Trip Report Thank Heaven for Little Girls.

A few years back my son and I took a trip out West and along the way spent a few estrogen free days in Disneyland. This year was the girl's turn, even if that wasn't part of our original plans.

Planning vacations as your children get older can be a difficult task. Demands from college, high-school, camps, activities, and even part time jobs end up leaving very few open spaces on the calendar. Lately it seems that mid July to mid August is our sweet spot for getting away and so it was again this year. Based on a great deal on a condo found by my wife Val, we came up with a somewhat last minute plan to visit Clearwater Beach Florida...and oh yeah, we decided to drive down from Pennsylvania. I also had an eye to sneak away to WDW for at least a day during our week stay.;)

My son Sterg had to bow out of the trip. He's starting college at Penn State this year and since he's on their swim team he needed to stay behind and train. See what I mean about other demand? Don't feel too bad for him however, he has had a few nice trips of his own over the last six months. It may have also saved his life as I'm sure having to deal with him for 18 hours in a car would have stirred some primal blood anger in me.

Without Sterg it would leave myself, my wife Val, my 21 year old daughter Alex (about to become a college senior) and my 13 year old daughter Toni. Not quite "little girls" anymore but as most Dads will attest to; they are always little girls. Anyone who has read my previous reports knows that Val is not the biggest Disney fan - but how could we be so close to WDW and not go? After much deliberations on the scale of the Yalta conference we hammered out an arrangement to make one day on our trip "Chris, Alex and Toni get to go to Walt Disney World" Day. Where there is a will...

The big day came - we departed on a Saturday at 3pm in the afternoon after loading up our trusty stead/Ford Explorer. Leaving Sterg home by himself for a week brought it's own set of issues but he was all smiles and willing to play photographer as we said our goodbyes...

At this point we had no idea what we were getting into...

i-tbh7xkX-XL.jpg

Sterg's long arms came in handy here...

i-fRT3gx2-XL.jpg

Alex and Toni settling in for a long voyage and adventure while Sterg makes sure we say our goodbyes to Prince our dog.

i-dMP37WZ-XL.jpg

We were on our way to Florida!

jjbuster2

We ALWAYS rent a car when traveling to Dis. It just makes park hopping so much easier. We also love to hit up the Disney outlet stores:) AWESOME pics of Epcot!!!
We only have a 10 hour drive down so we usually drive to WDW. Usually we take Disney transportation to parks but AK seems to often be one we drive to...if the right buses aren't coming it is nice to have the drive option :)

Frac, love the SSE pictures :)

fractal

Original Poster
My daughters, as I've said before, have very different personalities. Alex is more content with things, doesn't like to ruffle feathers, is more patient, caring and not much of a risk taker. Toni is hardly content, wants to always be doing something and has no problem speaking up or taking action to get her way or make a point. She's not very patient and is comfortable pushing the envelope. So pretty much they are opposites, which on occasion will lead to some "clashes of personality".

Alex wanted to stick around after SSE and check out some of the games; especially the one were you operate on a person. This made sense being that she's a Biology major in college. The problem however was that all the games were taken and who knows for how long. Toni was ready to keep moving but Alex wanted to wait. They both pleaded their case with me as I was taking a picture.

i-jZtPrNc-XL.jpg

"Alex wants to wait for this stupid video game and it's going to take forever. Can we just go?"

"Toni, you just want to always get your way and the game is not stupid, it's actually pretty cool."

"It's stupid!"

"No it's not and stop being a baby about it."

OK, time for Dad to intervene.

"Alright, lets see if we can find an open game".

No such luck and those playing it seemed very absorbed in their virtual reality surgeon world. I was trying to stall a bit hoping one would come free.

"Hey Toni, did you find you and Alex up on the big screens?"

"Yes, I want to go on Test Track or Mission Space."

Finally Alex caved. "let's just go so the little Princess doesn't flip out".

"Alright, let's go" I said "Alex what would you like to do next?"

"How about Soarin?" Alex replied

"No fair!" said Toni "I want to do Test Track or Mission Space"

"But Toni, you love Soarin'" I said, starting to feel like we were making a public scene.

This time Toni did not get her way. We came out into the sun and heat,

i-NNttKnd-XL.jpg

i-pQCvBf6-X2.jpg

and headed over to the Land.

i-pPMrfV3-XL.jpg

By this time Alex and Toni had reconciled and walked up ahead of me while I paused for some photos.

i-TXqT6Bk-XL.jpg

i-XFWbXcM-XL.jpg

I caught up with them just inside the entrance. I told them to stop because we were at one of my pre-planned photo spots.

"OMG, really??" they both said before laughing.

"You pre-planned this?" Toni said giggling.

"Hi, pre-planned" said Alex. This was a little "thing" they do with the word "Hi". Like if they think I would say something funny, stupid, or out of character they would respond with "Hi".

Like if I would say "Hey did you hear the new Taylor Swift song" They would respond;
"Hi, Taylor Swift". Kinda like saying "did you really just say that".

Anyway -

I wanted to take a picture of the interior of the land with my Fisheye. (Hi, Fisheye) Because I already had on the wide angle zoom, and with the two daughters now expressing their frustration at their slow moving Father, I kept the Fisheye in my bag and just used the wide-angle. I was a bit upset with their impatience but started to realize how patient they really were with me. Not once did they ask to go off on their own, they wanted to do and see many things but they still wanted their Dad along. I could deal with being their source of amusement.

The shots came out pretty good.

i-vLbXPnT-X2.jpg

i-vDgvwfW-XL.jpg

i-Wm8644R-XL.jpg

Downstairs delivered the crushing news that Soarin' was over an 100 minute wait. It's seemed our luck with standby E-ticket rides had run dry. We also found out that Test Track was down and Mission Space Orange (Toni's flavor) was 40 minutes. Was it too late in the day to get Fastpasses? and where are these kiosks and how do they work with day tickets? These were the questions I was asking myself until Alex finally said;

"Let's go on Living with the Land!"

"No, not that ride" replied my thrill junkie. "It's so boring"

"It is not, and we are going on" I added.

Heck, even Living with the Land was a 15 minute wait. We boarded the boat and headed into our horticultural adventure. Alex and I very content and Toni with her hand holding up her dour face.

The aperture on my wide angle lens maxed out at f/4 so shots in the dark were very difficult and I didn't feel like switching. I did manage this shot in between the jerky moves of the boat and by trying to stay still as much as possible. Not to mention Toni's sarcastic commentary on how excited sand and rocks were.

i-SCTWs33-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Finally an area that was made for a wide angle lens.

i-szqTF84-XL.jpg

i-5d6gg3F-XL.jpg

i-hGnzCN7-XL.jpg

Toni continued her annoying play-by-play in a very facetious tone.

"Oh wow, look at the leaves. soooo cool. And look; bananas. Like we've never seen bananas before."

i-NhhkSRn-XL.jpg

Finally I had enough and threatened her with an early leave from the Parks. It did the trick. If she was honest with herself she would say she likes the ride. What she didn't like is not getting her way and not being on the ride she wanted.

As we entered the "fish tunnel" her attitude began to slowly change for the better.

i-9FWFFDb-XL.jpg

yum, tilapia! All we needed was a grill and some lemon and olive oil.

i-jw9XMWb-XL.jpg

i-F7dhV8D-XL.jpg

Toni had recovered enough to point out the hidden Mickey for me.

i-HFrJDZ6-XL.jpg

More LwtL

i-DZ4MZJw-XL.jpg

i-Jzm7pQs-X2.jpg

and then, Toni was finally Free!

i-ZgbB7J3-XL.jpg

We exited and left the Land behind (for now).

i-xWRMB3T-X2.jpg

Last edited:

lostpro9het

My daughters, ..
"Alex wants to wait for this stupid video game and it's going to take forever. Can we just go?"

"Toni, you just want to always get your way and the game is not stupid, it's actually pretty cool."

"It's stupid!"

"No it's not and stop being a baby about it."

OK, time for Dad to intervene.

"Alright, lets see if we can find an open game".

No such luck and those playing it seemed very absorbed in their virtual reality surgeon world. I was trying to stall a bit hoping one would come free.

"Hey Toni, did you find you and Alex up on the big screens?"

"Yes, I want to go on Test Track or Mission Space."

Finally Alex caved. "let's just go so the little Princess doesn't flip out".

"Alright, let's go" I said "Alex what would you like to do next?"

"How about Soarin?" Alex replied

"No fair!" said Toni "I want to do Test Track or Mission Space"

"But Toni, you love Soarin'" I said, starting to feel like we were making a public scene.

This time Toni did not get her way. We came out into the sun and heat,

and headed over to the Land.

By this time Alex and Toni had reconciled and walked up ahead of me while I paused for some photos.

I caught up with them just inside the entrance. I told them to stop because we were at one of my pre-planned photo spots.

"OMG, really??" they both said before laughing.

"You pre-planned this?" Toni said giggling.

"Hi, pre-planned" said Alex. This was a little "thing" they do with the word "Hi". Like if they think I would say something funny, stupid, or out of character they would respond with "Hi".

Like if I would say "Hey did you hear the new Taylor Swift song" They would respond;
"Hi, Taylor Swift". Kinda like saying "did you really just say that".

Anyway -

"Let's go on Living with the Land!"

"No, not that ride" replied my thrill junkie. "It's so boring"

"It is not, and we are going on" I added.
Be honest. How many times did you curse Sterg's swimming obligation on this day?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
What fun pictures you took inside The Land. Seeing the ceiling decorations through the lens of your camera made it appear even more festive, with all the colorful streamers and hot air balloon models. (Although, I do prefer the older version of The Land, before Soarin' came in--it was much more peaceful, and the decorations were pretty, but more subtle.)

I really liked the pictures inside the greenhouse--reminded me of the Behind the Seeds tour, in The Land, that I've gone on about 5 times now, over the years. (Very nice tour behind the scenes, only about an hour, and reasonably priced.)

Your trip commentary is always so interesting to read. :) It was so sweet to learn that both girls wanted to hang out with their dad, despite the fact that they thought you couldn't keep up with them! ;)

fractal

Original Poster
Really nice pictures in SSE! I love this ride so I'm glad to see them.

Thanks @disneypearl ! I had fun taking them.

Those were wonderful pictures of the inside of SSE; I was impressed that your photos came out so well with all the changes in lighting inside there, depending upon the scene. My favorite picture was actually outside of SSE. It was the walkway leading into SSE. Wow. What a picture! I'm not sure if you used one of your dandy wide angle lenses for that (the trees on the right and left look slightly tilted, so I'm just guessing here), but that picture was something to behold.

Thanks @MinnieM123 ! I took a similar one at night last try using my fisheye lens that's one of my favorites;

i-GVH5VSh-XL.jpg

We ALWAYS rent a car when traveling to Dis. It just makes park hopping so much easier. We also love to hit up the Disney outlet stores:) AWESOME pics of Epcot!!!
Thanks @Ella's Mommy ! I think that is the way we'll go next trip. I was surprised how much faster to was driving vs. the bus. Thanks for following!

Great shots inside SSE! I've never even attempted it.
Thanks @sheriffwoody !

We only have a 10 hour drive down so we usually drive to WDW. Usually we take Disney transportation to parks but AK seems to often be one we drive to...if the right buses aren't coming it is nice to have the drive option :)

Frac, love the SSE pictures :)
Thank you @jjbuster2 !

Great pictures, as usual!
Thanks @mousefreak ! I'm sure you're getting excited about your trip.

Be honest. How many times did you curse Sterg's swimming obligation on this day?
Ha,Ha. Many,many times!

What fun pictures you took inside The Land. Seeing the ceiling decorations through the lens of your camera made it appear even more festive, with all the colorful streamers and hot air balloon models. (Although, I do prefer the older version of The Land, before Soarin' came in--it was much more peaceful, and the decorations were pretty, but more subtle.)

I really liked the pictures inside the greenhouse--reminded me of the Behind the Seeds tour, in The Land, that I've gone on about 5 times now, over the years. (Very nice tour behind the scenes, only about an hour, and reasonably priced.)

Your trip commentary is always so interesting to read. :) It was so sweet to learn that both girls wanted to hang out with their dad, despite the fact that they thought you couldn't keep up with them! ;)
Thank you @MinnieM123 ! I also prefer the older version. We noticed people on the tour during our ride. I know for sure Alex would go on Behind the Seeds with me - not sure about the rest. A few trips ago Sterg, Toni and I did the Aqua Seas Tour (which was great!) and I've been itching to do another one but haven't.

Yes - they still love me ( and love to poke fun at me ).:D

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
It has been a long time since I did Mission Space Orange. Maybe back in 2009? I remember the G-forces and how it really felt like you were taking off in a spaceship. I also remember the queasy feeling afterwards and for the next few hours. Toni's mission that day was to go on Mission Space Orange and she was determined. I would have been more than happy to do MS Green and then wait for Toni and Alex until they did Orange, but Alex threw a monkey wrench in my plans.

"I'm not doing Mission Space" Alex said as we walked out of the Land. "I'm not feeling the best and that's going to make it worse".

That left only me as Toni's cosmic partner and despite my sound arguments supporting the merits of just doing MS Green, Toni won out this time and we were on the real trip to Mars.

Making our way to the launch...

i-X5Jq6T6-X2.jpg

At this point the fountains were starting to become bothersome with their temptation of instant heat relief.

i-CG2dRCc-XL.jpg

We arrive -

i-C87fDcs-X3.jpg

i-gNzLkp7-XL.jpg

i-HhP8CfC-X2.jpg

i-LZ9KGnF-XL.jpg

i-TP2r9zp-X2.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
The standby line was down to 30 minutes which was tolerable. It gave me a change to take some photos in line.

i-kqZHtFS-XL.jpg

i-SzRnt89-XL.jpg

i-hB7HmBF-XL.jpg

Just when were within distance of being the next group to go through, an announcement came over the PA informing us of delays in the Orange training session. 20 minutes later, we were in the same spot listening to the same message and I was becoming more annoyed.
Toni convinced me to "hang in there" so I decided to give it another 10 minutes. If we didn't move in 10 minutes I was pulling the plug on the Mission. Hey Mister, can you help us out here?

i-3kV4nSW-XL.jpg

5 minutes later the line did start to move; then out of the crevices of my brain a thought materialized. Back in June I had an operation on my inner ear. In my final meeting with the surgeon a month after, he strongly advised me that scuba diving was a big no-no, which kind of bummed me because I've never gone and it was something I always wanted to do. The pressure, he explained, under water could be a bad thing for my now fixed right ear. Now he never said I could not go on Mission Space Orange, he fact he didn't give me any other restrictions besides scuba diving; however I started to fear that the constant G-forces of this ride may also not be the best thing for my ear. Should I risk it or should I ask for the chicken exit? I know Toni would be upset but having her Dad blow out his ear would likely (hopefully) upset her more. After a brief conversation with Toni I decided to stay with her as long as I could then hit the chicken exit. She was fine with going without me. So in the end, I didn't do MS Orange - but Toni did. It scratched her itch and she loved it! All's well that ends well.

I waited for her in the "special training" room.

i-Ng5gC3T-X2.jpg

As I was waiting for Toni, Alex texted me and informed me of major dark clouds approaching us. I was thankful that I brought a big ziploc bag with me for my camera. Although I also had a camera bag, I wanted the extra protection. We walked out of MS into a slight drizzle.

Last edited:

bebert

Thanks @disneypearl ! I had fun taking them.

Thanks @MinnieM123 ! I took a similar one at night last try using my fisheye lens that's one of my favorites;

i-GVH5VSh-XL.jpg

Thanks @Ella's Mommy ! I think that is the way we'll go next trip. I was surprised how much faster to was driving vs. the bus. Thanks for following!

Thanks @sheriffwoody !

Thank you @jjbuster2 !

Thanks @mousefreak ! I'm sure you're getting excited about your trip.

Ha,Ha. Many,many times!

Thank you @MinnieM123 ! I also prefer the older version. We noticed people on the tour during our ride. I know for sure Alex would go on Behind the Seeds with me - not sure about the rest. A few trips ago Sterg, Toni and I did the Aqua Seas Tour (which was great!) and I've been itching to do another one but haven't.

Yes - they still love me ( and love to poke fun at me ).:D

WOW, awesome pic.

fractal

Original Poster
My kids love to eat. In fact, dining at Disney is a big part of their love for a WDW trip. Last trip I let them all pick one favorite restaurant we would eat at for one of our meals. This time, with only a day in the parks, we did not have the option, which meant we needed some major compromise. I made the mistake of asking Alex and Toni together where they wanted to eat. Alex promptly said "the Mexican restaurant in the Pyramid", which I was ok with since we had never eaten there. Toni on the other hand wanted 50's prime time. When I made the decision that I wanted to go to DHS before EPCOT that knocked out Toni's pick. Her next request/demand was no Mexican food (she's not a big fan). I was close to overriding this "demand" I had found a time at San Angel Inn and was ready to book but the little snot really does have me wrapped around her finger.

OK - let's compromise. How about the new Pizza/Italian place in Epcot? Something new and it's gotten good reviews.

That went over like a lead balloon.

Getting desperate to book something I suggested 9 Dragons. We went there in 2009 and it was a hit - not to mention my kids are big fans of Chinese. They agreed. I was somewhat bummed because I wanted to try San Angel Inn - maybe next time.

So as the drizzle started to turn into rain we made the decision to head towards World Showcase. By the time Mexico was in our sights the rain was coming down steady. As we stepped into the Mayan Pyramid the skies let loose into an outright downpour. Once again, I did bring ponchos but like our 2011 trip when we were caught in the rain, I left them in the car ( room in 2011). We thought of getting a couple margaritas from the margarita bar for Alex and I until we saw the prices. Pass on that.

We wandered around inside and took in the great sights. We have not spent enough time in this very cool pavillion. I then introduced my daughters to the boat ride in Mexico that they never knew about.

i-5QCcVxX-XL.jpg

i-s4rw7Kn-XL.jpg

i-DvswsHq-XL.jpg

i-nDjFxX8-XL.jpg

i-3jLT4XL-XL.jpg

Toni said it was like a Mexican "It's a Small World" and it kinda is.
i-MdhP2P2-XL.jpg

i-cchjwST-XL.jpg

All three of us enjoyed The Three Caballeros (even Toni) and I think the girls loved having discovered a new Disney ride.

lostpro9het

Getting desperate to book something I suggested 9 Dragons. We went there in 2009 and it was a hit - not to mention my kids are big fans of Chinese. They agreed. I was somewhat bummed because I wanted to try San Angel Inn - maybe next time.
Oh man! I was hoping for a review. We're set to try it for the first time over Christmas.

I then introduced my daughters to the boat ride in Mexico that they never knew about.
Now this I cant believe! First time on The Three Caballeros!?!?

fractal

Original Poster
Wish we were eating here.

i-mdfrz8V-XL.jpg

The downpour slowed to a steady rain and finally back to a drizzle, which prompted us to leave Mexico and walk briskly to China. Despite haven eaten at 9 Dragons before, on a whole we've never spent much time in China. Hopefully we would get a chance tonight.

We arrived about 15 minutes early but were promptly seated. In the end, 9 Dragons is a good Chinese restaurant - but one of the best if not best looking ones I've been in. And can you beat the location?

i-2b2srH2-XL.jpg

Our server was Kye and he was awesome! He was extremely attentive but not in an overbearing way. He made good suggestions and was quick to bring back our drinks; and my glass of water never got close to being empty and believe me, I was thirsty. He smiled often and was, in Oriental tradition, very respectful. Plenty of "Sirs and Misses" - I can't stand when I go to a restaurant and the server starts out with "how are you guys doing? what do you guys want to drink?". Does my wife and daughters look like "guys" to you? I know it's a casual expression, but too casual for me at any type of restaurant above a pizza joint. May as well call us all "dudes". In short, Kye was great. I happily tipped him very well and when I spotted the manager I called to him over to express my opinion on his server.

The food was good and probably tasted more so considering the heat, the rain and all the walking. We didn't leave much for the dishwasher to throw out.
Girls were happy!

i-W32fwjR-XL.jpg

Going to town at 9 Dragons. Food pics had to wait until major nourishment.

i-Zh2Cz6j-XL.jpg

Kye even did a good job with the pic which is never a given. He smartly brought each of us an extra plate so we could share meals.

i-LjHRWZR-XL.jpg

I walked out of 9 Dragons with a smile. We decided to explore China some more with nary a complaint from Toni.

i-bv4mf78-X2.jpg

i-GCshHQB-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I've walked past China's Temple of Heaven plenty of times but never explored inside. That was about to change.

i-knwpxcq-X2.jpg

Clay warriors were impressive and fascinating.

i-hScDfw9-XL.jpg

i-hh7tcCR-XL.jpg

i-Hv7zcLx-XL.jpg

Disney didn't spare any detail in replicating the ornate Temple.

i-MwmPGFk-XL.jpg

We all gained a better appreciation of Epcot's China and it set the tone for further World Showcase exploration.

i-XR8btV4-X2.jpg

Up Next - more countries!

DisSplash

Hi, Fractal! ;) Loving your report as always, and major dittoes on all the appreciative photo comments. You are very talented and there is definitely an art to your set-up! I am a huge fan of all of your SSE photos (I LOVE that ride!) including the one with yellow lighting, but most especially the one you took off center and from the vantage point of the fountain! That was an angle I don't think I've seen before. Very nice perspective.

We've never done 9 dragons, but I think that I will have to try it out next time - it looks very nice in there and if you say the food was good, what's not to like?

So, it really looks as if your day at all 4 parks is moving along at a successful rate, even if not everything is actually do-able. Those are just minor set-backs! I can't wait to see how the rest of the day/night pans out.....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Those outdoor pictures of MIssion Space were outstanding; you really captured the whole futuristic theme in those very interesting shots. The pictures of China were also gorgeous! :happy: (When I went there back in May, I saw the very talented Chinese acrobats in a performance, outdoors in that central courtyard area. That was a great show!)

You all looked so happy at 9 Dragons. Sounds like you had a delicious dinner and wonderful service. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom