That moment that nearly ruined the magic

Minthorne

Another reason I hate the dining plan - it is more headaches not less. Nothing is all paid for ahead of time, it's like 75% paid ahead. Always have to pay for the tip and and extra drinks. Such a pain for little to no savings.

jloucks

Another reason I hate the dining plan - it is more headaches not less. Nothing is all paid for ahead of time, it's like 75% paid ahead. Always have to pay for the tip and and extra drinks. Such a pain for little to no savings.
The savings depends on the type of deal you get on the plan. We have been able to get it 'free' (more like included) twice. That was some pretty good savings. Probably.

Minthorne

The savings depends on the type of deal you get on the plan. We have been able to get it 'free' (more like included) twice. That was some pretty good savings. Probably.

Yeah, if it is free and a family of 4 it is almost always better than the room only discounts. I stay DVC usually so it's never 'free' for me.

JohnD

It's been my experience that anger is universal. Show them that you're really cheesed off, and they'll figger it out.

I did. They just look back at me and continued taking photos. Would do no good to yell again. CMs would yank me off for being a belligerent guest. I just stewed until the end of the ride but did complain to CMs. I asked why don't they speak through the loudspeakers when a guest does that. They gave me some lame excuse like it happens all too often or would ruin the ride experience for their guests who have to hear them (as if the flash doesn't?). Well, it would happen less often if they warned guests.

danyoung56

Actually, I tend to agree with the CM's on this one. It's a pain when flashes go off, and I've had more than one ride ruined by them. But hearing a warning message in multiple languages several times on a ride would be an even bigger drag. I guess my experience is different than yours - I have no problem getting my message across, especially when someone turns around and flashes right in my eyes!

ninjaprincesst

But I mean, nothing against the OP, but when in your life have you not had to sign for something? I don't know of any hotel that sends directions beforehand. That's why I'm curious to if this happens relatively often..it very well could.
But in the op defense you tap your band for quick service and snacks , your done nothing to sign, yeah you should probably know to wait for a receipt, but still I can see how it happened.

castlecake2.0

First- it would be totally awesome if mimosas were included in the dining plan. ;)

Second-
I've never though about this particular situation before.. I wonder how many times this happens at resorts where key cards or rfid bracelets are used.

I worked in table service dining at WDW and it would happen from time to time. The guest wouldn't know any better, eat their dessert, then leave. I would always try to drop the check after I asked how desserts were and explain how it worked. A lot of podiums ask what resort the guest is staying at now so if this happens they can charge any extras to the resort room, but the server loses out on any would be gratuity(a lot of guests think this is still included too).

Sonconato

Many of you probably have had that moment that nearly killed the magic.
I have been to DLR tons of times, but our first WDW trip was in 2016. We are not wise in the ways of the WDW force.
When we checked in we really could have used a how to seminar. We had used our DP at the ASMo food court, but the late in shift cashier really didn't care if we use it to the fullest advantage or is we were using it right. Our very first full day we had O'Hanas ADR. The breakfast was good, the Characters awesome. the dancing, parade, and the maracas. All fun, the waitress even told to accidentally drop the maracas in our bag, because our 10yr old loved it way too much.
Here is were the magic almost was broken for the entire trip. Noobs, should almost be blazed on our MB scans the first day to help CM help us navigate the system. We get scanned at the begging of the meal, and the CM even says "hey you have the Cadillac plan" 3 sit down DP. We noticed there was a cycle, so when everyone around us had gotten up we were like ok, they scanned us, we should be ok and left. I did leave an extra bit of $ on the table wanting to tip the CM for great start. I had to use the restroom before we got on the monorail to the MK. I come out of the restroom to find the CM and my wife in heated discussion. The CM sees me and goes "you didn't pay" I not knowing any better told you scanned us, are we not done. "she goes you didn't pay, yet I still come out with a bill for you" I was still confused, responded that we had the Cadillac DP, all be covered. Even left an extra for tip. She goes you need to come back into the restaurant to pay. So, ok, let get this figured out. She leads us back into the dining area, and put us by the dinner buffet area, not being used for b-fast. We stand there for over 15 minutes waiting for her to return. We can see she is waiting her section. we are getting stares from the various tables that are seated near us wondering what this lost family is doing just standing there. The CM finally comes back to us with the bill. and the cash I left on the table. I can see the alcohol drinks and the tip are already on the bill. couple of mermosas and 28 bucks in tip. At this point we are not too happy having her take off and not help us, but we also were not sure what we had done wrong. She tells us we have to add the cash on to the charge for the additional tip. ????, I tried to tell her first day we don't know the process, but instead of taking the time to explain to us, she tells it our fault she is running behind on her tables and takes off again. I cross out the tip mark it to 2 bucks cash. write in the balance for just the drinks. She doesn't come back for another 10 minutes before processing the charge with another MB mickey kiss to the scanner. she gives me the receipt, after I ask for it. Half hour just waiting to cash out, damn nearly ruined the Magic for us. The whole WDW system was new to me, and having a CM make us feel like we were dirt bags for not knowing, made it hard to come back.

The funny part is that day it rained. like a white squall just as we got into the Castle court yard drench finding cover at laugh floor. paying 32 bucks for socks each, didn't even kill it. That CM interaction really, even to this day, leaves me burned. We finally got the explanation eating at Kona that night, best food, CM, even hooked us up with extra water to take to our room. Added$50 on top of her tip she made the Magic happen. The fact it was the first morning the first day, and the whole trip could have been left less magical, that is what this post and thread is about.

What was the most unmagical moment that did or nearly ruined the magic for the trip, and did you get the magic back.
I'm really sorry you went through that. You really did a great job in having a good rest of your trip. Every now and then you get certain people who can only see it one way without taking a step back to assess the situation. Nine times out of ten, the cast members are unbelievable. I feel bad for people when something like this happens. It's too bad they can't give cast members more training on different scenarios that could happen. This magic band system is a lot to try to take in.

21stamps

I worked in table service dining at WDW and it would happen from time to time. The guest wouldn't know any better, eat their dessert, then leave. I would always try to drop the check after I asked how desserts were and explain how it worked. A lot of podiums ask what resort the guest is staying at now so if this happens they can charge any extras to the resort room, but the server loses out on any would be gratuity(a lot of guests think this is still included too).

There should be an automatic 18% added if that happens.

I just can't remember ever having my magic band scanned at Ohana or any table service restaurant before the meal. Is this new? Or has it always been this way and I just have a bad memory?lol

DfromATX

I remember when tips were included in the DDP. That was nice.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
I'm really sorry you went through that. You really did a great job in having a good rest of your trip. Every now and then you get certain people who can only see it one way without taking a step back to assess the situation. Nine times out of ten, the cast members are unbelievable. I feel bad for people when something like this happens. It's too bad they can't give cast members more training on different scenarios that could happen. This magic band system is a lot to try to take in.
Thank you

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster

I just can't remember ever having my magic band scanned at Ohana or any table service restaurant before the meal. Is this new? Or has it always been this way and I just have a bad memory?lol
The first meal we had was dinner at the quick serve the night before, and scan done. When we had breakfast at Ohana they scanned tn MB in the beginning. CM even commented we had the DDP. How was I to know we had to scan again. I would have thought they would ask have you used the DP before, even if I had, a quick run down helps to minimize the issue. In the end, she should have scanned us and got us signed and out of there instead of making us feel like criminals when we did not know any better.

Jedi Stitch

Original Poster
I'm sorry that it seams to happen a lot. Having been in the service industry before I understand getting stiffed on tips.
Sounds like then there is a disconnect in the training program or the way the end user learns the in and outs of the system.

mousehockey37

So you went to WDW, not knowing how the dining plan worked. Ok, that happens.

You had alcoholic beverages with your meal. Those aren't covered under the dining plan. You have to pay another way.

So you left the restaurant and got tracked down. So yes, you in fact, did dine-n-dash in a sense.

The CM didn't handle it the best way they could, but you also didn't know how the plan worked/what it covered.

You're both at fault here, and as others have said, getting a manager probably would've made life easier. You left your server a $2 tip. That's lousy. A lousy tip for a lousy guest that didn't know alcohol wasn't included on the dining plan. I think you should find a way to send the rest of the tip to the server.

It's not always the fault of the mouse. People need to be informed of the products they buy. Then again, this is 'Murica, anything goes anymore.

castlecake2.0

When we first started using the "touch to pay device" in our restaurant we were trained to scan the band when we greeted the table with the script of something like "I see we are on a dining plan, if I could capture some information from your magic band I can help guide you through the menu". When we scan the band we can see the resort and how many credits and such the guest had. This information turns into a barcode that we scan into the POS as tender for the check. We would then say something at the end of the meal like " I'm going to go take care of your dining plan and bring you the check for you to confirm".

mimitchi33

It rained very hard the entire week on my recent visit, but after doing Soarin' Around the World and Frozen Ever After the first day, I felt so much better! I had to buy ponchos and socks. Also, at Universal that same trip, my mom's credit card was stolen at the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom