News Test Track to be reimagined

JMcMahonEsq

I don't disagree, but the safety standards and regulatory oversight need to be rock solid.
Not to mention getting alot more companies familiar/comfortable with building the damn things and competing for construction. The two new reactors that were just built and went online in GA has absolutely unsustainable overruns in construction. Part of that could be blamed on contractor error but a lot of it is just not having a lot of well qualified people who are familiar with actually building these facilities anymore.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I don't mind EV's but I don't like heavy cars and EV's at the moment are just making things very heavy for the most part (with some exceptions).

A Tesla Model Y, the best selling EV, weighs less than a Ford F150, Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra, or a Ram pickup: the top selling vehicles in the US.

The weight argument is bunk.

mkt

Premium Member
The Model Y isn't a pickup truck. It's a midsize SUV....how much does the Cybertruck weigh?

The point is sales volume: the number of them on the road is a greater determining factor as to wear and tear of the roadway than a low volume outlier like the Cybertruck.

Twirlnhurl

The Tesla Model Y is a compact SUV that weighs between 4,154 and 4,155 lbs. The best selling compact SUV in 2022 was the Toyota Rav4, which weighs between 3,370 and 3,640 lbs.

Apples to apples, EVs are heavier. But they are less maintenance, more powerful, have less wear on brake pads due to regenerative braking, pollute less, and are all around a more nature technology (electric motors are older, more reliable, better proven technology than electric motors. The only reason ICE cars were ever used was because battery technology used to suck.)

The weight argument is not bunk, but ultimately unimportant (except for crash physics and road wear and tear reasons... But nobody actually cares about that. If they did, there would be a culturally salient opposition to the rise of SUVs in general over the past 30 years, and possibly opposition to CAFE standards, since they are the reason why much lighter station wagons all but disappeared from the roads).

At the end of the day, this is all a side show to the real issues about range anxiety, charging infrastructure--large swaths of the population don't have a garage to plug their cars in to nor the means to add charging equipment to their overnight parking spot, and fears of government overreach, like California's idiotic ICE ban.

That said, I bet that electric cars will not be the focus on new Test Track. I think GM wants to sell cars to everyone, not just people for whom EVs make sense (even if that is a majority of their customers).

JoeCamel

That said, I bet that electric cars will not be the focus on new Test Track. I think GM wants to sell cars to everyone, not just people for whom EVs make sense (even if that is a majority of their customers).
With the pledge to be all electric by 2030 I bet GM will want TT electric.
Other automakers are pledging 2025 and some are 2028, this is right on the horizon. I don't think we can shift like that (infrastructure mostly and the bottom line damage to the planet) but it is what will happen. Billions and Billions as Carl would say have been tossed into making this happen
The fallout may have unintended consequences I fear

OK enough EV debate please go back to what they will do to TT, I liked 1.0 as a behind the scenes peak into how cars are tested.

mkt

Premium Member
does anyone know what is actually happening?
No one outside of a small handful at Disney, GM, and possibly some suppliers/contractors.

My best guess, seeing the direction GM is headed in with regards to its products, is an EV focused re-imagining that touches on the history of cars, from the earliest EVs, to ICE, then back to electrification, and pivots into modern day EV development, and the future of it.

Nland316

The exterior is soooo much better without the canopy. I hope they either scrap it, or integrate it better with this update..

IMG_9978.jpegIMG_9976.jpeg

Disney Maddux

Not at this point. Heck, we don't know what the inside of Tiana's Bayou Adventure will be like. Nor what Disney is building near the Imagination Pavilion nor what is next to Pizza Rizzo. Nor which of the blue sky projects they're actually going to pull the trigger on.
Wait since when were they building something next to Imagination? This is news to me.

Twirlnhurl

I would also love to see the canopy go away, provided that the functions that occur under the canopy be moved under the building roof.

Tge only way to do that with the current ride track and be able to accommodate the queue would be to build an addition to the building, possibly behind a berm to the left of the entrance. This would of course change the actual form of the building, but could return the perceived form of the building to something closer to its original intent.

It would be a long shot for sure, though.
1000016965.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wait since when were they building something next to Imagination? This is news to me.
1703683153154.png

Twirlnhurl

If every single one of their movies continues to flop the answer is going to be “none of them.”
I wouldn't be so sure. Theme park investments drive attendance and hotel bookings (and tens of millions in I'll revenue, if it is good). Theme parks are a more reliable way to get a return on Wall Street's investments. Heck, "Disney isn't investing enough in the parks" has been a major criticism of the board over the past year. So if movies keep doing poorly, I would expect a stronger emphasis on park and resort investments, as they generate more reliable returns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom