Take or Leave?

Brian R

I asked about the 3 week trip and I was thankful for all of the responses. Now, I have some questions about what to take or leave at home. In the other thread someone recommended at least 2 pairs of good walking shoes. We have that covered as well the kids have 2 pairs of flip flops, a sturdy, high quality pair and a flimsy dollar store pair for poolside.

First off, we are going in July so I know Florida will be HOT but will there be any time day or night where we might need a jacket, windbreaker or even a sweatshirt?

Someone (not on this forum) also recommended taking an umbrella because Florida has unpredictable rain in the summer and they can be used as heat shields.

I'm also considering whether or not to let the kids take some of their action figures that they always play with. Mostly wrestling guys and army men. I'm thinking during the times that we are in the hotel room they will want to play with these like they do at home. The kids also have some reading and activity books and electronics. I also thought about bringing connect 4 and some of those board games.

So toys, umbrellas and jackets do I take or leave for 3 weeks?

HouCuseChickie

Another vote for no umbrella. I'd rather wear a light weight running cap during the day and a poncho if it rains.

I never bring anything to cover up from being chilled, but if anyone in your party tends to get a chill going from heat to a/c- you might want to consider bringing something.

As for toys, I like to bring Disney plush so Mousekeeping can arrange them on the bed while we're out...within reason, of course.

Upvote 0

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
Definitely bring an umbrella or a poncho! It does tend to get incredibly rainy during the summer here, so it's a must.
I'd bring a lightweight jacket. After a rainstorm it can get breezy outside and if you're already soaked from a storm and then duck into an air conditioned building, it's quite chilly. I always freeze in Hall of Presidents, for example, no matter what time of year it is.
And I think the action figures are a great idea. They can play with them in the room or maybe even while waiting for meals to come out at a restaurant. They don't take up that much space, so it can't hurt :)

Upvote 0

SAV

We brought little action figures for our kids. The only problem was when my son lost one of his in AK. So I'd say bring some, but don't bring the most favorite ones to the parks. You can also buy some Disney ones while you are there. A souvenir/toy combo.

My wife is an umbrella person, I'm the poncho type.

Our entire family wears sandals/flip flops to the parks. I can't see keeping your feet all wrapped up in shoes and socks in the Florida heat for days on end. We do bring multiple pairs so we can alternate or have a spare in case something happens to one of them.

We normally go in June and I never bring any type of sweatshirt/jacket/long sleeves, etc.

Upvote 0

Miceberg

Instead of a jacket or sweater, I bring a long sleeve t-shirt (lightest weight I can find) even in July. I've needed it when enjoying indoor attractions where the air conditioning is working extra well!!

Upvote 0

sunshine

Bring a lightweight jacket. Bring a small travel umbrella. I am surprised how many people are suggesting not to bring them!

I lived in Florida for years. In the summer it is often freezing INDOORS while hot outdoors. The A/C is cranked so high you are instantly freezing. Without a jacket I would be very unhappy. Yes, in July it is usually hot enough that you appreciate the A/C, but not always. And why risk sitting through a freezing meal when you can just bring a jacket.

The umbrella can be the difference between being comfortable immediately after a rainstorm, and having to wait to "dry out" after a rainstorm. The last trip I took, the members of our party who opted to just wear the disposable ponchos were totally drenched and never fully dried out in the humidity. Those of us who wore the ponchos and ALSO had a small umbrella were 90% dry (only our knees and below got wet). We could fit one adult and one child under each travel umbrella. It was worth it!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom