That moment that nearly ruined the magic

powderehss

On the second/last day of our trip last year we noticed that there was a... really big crowd of people at MK.
Turns out that the week we were in Florida was also Florida's school vacation week... We usually go in April but we went in mid-March because of a military service for one of my relatives and the Disney trip was a little bonus treat

I had to wait TWO HOURS in line for Big Thunder Mountain because my dad kept telling me and my mum "Don't worry this line'll go quickly"

:\

Delgado

Well, I mean, from her perspective you did apparently try to steal food. Ignorance has never been an excuse for committing a crime. At least, that is how the saying goes.

That being said, there needs to be training of some kind with fancy tech that is supposed to pay for your stuff. Assuming there is not. There might be somewhere in your magic band documentation.
Actually ignorance means you didn't have intent sooo it could be a defense. I don't think that family did anything wrong.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
So you went to WDW, not knowing how the dining plan worked. Ok, that happens.

You had alcoholic beverages with your meal. Those aren't covered under the dining plan. You have to pay another way.

So you left the restaurant and got tracked down. So yes, you in fact, did dine-n-dash in a sense.

The CM didn't handle it the best way they could, but you also didn't know how the plan worked/what it covered.

You're both at fault here, and as others have said, getting a manager probably would've made life easier. You left your server a $2 tip. That's lousy. A lousy tip for a lousy guest that didn't know alcohol wasn't included on the dining plan. I think you should find a way to send the rest of the tip to the server.

It's not always the fault of the mouse. People need to be informed of the products they buy. Then again, this is 'Murica, anything goes anymore.
Please don't forget, I gave her the 2 buck tip because the way she handled it. If she explained to me that getting scanned the first time did not cover everything, still had to scan for the additional charges and not had us wait for another half a hour + just to get us taken care. If she promptly had taken care of , I would have added to her tip, for the inconvenience we caused, but when she went out of her way to treat us like criminals and inconvenience us, then no tip. I have been a chauffeur and had the evening go perfect on the trip, and make a mistake in the end that blows the tip.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
When we first started using the "touch to pay device" in our restaurant we were trained to scan the band when we greeted the table with the script of something like "I see we are on a dining plan, if I could capture some information from your magic band I can help guide you through the menu". When we scan the band we can see the resort and how many credits and such the guest had. This information turns into a barcode that we scan into the POS as tender for the check. We would then say something at the end of the meal like " I'm going to go take care of your dining plan and bring you the check for you to confirm".
I remember her using the first part of the speil, but have been to busy to give us the next. part.

21stamps

When we first started using the "touch to pay device" in our restaurant we were trained to scan the band when we greeted the table with the script of something like "I see we are on a dining plan, if I could capture some information from your magic band I can help guide you through the menu". When we scan the band we can see the resort and how many credits and such the guest had. This information turns into a barcode that we scan into the POS as tender for the check. We would then say something at the end of the meal like " I'm going to go take care of your dining plan and bring you the check for you to confirm".

I honestly can't remember anyone saying that to me.

I remember her using the first part of the speil, but have been to busy to give us the next. part.

You may already know this now, but for future reference, always get a receipt...at least look at it. Disney or elsewhere. Sometimes there can be mistakes on the bill.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
Another reason I hate the dining plan - it is more headaches not less. Nothing is all paid for ahead of time, it's like 75% paid ahead. Always have to pay for the tip and and extra drinks. Such a pain for little to no savings.
Once we had it figured out the DDP was awesome. We would go have a character breakfast each day, which got us out of ASMo, had a nice sit down dinner. after being on your feet all day, great respite. We sometimes hit quick service, but other times we would just happen upon another sit down place that wasn't too busy at the time. Hitting character meals each day, really paid for the DDP plan.

Otterhead

In many trips I've had some very weird moments.

I remember one time walking into Disney-MGM on the very first day of a week-long trip, and just as I'd walked past the gate, a random teenager walked up to me and just spat right in my face, then kept on walking out the gate. I started towards him but a security guard stepped in front of me and said "he's leaving. Let him go. I'm sorry that happened, do you need anything?" and walked me to the bathroom to clean up. The CMs were super nice but it was a moment that came very close to ruining the entire trip, right at the start.

Quite honestly, I've had more "almost ruining the magic" moments caused by terrible teenagers than anything else, by far.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
I honestly can't remember anyone saying that to me.

You may already know this now, but for future reference, always get a receipt...at least look at it. Disney or elsewhere. Sometimes there can be mistakes on the bill.
Yep, I do now. I would still get the DDP for the next time. I had to go through last years receipts recently, and had a great nostalgic moment looking at the bill and receipts.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
In many trips I've had some very weird moments.

I remember one time walking into Disney-MGM on the very first day of a week-long trip, and just as I'd walked past the gate, a random teenager walked up to me and just spat right in my face, then kept on walking out the gate. I started towards him but a security guard stepped in front of me and said "he's leaving. Let him go. I'm sorry that happened, do you need anything?" and walked me to the bathroom to clean up. The CMs were super nice but it was a moment that came very close to ruining the entire trip, right at the start.

Quite honestly, I've had more "almost ruining the magic" moments caused by terrible teenagers than anything else, by far.
Well getting spit on probably trumps me, and even would be worse. I would hope that having security see it and stop you from pounding the jerk, is because they were stopping him and giving that jerk a trespass notice for assault.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
It rained very hard the entire week on my recent visit, but after doing Soarin' Around the World and Frozen Ever After the first day, I felt so much better! I had to buy ponchos and socks. Also, at Universal that same trip, my mom's credit card was stolen at the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium.
Glad to hear you guys were able to still have fun. The only good thing on rainy days is it usually thins out the crowds.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
On the second/last day of our trip last year we noticed that there was a... really big crowd of people at MK.
Turns out that the week we were in Florida was also Florida's school vacation week... We usually go in April but we went in mid-March because of a military service for one of my relatives and the Disney trip was a little bonus treat

I had to wait TWO HOURS in line for Big Thunder Mountain because my dad kept telling me and my mum "Don't worry this line'll go quickly"

:\
"Don't worry this line'll go quickly" is the mantra of people not trying to lose it, and also famous last words.

Otterhead

I would hope that having security see it and stop you from pounding the jerk, is because they were stopping him and giving that jerk a trespass notice for assault.
It was a 14-year-old (or so) kid with his parents, and the kid was running out the gate; if anything they probably just stopped his parents and told them what happened.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
I got one. Happened when I was a kid. We were eating at O'hana and the characters were coming around for us to get their signatures in our nice little books that we always got. Well, my parents were ready to leave but here came Goofy. I really wanted his signature. So, I walked up to him, in the process of handing him my book and pen. He shakes his head No and makes a motion with his hand and arm suggesting that he will walk around the whole room first...

No Goofy signature. Oh and what made it worse? We were leaving Disney right after. Needless to say, I cried a whole lot on the way home..almost ruined...well, it ruined it for the day at least.
Sorry, Goofy is my main man, I would have died not getting Goofy signature.

Otterhead

Another quick moment:
During one trip, I bought a Bre'r Rabbit bobblehead at Splash Mountain and sat down on a park bench in Frontierland; a friend called me over to get a photo, and I mistakenly left my shopping bag behind. In that brief window, someone swiped it. I've never had anything stolen at WDW, so such a quick snatch-and-grab crashed me back to the 'real world' where you have to guard your possessions constantly.

The bobblehead was a gift, so I went back to the store to get another one. The CM remembered me and asked why I was getting another, and I explained that the first one had been snatched from a bench, but that it was my fault for leaving it unguarded. They said "what? That's ridiculous! I'm not letting you pay for another one, here, take it," and handed me another with a smile. I'm always amazed by the ability of a good CM to turn a bad situation around.

mousehockey37

Please don't forget, I gave her the 2 buck tip because the way she handled it. If she explained to me that getting scanned the first time did not cover everything, still had to scan for the additional charges and not had us wait for another half a hour + just to get us taken care. If she promptly had taken care of , I would have added to her tip, for the inconvenience we caused, but when she went out of her way to treat us like criminals and inconvenience us, then no tip. I have been a chauffeur and had the evening go perfect on the trip, and make a mistake in the end that blows the tip.

There's little to no excuse for a $2 tip. You can defend all you want, I'll contest that a lower tip is fine, but $2?

So lemme get this straight again. For YOUR inability to read the terms and conditions of the dining plan, you left a crappy tip because you got caught leaving without paying the bill for things that weren't covered? If you would've been a good patron and known how the dining plan worked, there'd have been no awkward situation.

You put yourself and this server in this mess. The least you could've done was swallowed your pride that you screwed up and left the full tip.

Cosmic Commando

There's little to no excuse for a $2 tip. You can defend all you want, I'll contest that a lower tip is fine, but $2?

So lemme get this straight again. For YOUR inability to read the terms and conditions of the dining plan, you left a crappy tip because you got caught leaving without paying the bill for things that weren't covered? If you would've been a good patron and known how the dining plan worked, there'd have been no awkward situation.

You put yourself and this server in this mess. The least you could've done was swallowed your pride that you screwed up and left the full tip.
Not every guest is perfect, but it sounds like the server could have handled things better. It's easy to be nice when everything is going smoothly.

mousehockey37

Not every guest is perfect, but it sounds like the server could have handled things better. It's easy to be nice when everything is going smoothly.

I've already agreed the server could've done a better job with the situation.

The OP also did not ask for a manager. That should've been step #1 honestly. So the fact that they didn't have the common sense to do this, and let his family standing there looking like criminals... it's on them. Not the server. If you go back and re-read, the server was still trying to provide quality service to their other guests while dealing with this, so the fact that he got left waiting? Sounds like the server was doing their job and getting to him when they could.

This whole thing was easily avoidable, but given the reactions to all (if this is truly how it went down, we only have 1 side here), the OP is to blame for even letting anything happen due to not knowing something simple like alcoholic beverages aren't included on the plan.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
I've already agreed the server could've done a better job with the situation.

The OP also did not ask for a manager. That should've been step #1 honestly. So the fact that they didn't have the common sense to do this, and let his family standing there looking like criminals... it's on them. Not the server. If you go back and re-read, the server was still trying to provide quality service to their other guests while dealing with this, so the fact that he got left waiting? Sounds like the server was doing their job and getting to him when they could.

This whole thing was easily avoidable, but given the reactions to all (if this is truly how it went down, we only have 1 side here), the OP is to blame for even letting anything happen due to not knowing something simple like alcoholic beverages aren't included on the plan.

I guess we agree on it being a bad situation, other than I was supposed to know the multi step process that is the sit down meal. I knew the tip and the drinks were not covered. I was scanned when we sat down. What I didn't know at the time was that I had to get scanned again at the end of the meal. Reading the other posts it does sound like a common problem. What your saying is it is my fault for not knowing the process because I should have JUST known? It was my fault I didn't escalate it to management level, because it is my job to know better? I almost would like to know how you would have handled this. Remember you can't use any of your great wisdom you have learned from previous visits. This is your first day, first sit down meal, you never used the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan before. Your only other DDP experience was a quick serve where you tapped once for MB. Just out of curiosity, other than from just learning the hard way, where could someone learn the ins and outs of the proper steps in using the MB in dining?

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
Now, I just read the 2016 DP brochure again, and the interesting part is that if you have not linked a credit card, you will be asked for a form a payment at the end of the meal, if you add on beyond the plan. I had our Disney CC linked to the MB. So, it should not have been a problem, as they already had my info and could have just charged my room. There is nothing in it saying I have to scan once, Eat, Scan again, wait, sign receipt, go.
I see that they automatically assess a 18% gratuity if you request any additional items beyond the DP, like alcohol.
Seams chincy, if they are already serving you, but I have been a baker, a line cook, and a chauffeur, so I get giving tips. I know if you call your customer out and make a scene, you shouldn't get tipped.
After going through the first day, that is when I had finally learned the correct procedure while at a sit down meal. Scan,Eat,Scan,Wait,Sign,Go. SESWSG. Or if you quick serve depending on the layout you either scan and get food or you get food and scan.

mousehockey37

I guess we agree on it being a bad situation, other than I was supposed to know the multi step process that is the sit down meal. I knew the tip and the drinks were not covered. I was scanned when we sat down. What I didn't know at the time was that I had to get scanned again at the end of the meal. Reading the other posts it does sound like a common problem. What your saying is it is my fault for not knowing the process because I should have JUST known? It was my fault I didn't escalate it to management level, because it is my job to know better? I almost would like to know how you would have handled this. Remember you can't use any of your great wisdom you have learned from previous visits. This is your first day, first sit down meal, you never used the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan before. Your only other DDP experience was a quick serve where you tapped once for MB. Just out of curiosity, other than from just learning the hard way, where could someone learn the ins and outs of the proper steps in using the MB in dining?

There's great resources available online that detail how the DDP works. People use them so they don't get treated like criminals on vacation. You're actually on one of those resources by the way.

ETA: Over the course of this thread, you haven't taken responsibility for this. Disney isn't responsible for educating you on the dining plan and/or how to use it. There's no dvd that comes with your magic bands that explains the "powers of the band". You basically bought a product and used it, not knowing its capabilities. Did you honestly think that being scanned at the beginning of a meal meant they took your credits then? If you would've paid cash, would you have paid at the door? No. You would've paid at the end of the meal.

Disney didn't almost ruin anything. The server who could've handled the situation better, didn't almost ruin anything. It was you.

Even though it's Disney, it's still a business. If this scenario were to take place at the local Olive Garden, would you not have asked for a manager? Why is Disney any different? Just because it's Disney?

Everyone runs into glitches at some point on a vacation. It's how you handle them. This was a fail on the customer end. Not the business.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom