The Blue Paint on the Tomorrowland Rock is Starting to Come Off Already

ppete1975

originalwdwtmo.jpg
vintageentrance.jpg
Some nice big spires with water features built in would look really nice there.

They would never build anything like that........

Attachments

• water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 37
  • water2.jpg
    water2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

thomas998

Improper surface preparation is usually the reason for early paint adhesion failure.
Yep. Considering they are basically painting on top of a concrete surface they likely failed to acid wash the concrete first. I painted lots of concrete buildings when I was working my way through school and one of the first things I learned is you needed to treat concrete before you painted it or the paint would react with the concrete and come off very quickly. You could use a special stuff to do it or as we often did just use cleaning vinegar in a pesticide sprayer. The place would smell like a pickle factory for a about a day but it would insure the paint didn't peel off in a few months.

If they didn't treat it at all the rock is going to look like it has leprosy in another 6 months.... if they did treat it then they probably just didn't a good job and you'll only have this happening where the didn't spray it first. No easy way to fix it now unless they sandblast the paint off and start all over.

Goofyernmost

Yep. Considering they are basically painting on top of a concrete surface they likely failed to acid wash the concrete first. I painted lots of concrete buildings when I was working my way through school and one of the first things I learned is you needed to treat concrete before you painted it or the paint would react with the concrete and come off very quickly. You could use a special stuff to do it or as we often did just use cleaning vinegar in a pesticide sprayer. The place would smell like a pickle factory for a about a day but it would insure the paint didn't peel off in a few months.

If they didn't treat it at all the rock is going to look like it has leprosy in another 6 months.... if they did treat it then they probably just didn't a good job and you'll only have this happening where the didn't spray it first. No easy way to fix it now unless they sandblast the paint off and start all over.
One would think that they have painted enough concrete over the years that they would know that. That doesn't mean that some painter didn't take a short cut and figure that since they were already painted and had been for years, that wouldn't be a problem.

Jedi Stitch

What was wrong with the classic '60 era Galaxy Orange. If it was good enough for the Space Needle at the '62 worlds fair then it should good enough for the rocks in "1985" Tomorrow land.

thomas998

One would think that they have painted enough concrete over the years that they would know that. That doesn't mean that some painter didn't take a short cut and figure that since they were already painted and had been for years, that wouldn't be a problem.
That would be my guess... Considering it is only happening in a few spots I'm betting whoever treated the concrete wasn't making sure that every spot was hit. I've seen walls where they didn't do any treatment at all and it was less than 6 months and you had big patches of paint popping off way more than what I'm seeing in the photos. So while the peeling isn't going to stop, I doubt they are going to have big patches peeling, probably just small random ones... Not that it will not still look like a poorly maintained area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom