News Test Track to be reimagined

celluloid

Heavens no. The public did not want it then, they most certainly will not want it now.

World of Motion was very popular in ridership. One of the most comfortable ride vehicles ever created as a bonus.

And now that Test Track is the only thrill ride, something not a thrill ride would actually be welcome as that is all that side of the park is surrounded by.

Also, the post show was far superior to anything we have now.

osian

Test Track v1.0 - I loved the ride itself, but the queue line, sound effects and music were awful. Also, IIRC there were two pre-show video rooms just before the loading platform which caused queing issues when one room opened its exit doors before the queue from the previous batch had reduced. I also love v2.0, it's the same ride after all, except that the theme doesn't make sense (sim track??) and the three rooms after the brake test don't really do anything, as though they didn't know what to do with them after the hot/cold tests had been removed, and that's a lot of ride time that's wasted on doing nothing. I have a soft spot though for those vector-graphic trees that "energise" in front of you directly after those rooms.

What I will miss most is the v2.0 music. The queue music is so sublime, gives me tingles, especially the minimal, broken-down version that occurs just before the loading platform. Quite ambient, it's lovely. And the external music is much much better than the v1.0 music.

As long as the new version doesn't dumb-down (and it's looking like there won't be a Disney IP mandate) then I'm looking forward to v3.0.

I also rode World of Motion which, like all the original Epcot attractions, struck that perfect balance of fun/seriousness, fantasy/reality and history/future.

celluloid

Test Track v1.0 - I loved the ride itself, but the queue line, sound effects and music were awful. Also, IIRC there were two pre-show video rooms just before the loading platform which caused queing issues when one room opened its exit doors before the queue from the previous batch had reduced. I also love v2.0, it's the same ride after all, except that the theme doesn't make sense (sim track??) and the three rooms after the brake test don't really do anything, as though they didn't know what to do with them after the hot/cold tests had been removed, and that's a lot of ride time that's wasted on doing nothing. I have a soft spot though for those vector-graphic trees that "energise" in front of you directly after those rooms.

What I will miss most is the v2.0 music. The queue music is so sublime, especially the minimal, broken-down version that occurs just before the loading platform. Quite ambient, it's lovely. And the external music is much much better than the v1.0 music.

As long as the new version doesn't dumb-down (and it's looking like there won't be a Disney IP mandate) then I'm looking forward to v3.0.

I also rode World of Motion which, like all the original Epcot attractions, struck that perfect balance of fun/seriousness, fantasy/reality and history/future.

I agree with the Test Track 2.0 Music being one of the highlights.

My issue with all of them is that it has been too short a loop and repetitive. That would have even have helped the 1.0 bang bang, crash and drill track. For a ride that typically has the most open floor plan and queue with the length and downtimes it does, you hear it all way too much without variety.

flyerjab

What I will miss most is the v2.0 music. The queue music is so sublime, gives me tingles, especially the minimal, broken-down version that occurs just before the loading platform. Quite ambient, it's lovely. And the external music is much much better than the v1.0 music.

I agree with the music. I LOVE the music they play in that Pavilion.

AdventureHasAName

World of Motion was very popular in ridership. One of the most comfortable ride vehicles ever created as a bonus.

And now that Test Track is the only thrill ride, something not a thrill ride would actually be welcome as that is all that side of the park is surrounded by.

Also, the post show was far superior to anything we have now.
I always laugh when I hear Test Track referred to as a thrill ride. It's all the thrills of driving in your car on the highway for thirty seconds in the slow lane.

doctornick

The original always seemed mobbed when I was there... I never noticed a dip in favor other than the sponsor wanted something more thrilling...
The park needed something more thrilling - or broadly something more distinct from the other sedate FW rides - but it didn’t don’t need to be WoM that had to go.

DCLcruiser

I rode TT 2.0 the day it opened to the public. It was visually cool, but the CMs didn't have a clue how to help the queue build their cars, and it was a super clunky rollout. Fast forward to today, where they give kids 15 seconds to design their cars with zero outcome at the end except a hokey scoreboard, it just feels lazy.

TT 1.0 was aging badly and was kinda dumb, but TT 2.0 is just neon idiocy.
I wish they offered a way to design a car on the MDE app, then it uploads to your band. I could spend hours designing a car. (Yes, I realize there’s a post ride kiosk in the Chevy car show gallery).

celluloid

I always laugh when I hear Test Track referred to as a thrill ride. It's all the thrills of driving in your car on the highway for thirty seconds in the slow lane.

To be fair going 65 open air in a banked turn and that tiny dip at the doors plus the acceleration and theming is what makes it a thrill ride.
I think it is kind of neat as we are descentitized to remind you how fast it is. I remember from the original queue how fast 45mph really is with that raising impact test on the door(never really hit but slammed to a stop to show you)
If one analyzes it, rollercoasters really don't often go over 65 mph either and breaking that with launches is relatively recent. It is what they do in the maneuvers.

It was a dark ride thrill with a speedy finale.

Space Mt does not even reach 30mph.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Space Mt does not even reach 30mph.
It does! Laterally!

1695140803436.png

montyz81

The question is, will they bring back Centercore and the pepper's ghost affect? That would be the best way to "WOM onize" the next iteration of Test Track.

Also, with the attempts to use older attractions as influences, why wouldn't they use Horizon's to influence the next iteration of Mission Space. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure they could come up with something.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm only one example but I purchased a Chevy Avalanche in 2005 100% because my wife and I saw it on display in the Test Track post show. I was in the market for a truck and had an F150 lease ending. If we hadn't seen the Avalanche that day I most likely would have bough an F150.
Same for a Saab 92x I owned briefly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom