News Test Track to be reimagined

Poseidon Quest

It's no myth..

Let's debunk your debunking... You suggest calling 'EPCOT outdated' a myth and support your POV by outlining how the premise and theme of the classic rides were still relevant, and blame lack of 'care' (as a wide catch-all for lack of refreshes) and later Eisner initiatives for the destruction of things you claim were salvagable.

But here is how your argument falls down. You never address the actual ATTRACTION as being dated or not...

Your entire punch line is a nitpick that play out like a fanboi love letter instead of facing the actual world and customer of the time.

instead of looking at the attraction presentation, it's format, it's tech, it's style, etc.. you use a generalization that your 'care' category could have somehow kept the attractions relevant like IASW or pirates have been... yet fail to dig into WHY those AA attractions are able to stay interesting to modern audiences while other AA heavy attractions quickly needed saving as the world around them changed.

Rather than acknowledge those rides were in desperate need of overhauls.. you focus on a point of 'the premise is still relevant, so we must call the idea of them being outdated a myth'. A ride that is desperately in need of a refresh and rework is still outdated, even if you still kept the attraction concept the same (like SSE).

FutureWorld even when new, was heavily criticized for elements like the repetition of the show format - and as you acknowledge, WoM and SSE hid it the least. Most of these shows that didn't survive all carried this same narrated slow moving history lesson format. Once the awe factor is removed... that common thread becomes a weakness because simply put... how many of the same thing could guests appreciate? That's why the format can survive in SSE, because it's largely on it's own now, instead of having 4 more of it all around it grating people down.

You completely miss the entire society topic as well... probably because you didn't actually experienced any of these attractions or the time frame, did you? The tone and how people were addressed was changing rapidly.. no more droning stiff collars, we were moving towards the Rad 90s. The narration and format felt dull and flat vs everything else that was emerging at the time. Living Seas and UoE were the worst in terms of feeling more like a 1984 reading... than entertainment.

The show tech itself... no more was just spinning silhouettes going to cut it. The film elements in all of the classic attractions really stood out as dated and stale. Every representation of what contemporary felt more 70s, than 80s and into the 90s. It felt more Disco->Syn Pop... and less futuristic. 1983 Tron graphics didn't inspire people anymore. AA figures needed advancement and lagged the newer innovations.

Early EPCOT Future World was able to wow everyone with scale and new. But by the late 80s.. the new was gone, the settings all felt woefully dated to society, the futurism was dated and not in sync with culture of the time.

As fans we all love Future World for it's ambition, it's scale, it's setting, it's uniqueness, and the work of some of the most famous imagineers. These things are all great. But they don't counter act many of the realities that matter to the gen pop that the parks rely on.

So yes, you are correct the themes behind the pavilions like Communications, Transportation, Energy, etc were not outdated - but that doesn't mean the attractions themselves at the time were not. And even if you say "well they just had to update them" -- Yes, that's exactly it.. they needed major overhauls of all major portions, story, tech, and style.. and that's why they were in fact outdated by the early 90s.

Arguing over how they could have been saved vs replaced, is a different argument... but doesn't negate that the pavilions were all due and their late 70s and early 80s look, tone, and tech were all hanging out as stale. So no, it's NOT a myth that Future World was outdated.

I don't recall what my exact words were, but I thought it was pretty clear that I was addressing the people who are always parroting that Future World didn't work because technology caught up to the rides, which I've illustrated were mostly focused on history.

I agree that the delivery was often dry, which could easily be fixed by updated narration. Animatronics could have been updated like they've been in many Disney classics to stop the attractions from "feeling" old. I'm not sure what you disagree with. Almost all of the issues you brought up could have been fixed with minor improvements or a few changes to show scenes here and there. I take your point that Future World was a bit over-saturated with the same tone, but I think that each attraction would have became more distinguished over time and additional experiences, including thrilling ones would have easily fixed that problem and balanced the park out better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't recall what my exact words were, but I thought it was pretty clear that I was addressing the people who are always parroting that Future World didn't work because technology caught up to the rides, which I've illustrated were mostly focused on history.

Well then i think you misunderstood the issues to begin with. The criticism was not about their premise - but the actual experience. Society, technology, and culture were all accelerating at radical speeds. The attractions were long in the tooth and several diverging from the current takes in society.

I agree that the delivery was often dry, which could easily be fixed by updated narration. Animatronics could have been updated like they've been in many Disney classics to stop the attractions from "feeling" old. I'm not sure what you disagree with.
You trying to call the criticism of the attractions as out of date. Just because you believe they could have been salvaged instead of replaced does not negate that the attractions had quickly become dated and NEEDED work.

Almost all of the issues you brought up could have been fixed with minor improvements or a few changes to show scenes here and there. I take your point that Future World was a bit over-saturated with the same tone, but I think that each attraction would have became more distinguished over time and additional experiences, including thrilling ones would have easily fixed that problem and balanced the park out better.

Adding more around them didn’t address the problem when they put in WoL (with bodywars) and he Seas.

While we miss the grand efforts of the imagineers… it doesn’t change that the format is still less popular than others now. Look at American Adventure… probably the greatest history attraction disney has ever created… and very similar to the old future world attractions (just theater seating verse moving)… yet isn’t a crowd favorite.

Attractions like WoM were just not going to survive given all the factors around it. Attractions like horizons needed complete reworks. Imagination is the biggest crime, followed by the potential of horizons.

Earlie the Pearlie

Look at American Adventure… probably the greatest history attraction disney has ever created… and very similar to the old future world attractions (just theater seating verse moving)… yet isn’t a crowd favorite.
I personally never really go on American Adventure, but my problem with American Adventure isn’t that it’s an animatronic history thing; it’s the utter whitewash of history that is foundational to the show. Motion definitely had some scenes that wouldn’t fly today, but they weren’t foundational to the show. I agree that it was always doomed, though.

Earlie the Pearlie

Look at American Adventure… probably the greatest history attraction disney has ever created… and very similar to the old future world attractions (just theater seating verse moving)… yet isn’t a crowd favorite.
I personally never really go on American Adventure, but my problem with American Adventure isn’t that it’s an animatronic history thing; it’s the utter whitewash of history that is foundational to the show. Motion definitely had some scenes that wouldn’t fly today, but they weren’t foundational to the show. I agree that it was always doomed, though.

Earlie the Pearlie

Sorry didn’t mean to post that twice

Rich Brownn

It does go into some pretty dark history though - genecide, the struggle to preserve natural beauty, among other things.

No Name

With the current ride yes, but it all depends on if it still fits the theme. Could replace with a shorter indoor section.
You can’t take the thrill out of the thrill ride. It would never work.

Unless what you replace is unfathomably mindblowingly exceptional, on a level better than anything Disney has ever done, it will be directly compared to the last version and considered a major downgrade by almost everyone who rides it.

No Name

Here’s a better use of the money.

IMG_7222.jpeg

And make the top speed 74.9 mph!

UNCgolf

Yeah, but different illusions have different degrees of verisimilitude.

People scream on FoP during the 'drops' even though the RV only has a vertical range of 3 feet.

Of course, but the Living Seas one was fantastic -- that was my point. It wasn't a knock on Flight of Passage; I was using FoP as a similarly good example of how knowing you're not actually doing it doesn't automatically lessen the experience!

Last edited:

Bocabear

Test Track 2.0 reminds me of Rocket Rods
not even remotely....Rocket Rods was just bad...it was a great idea that was value engineered to it's grave... The saddest thing is they are not bringing the People Mover system back as the replacement...just letting the track bed sit up there.
Disneyland's Tomorrowland could use a lot of love...much like our version.

JEANYLASER

I can't wait for the new Test Track 3.0! I love Test Track It is my favorite ride at Epcot! What do Electric Cars have to do with Test Track? And i love the new concept art of the New Test Track. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom