News Test Track to be reimagined

Earlie the Pearlie

I can't wait for the new Test Track 3.0! I love Test Track It is my favorite ride at Epcot! What do Electric Cars have to do with Test Track? And i love the new concept art of the New Test Track. :confused:
So the summary is that EVs are what Chevrolet is currently pushing in advertising, and that the updated ride will probably reflect this. I agree that the concept art is very cool.

Colonel Angus

Am I in the minority? I liked the old version where it was a vehicle development/stress test course prior to it getting all futuristic hot wheels.

I think they could incorporate some elements of motorsports into a new version. Assuming they're not going to re-do any of the actual track, that might be hard to do. But, just make it like the original again. Or seeing as it is Epcot, incorporate some international automotive differences/themes into it.

Earlie the Pearlie

Am I in the minority? I liked the old version where it was a vehicle development/stress test course prior to it getting all futuristic hot wheels.

I think they could incorporate some elements of motorsports into a new version. Assuming they're not going to re-do any of the actual track, that might be hard to do. But, just make it like the original again. Or seeing as it is Epcot, incorporate some international automotive differences/themes into it.
I think that in any other park, that might be a good idea, especially the motor sports part. However, this is EPCOT, one of the most special and unique places in the history of themed entertainment, and I believe that most (if not all) of the pavilions should be at least somewhat educational and inspiring. I know that World of Motion was definitely kind of boring and needed an update, but Test Track 1.0 is very loud and 90s in a not great way. I think that combining the best elements of all three is the best thematic way to go forward. Also, I think international developments belong in World Showcase. Just my two cents though. I’m not trying to knock on your armchair imagineering at all

Colonel Angus

I think that in any other park, that might be a good idea, especially the motor sports part. However, this is EPCOT, one of the most special and unique places in the history of themed entertainment, and I believe that most (if not all) of the pavilions should be at least somewhat educational and inspiring. I know that World of Motion was definitely kind of boring and needed an update, but Test Track 1.0 is very loud and 90s in a not great way. I think that combining the best elements of all three is the best thematic way to go forward. Also, I think international developments belong in World Showcase. Just my two cents though. I’m not trying to knock on your armchair imagineering at all
How are motorsports and the history of them not inspiring or educational? Have you not been to the Petersen Automotive museum in los angeles? I think it would be an easy adaptation and could feature all types from rally to NHRA to F1 etc...
Sure, international considerations are in World Showcase but what about Club Cool? What about the new Moana weirdness in the middle of future world?

Rhinocerous

Premium Member

I only got to ride it once, but I always thought the original concept made much more sense than the update. Who doesn’t want to be a crash test dummy?

Earlie the Pearlie

How are motorsports and the history of them not inspiring or educational? Have you not been to the Petersen Automotive museum in los angeles? I think it would be an easy adaptation and could feature all types from rally to NHRA to F1 etc...
Sure, international considerations are in World Showcase but what about Club Cool? What about the new Moana weirdness in the middle of future world?
Ah! I meant that Test Track 1 wasn’t very inspiring. And I agree that Moana is out of place, but Club Cool is sponsored and about how Coke has brands throughout the world, which is their main gimmick in that pavilion-ish thing they have. If motorsports could sell Chevy cars, I’m sure they’d use that theme immediately. If you could find a motorsports-oriented sponsor to take it on, that could work too. In the meantime, I think that the closest you’ll get is the end of World of Motion with the air show.

Colonel Angus

Ah! I meant that Test Track 1 wasn’t very inspiring. And I agree that Moana is out of place, but Club Cool is sponsored and about how Coke has brands throughout the world, which is their main gimmick in that pavilion-ish thing they have. If motorsports could sell Chevy cars, I’m sure they’d use that theme immediately. If you could find a motorsports-oriented sponsor to take it on, that could work too. In the meantime, I think that the closest you’ll get is the end of World of Motion with the air show.
Yeah but what I was saying about club cool is it fits your international parameters but is NOT in world showcase as you say international items should be.

Motorsport sells more cars than just about anything else. Why do you think there are so many factory race teams in virtually every aspect of auto racing? Corvettes have long been breaking Nurburgring records and competing in 24hrs of Le Mans, etc… GM could still be the title sponsor I mean hello… NASCAR?!? I’m sorry but I think you’re incorrect. One of the main draws to TT is the fact that it is the fastest ride in all of the parks.

Certain cars exist merely because of Motorsport homologation rules where they have to produce X number of a vehicle in order to race it. Hence the WRX, Audi Quattro, and so on.

I think if they didn’t go back to the vehicle testing theme, a Motorsport theme would make the most sense at the lowest cost to reformat the attraction.I think V1 of the ride was very inspiring as it promoted STEM to a degree along with design. It showed some basic engineering principles.

WDWFREAK53

If they created a video tunnel around the outdoor portion, it could look like you are racing. Where the old crash test was, have another car lined up. Both take off at the same time with your car pulling ahead....and then the doors open and it's a video tunnel racing the car you just pulled away from.

Last edited:

jpwdis

If they created a video tunnel around the outdoor portion, it could look like you are racing. Where the old crash test was, have another car lined up. Both take off at the same time with your car pulling ahead....and then the doors open and it's a video tunnel racing the car you just pulled away from.
Sounds expensive so unlikely. But, if they did do this, they would no longer have to worry about inclement weather affecting the ride. No outdoor portion, no halting operations during storms. It would actually add the ride to the list of indoor attractions guests can wait in and ride when avoiding rain. Has my vote.

celluloid

Cool idea!
The built up force of acceleration of that would frequently break things and create a tunnel if not done carefully.

The other issue I have with that is, there is rarely a point to actual speed if a speed tunnel is simulating it. It could make it feel faster than 65 I guess but typically, speed tunnels are for slower speeds to feel more exciting.

Also with this particular ride system, my ears hurt just thinking about it.

Stupido

Sounds expensive so unlikely. But, if they did do this, they would no longer have to worry about inclement weather affecting the ride. No outdoor portion, no halting operations during storms. It would actually add the ride to the list of indoor attractions guests can wait in and ride when avoiding rain. Has my vote.

Also gets rid of the parkinglot sights. I always thought it was weird that we just looked at Cast Members going home.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I kind of forgot about this thread with all of the other ones that popped up after that day of announcements. I was a fan of the old Test Track, warehouse-look and all, and I was not pleased with 2.0. With Tron here now, it makes total sense that they're changing it, and it's all the better that Chevrolet is paying for it—we might actually get something good. Furthermore, there's a much better chance it actually happens with an outside sponsor, as it shouldn't be affected by budget cuts. Though I wonder what effect the autoworkers' strike is having on GM's financials.

Someone put earlier that the ride could be given more of a story for the first half until the hairpin turns—I think this is a brilliant idea and bridges the gap even more between old and new Epcot.

With all the bad news and announcements that came out of this event, this has potential to actually be good.

J4546

speak for yourself, i love electric vehicles and will probably get one soon.

Also, regardless of liking or disliking electric vehicles, its the future. all manufacturers are making fully electric cars now and will continue to do so. Ford, Chevy, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda etc...all of them going electric. The age of combustion engines is dying out, just like steam powered coal burning locomotive gave way to diesel we are entering a new phase in transport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom