Test Track Poll - Which version do you prefer?

Which Test Track version do you prefer?

• I prefer Test Track 1.0 after having experienced both

Votes: 51 13.6%
  • I prefer Test Track 1.0 after experiencing 1.0 and seeing 2.0 on video

Votes: 49 13.1%
  • I prefer Test Track 2.0 after experiencing both

Votes: 125 33.3%
  • I prefer Test Track 2.0 after experiencing 1.0 and seeing 2.0 on video

Votes: 150 40.0%

• Total voters

Castle Cake Apologist

I'll have to check it out 2 years from now. That's the next time we'll be down there.

Bummer! But, yeah, after you swerve out of its way, the computer says "Automatic Crash Avoidance Technology disengaged"... it ties in with the responsiveness testing.

I honestly thought the truck made a lot more sense now as a computer simulation to test the car's ability to avoid a crash than it ever did as a random semi careening at you inside a GM proving ground. I never understood what it was doing there before.

rle4lunch

Bummer! But, yeah, after you swerve out of its way, the computer says "Automatic Crash Avoidance Technology disengaged"... it ties in with the responsiveness testing.

I honestly thought the truck made a lot more sense now as a computer simulation to test the car's ability to avoid a crash than it ever did as a random semi careening at you inside a GM proving ground. I never understood what it was doing there before.

Hopefully the audio is worked out before 2014! lol. Thanks for the clarification.

Epcotbob

So far it looks like it's almost 2 to 1 in favor of 2.0 for those who have experienced both.

Although I've only seen the video's for 2.0, to me the queue looks like it is a vast improvement over 1.0. It was almost painful to walk through the old dilapidated queue last time I was there. Would love to get an mp3 of the new queue music loop!

JWG

Test and adjust will go well past the grand opening. Especially given the real "soft" opening didn't start until the 2-3 days before its Grand Opening. We were there 12/1 and it was still only cast members and all walls were up. We were there 12/4 and all was down and operating. Hard to fully test and adjust how lines queue and timings with actual people involved without having people. Similarly, a ride full of empty cars is different than a ride full of loaded cars.

I don't know if I like 2 better than 1, in many ways I don't. But there are things I feel are much better, 1) queue 2) music/soundtrack 3) lack of visibility of other cars. With screens surrounding your entire ride (until the speed track), you don't notice other vehicles as easily.

At a minimum, I think it was a good redo for a ride that wasn't really redone (same track, same ride rhythm and performance mostly).

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
2.0 let me down. Commentary fit the surroundings very poorly. Queue is very very bland. The designing of the cars seemed rather pointless as it does not affect ride experience in the slightest form. All the white everywhere has doomed the queue to become dirty very quick. It is more of a "Ohhhhh look at the pretty lights in here" and not wow this is a quality attraction.

TalkingHead

Test and adjust will go well past the grand opening. Especially given the real "soft" opening didn't start until the 2-3 days before its Grand Opening. We were there 12/1 and it was still only cast members and all walls were up. We were there 12/4 and all was down and operating. Hard to fully test and adjust how lines queue and timings with actual people involved without having people. Similarly, a ride full of empty cars is different than a ride full of loaded cars.

That's pathetic. When the ride has its grand opening, the understanding should be that it's 100% show-ready. Not sure if you're saying Test and Adjust for TT only involves queue management -- that should be figured out during CM previews and soft openings. I guess this is just a case of opening an attraction that wasn't 100% ready because "media" was in town and they needed to blog their photos and tweet their reviews?

Mattdaddy4321

Was there this week and both times (2 different days) the ride was broken. 1st time couldn't get in. 2nd time waited for over an hour already designed my car then they told us we had to leave. Maybe they should have tested test track more before they opened it.

JWG

That's pathetic. When the ride has its grand opening, the understanding should be that it's 100% show-ready. Not sure if you're saying Test and Adjust for TT only involves queue management -- that should be figured out during CM previews and soft openings. I guess this is just a case of opening an attraction that wasn't 100% ready because "media" was in town and they needed to blog their photos and tweet their reviews?

This was just an example. We rode during soft opening and were told there was a 10-15 minute standby line. Took 25 minutes to get into design room, had a good 12 minutes in the design room and the queue was backed up into design room doors when we were released. Had to wait about another 25 mnutes. We then rode on 12/9 and got about 3 minutes in the design room and then walked (should have run) right onto the ride. Couldn't get a queue going?!

Still figuring things out. It's a no win for Disney. Allow for enough test time and the attraction stays closed longer. Open in less than perfect status to get better test and adjust and real life conditions and people experience less than perfect. There's no right answer.

Kuhio

I rode TT 2.0 several times over the last couple of days, and prefer it to TT 1.0... which isn't saying a whole lot.

TT 1.0 was fun enough as a ride, but thematically reductive in the context of both EPCOT generally and Future World specifically. Instead of interpreting a broad theme (e.g., transportation, communications, etc.) in a generalized but aspirational fashion, it dealt with a particularized concept (automobile testing) that was both narrow and pedestrian. Moreover, the cacophonous queue was probably one of the worst ever designed... how many times does anyone want or need to see a physical demonstration of traumatic force being applied to a simulacrum of a human torso?

As such, TT 2.0 is an improvement in almost every way over its predecessor... but that may be damning it with faint praise.

A few things of note: I think someone already mentioned on another thread that people going through the single rider and Fastpass lines can still design their own car... there are three terminals to do so in the postshow area. I held onto the design card I got from my first single rider go-around, and was able to design a car from scratch and use it on future ride-throughs. (The car design data apparently remains on the card until the card is used to initiate a new design process on a terminal. I was able to use a car I'd designed on a subsequent ride-through three days later.)

The one major problem with the post-show terminals is the fact that each is still programmed to run the design phase for the same amount of time as the terminals in the standby queue. Thus, if you finish designing your car very quickly, you can't end the sequence prematurely by selecting a "finish" option... you have to wait around for the timer to run down (sometimes taking several excruciating minutes) before you can move on. That's not to say that there's anything to prevent you from just leaving early, but your design can be tampered with by the next person if you leave before the countdown finishes. Moreover, the next person in line can't start their own design any earlier anyway, so he or she has to wait out the rest of the design period in any event. A CM informed me that they were looking into fixing this problem for the post-show design terminals, but I'm not optimistic that a change will be implemented any time soon.

Also, the outside loop is tied into the Sim Track portion of the ride: the last part of the inside ride makes it clear that the final test is of your car's power. When you are launched outside, the car's power is tested by seeing how fast it can go over a longer distance. The arrows on the outside track that used to be yellow have been painted a purplish hue, to tie them into the same color scheme as the "power" icons throughout the rest of the attraction. (I didn't say that the tie-in was effective... just that there was some meager effort at having one!)

celluloid

It should of been something more along the lines off "And now the final test. The open road for power." to get the point across that we are going off the grid and into the real world.

Scuttle

2.0 let me down. Commentary fit the surroundings very poorly. Queue is very very bland. The designing of the cars seemed rather pointless as it does not affect ride experience in the slightest form. All the white everywhere has doomed the queue to become dirty very quick. It is more of a "Ohhhhh look at the pretty lights in here" and not wow this is a quality attraction.

2.0 let me down as well, but not for the reasons you said, but because of the outdoor portion having absolutely no theming. Sorry a few blue arrows painted on the track doesn't do it for me.

Overall review: 2.0 fits into future world much better than 1.0, but 2.0 lacks the overall theming that actually worked in 1.0.

Prototype82

The new version is an EPCOT Center attraction. Too bad it kept breaking down two days ago and my on-ride audio wasn't working. But that happened with the old one...

OklaHoops

:) Test track 1 was slightly better than the 2.0 version as far as the ride goes. However, the pre-ride setup where you build your own car is outstanding. Also post ride the ability to try out your car makes the whole exerience with 2.0 better.:cool:

Fox&Hound

I rode the new version. Meh...It looks cool but I found it to be boring. Just a lot of neon lights after a while. I liked the story line better in the last one. But, I like the idea that they are trying to make improvements and change things up. Also, when we rode it we created our sim car but then when we went to ride it would not load. So, we never get to ride in "our car". Maybe that added to it....

rle4lunch

I rode the new version. Meh...It looks cool but I found it to be boring. Just a lot of neon lights after a while. I liked the story line better in the last one. But, I like the idea that they are trying to make improvements and change things up. Also, when we rode it we created our sim car but then when we went to ride it would not load. So, we never get to ride in "our car". Maybe that added to it....

This...
even tho TT 1.0 was juvenile, the new one is all style no substance. i do like 2.0 better tho.

Goofnut1980

Agreed! This ride is now boring. There was nothing to look at except some neon lights. And, I thought the trees has some laser light deal that projected on them... I didn't see anything like that. It sorta made a good ride, stupid.

MattC

So. Experienced TT for the first time after the refurb today and I like it. There are a couple of things I miss from the old ride, but the new one is really good. 2.0 is smoother, the visuals are great, and the queue is way better. That's my 2 cents :)

Tom Morrow

Maybe that added to it....
It doesn't. I mean, not that I've seen it working, but all it will do is display your cars on the screen after each section and rank them. Except you already have a general idea of how well your car did from the stats given to you while designing it. This is an aspect of the ride that I don't see being a crowd pleaser when it works... I wonder what the satisfaction scores are right now, with it not working?
Agreed! This ride is now boring. There was nothing to look at except some neon lights. And, I thought the trees has some laser light deal that projected on them... I didn't see anything like that. It sorta made a good ride, stupid.
The trees are supposed to do that, the effect must not have been working for you. Regarding your other comment, there is more to look at now overall. The only detailed scenes before were the environmental chambers (which were without question better before, IMO) and the barrier test.

I can totally understand preferring TT1.0 over this, but I don't think "there's nothing to look at now" is a good reason since there was mostly nothing to look at before, too.
So. Experienced TT for the first time after the refurb today and I like it. There are a couple of things I miss from the old ride, but the new one is really good. 2.0 is smoother, the visuals are great, and the queue is way better. That's my 2 cents :)
To be fair, TT1.0 was originally this smooth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom