Tell him or not?

LIMA TIME

So we are planning out next Disney trip for next May, so we are a year and a few days away. My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of not telling out son (he is almost 4, will be almost 5 at the time of the trip) and surprising it on him, when we are getting ready to leave. My thought: Is that one moment of shear excitment better than the building of excitement and the count down to going? Would love to hear peoples thoughts and past experiances.

tmantuano

I have a 4-year-old too and me and my wife are also planning on a trip next year. I think we are going to wait to tell her. We haven't made any reservations yet but that countdown idea sounds like fun. Now I have to think about how we're going to do it. Now I need to hear what everyone thinks too.

Upvote 0

Spikerdink

You could do a little of both, actually....

Set up the suprise in a fun, Disney way and watch as DS completes a scavenger hunt and watch the excitement when he figures it out.... the hard part is that you have a lifetime (to a four year old, anyway) to wait before the trip...

Once he knows the surprise, you can have him look at maps, think about what he wants to do...watch youtube videos, start saving up money for something special he might like and that helps really, really build the excitement.

If it were me, I think I would wait and give him that great surprise right as you leave. The next trip, when he is a bit older, he will be a Disney veteran and would be more excited to plan the trip. "Remember when we ate at the place with the Dinosaurs? Can we eat there again?" "Do you think I am tall enough to ride [insert ride]" and I think it would have more of an impact....

Either way, he is gonna love it!!!

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

We have done both. When we surprised them they did know we were going on a trip, it was just too hard to hide the packing for 6 people. The susprise was pretty cool, they though we were just going to the beach, are kids are so so on the beach. So we recorded them going under the Welcome Sign and we screamed, "were going to Disney World!" they were so shocked and went crazy!" they then told everyone in the lobby about the big susprise, it was pretty cute!
This trip they do know about the trip but we will only be at MK and DTD 2days before going to the beach and we are off property. Next long trip on property we will do the susprise again. I might be able to hide the packing since 3 will be in school all day and 1 in preschool.
If you are planning on susprising him have a backup story ready, my kids notice everything.

Upvote 0

danpam1024

I'd tell him too- planning is part of the vacation! Watching movies, countdowns, saving money or buying something for "the Disney Trip!". My DS LOVED going to the mailbox to see if Mickey sent us anything (maps, planning DVD, welcome letter, etc) Plus- I can't keep a secret to save my life when it comes to stuff like that! It killed me that he didn't figure out WE were Santa until he was 8 LOL! I love @Spikerdink s idea of the scavenger hunt!!!

Upvote 0

taz0162

my son was 4-1/2 and daughter 1-1/2 when we went. We counted down 100 days (due to my excitement) to our "vacation" and didn't tell him until the night before we left where we were going. It was so hard not saying where we were going.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I'd recommend telling him ahead of time -- but not TOO far ahead (2 weeks to a month, maybe). That will give him a great surprise, and he'll get to savor the anticipation ahead of time, without having to wait too long.

I know my kids would love to be surprised by a Disney trip at any time, but they enjoy the planning and "looking forward" part so much that I feel I'd be depriving them of something if I waited until the last minute. Every child is different, though. Let's face it: you're in a win-win situation regardless of when you tell him! :D

Upvote 0

LIMA TIME

Original Poster
We have done both. When we surprised them they did know we were going on a trip, it was just too hard to hide the packing for 6 people. The susprise was pretty cool, they though we were just going to the beach, are kids are so so on the beach. So we recorded them going under the Welcome Sign and we screamed, "were going to Disney World!" they were so shocked and went crazy!" they then told everyone in the lobby about the big susprise, it was pretty cute!
This trip they do know about the trip but we will only be at MK and DTD 2days before going to the beach and we are off property. Next long trip on property we will do the susprise again. I might be able to hide the packing since 3 will be in school all day and 1 in preschool.
If you are planning on susprising him have a backup story ready, my kids notice everything.

my son notices everything too.

this past thanksgiving we drove to sister in Sarasota, so we had to drive past Disney world on I-4, we are at the last exit and my son says, "Hey, were are in Disney!" Keep in mind he was 3 at the time and cannot read the green interstate signs! He must have felt it in the air.

Upvote 0

juniorthomas

I have a 4-year-old too and me and my wife are also planning on a trip next year. I think we are going to wait to tell her. We haven't made any reservations yet but that countdown idea sounds like fun. Now I have to think about how we're going to do it. Now I need to hear what everyone thinks too.

My almost 4 year old DD has no idea we're going in August. I want her to see the gates for the first time. I'll have my camera ready.

Upvote 0

davidc1578

We are driving down June 1st and are not planning on telling our kids (5 & 8) until Memorial Day. It's not their first trip and I think they would drive us crazy if they new any sooner. Counting down can be fun but I wouldn't tell them any more than a month out. One year of waiting to a 3/4 year would take forever.

Upvote 0

SAV

Oh, My kids would be mad if I did that. They love the "pre game" excitement leading up to the trip. They make paper chains, talk all about what they are going to do and are actually nice to each other. They get their allotment of pins and trade with each other. Normally they annoy the heck out of each other and can't stand one another.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom