionalism and sun protection. The lifeguards at Disney and where my DD manages they must sign a sunscreen log before they go on duty and then every 4 hours for reapplication. They must wear visors and sunglasses and shoes or sandals with backs on them. The whistle lanyards must be break away. This all is controlled by the lifeguard system they contract, are trained and audited by. It is the same company my DDs facility uses.

Not all lifeguard at all facilities wear shirt and shorts. It is mandatory where my DD works. This month there was another incident where detectives had to be called to investigate a creepity man stalking a female teen lifeguard. Stupid people don't realize the state of the art new facility has all sort of recording security cameras. Long ago before my DD time they stopped walking around in swim suits only. It has worked out better for they guys, suit bottoms and a Tee. Girls have a full suit, shorts and a Tee. Lots warmer.

Gabe1

I had a buddy that rebuilt an engine, years back. Once he got it all runnin' again, he would drive it for a while and then reach a destination at some point for a quick stop. He'd come back out shortly to try and start it, and the starter would drag. It would eventually start, but, it was a pain. Come to find out, he never reinstalled the heat shield on the exhaust manifold to protect the starter from the heat. All that excessive heat was drawin' down the starters ability to crank the motor and puttin' more strain on the battery.

Sorry for Auto Shop, but, as I've posted before, all my life, I've loved to know how things work. :)
\
I find Minnies experience more of what I've experienced up here in the winter. It generally doesn't get as hot up here as it does down there.

Now that thing about the car not starting....we have been having that issue with my Dads car and nobody can figure it out. Pondering now.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep, no doubt the cold has a major affect on automotive batteries.
Your standard battery (although, you can purchase ones that are specially made with insulation, etc., for cold weather, plus, you can also purchase an engine heater) has to turn over an engine with, basically, molasses in the crankcase. Beyond that, the chemical reaction that produces the current is impeded by the cold. Double whammy.
But, I'd hate to think that the best way to protect against that is to purchase a new battery every single fall... :confused:
Also, although more cars won't start on cold winter mornings, more batteries actually fail completely during the summer. Heat cooks off the electrolytes, and, basically, boils 'em dead.
A battery that seemed to be an issue during cold weather, is usually fine as soon as things warm up a bit.
All that being said, I would probably rather change a battery in 105 degree heat, than -5 degree cold. ;)

Also, one other thing I can attest to about heat and current flow, automotively...

Thank you for all that information; interesting to learn things. :) Oh, we certainly don't replace a battery every year, though! :p It's more like every 4-5, just depending on various things. That's why I mostly stick with public transportation when I can. I far prefer others to take care of vehicles. Car mechanics are not my strong point! ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We are hardy. I can only remember my DH missing one day of work because of snow. When my DD was a Freshman in College we had that mega snow, so high that we couldn't get out the doors, Walt could wiggle out and through a valley of a drift and under the picnic table to do what dogs do out there. Last year though he got trapped at work.

My dog, Jack, is moody about snow. He likes fresh new snow to frolic in, but if it's the heavy, water-saturated kind in a blizzard, he digs in his heels at the door and refuses to step outside. Such a wuss. As for moi, I'll go out in anything. :D (The only thing I won't do is drive in it; I'll only walk in it, or shovel it.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep, and I've posted this before...
Both times I've lost a bunch of weight in my life, I did it the old fashioned way: consume less, move more...!!!!! :joyfull:Amazing how well that works. ;) :)

Another thing that worked for me when dieting, was to throw in the occasional big treat. The last time I dropped weight (took maybe 4 months to reach my goal) I had a hot fudge sundae maybe 3 times. It got the craving out of my system and actually helped me to stay on track. Sounds odd, I know, but that, and having a few small cookies or pieces of candy here and there, helped me to maintain my sanity. (Then again, that might be a stretch--assuming I was ever sane?! :eek: :hilarious: )

Last edited:

DVCPluto

FYI, Splash probably would have been fine. We went in early January last year, beginning the weekend after New Years, and even though it was in the 70s that day, all the water cannons were off and they lowered the water level. We didn't get wet at all:).

Sometimes I've used the contact form when down there to complain. Usually, they call me within a day or two.

Last January with the FP+ was great, at least for us. The only park that was 100% FP+ was AK, and we barely needed the FPs there, and the rest were still traditional paper FPs and then FP+ for resort guests. The thing is the friend that I took and I both had the cards as well as the MBs (I have an AP, she bought her pass separately from the room reservation), so we double dipped and when we used our paper FPs, we just slid our MBs in our pockets or under our jackets so that they weren't obvious to CMs (though I don't think double dipping was technically against the rules...). It was great. We did so much.:joyfull:

I'm so glad you had a good experience like we did last January! We were there at the very end of the month, so double dipping was just about done. I found that the crowd levels were so low that it didn't really matter anyway. The big difference was the app was actually better then! That's what is really annoying.

DS really wanted to go on Splash, so we went on the last day (Friday). Well, we of course got the front row and got SOAKED. I mean, DH and I looked like we got out of a shower. DS (the little booger) ducked down and didn't get that wet at all. What you don't do for kids right? :confused: It was actually really fun and made us laugh harder than we had all trip. It was a great way to say good bye to MK! Well, that, and an ice cream sandwich "lunch" on main street. :) :hungry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom