Take or Leave?

Brian R

I asked about the 3 week trip and I was thankful for all of the responses. Now, I have some questions about what to take or leave at home. In the other thread someone recommended at least 2 pairs of good walking shoes. We have that covered as well the kids have 2 pairs of flip flops, a sturdy, high quality pair and a flimsy dollar store pair for poolside.

First off, we are going in July so I know Florida will be HOT but will there be any time day or night where we might need a jacket, windbreaker or even a sweatshirt?

Someone (not on this forum) also recommended taking an umbrella because Florida has unpredictable rain in the summer and they can be used as heat shields.

I'm also considering whether or not to let the kids take some of their action figures that they always play with. Mostly wrestling guys and army men. I'm thinking during the times that we are in the hotel room they will want to play with these like they do at home. The kids also have some reading and activity books and electronics. I also thought about bringing connect 4 and some of those board games.

So toys, umbrellas and jackets do I take or leave for 3 weeks?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Umbrellas/ponchos yes as they usually have a brief afternoon shower daily in summer.
You will NOT NEED ANY KINd OF JACKET/windbreaker/sweatshirt etc in July!! Lol. Lows usually at night are still around 80 degrees and highs up to 100 degrees or higher. The real feel/heat index of the temps due to 100% humidity will feel like 110 degrees easily. There is never any cooler weather in July in the southern states enough to need any kind of jacket etc.
Toys that's all up to you and your kids. They will most likely buy some toys I'm sure or want to while your there so take that into consideration. :)

Upvote 0

Mukta

Yes, bring umbrellas. I use them for shade and in case of rain.

You do not need jackets/sweaters. The only place you might be cold is inside a building with air conditioning. In case of that, step outside into the sweltering heat for a minute or two and you'll be warm again.

I can't speak to toys because I would be in the parks from open to close everyday.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Umbrellas/ponchos yes as they usually have a brief afternoon shower daily in summer.
You will NOT NEED ANY KINd OF JACKET/windbreaker/sweatshirt etc in July!! Lol. Lows usually at night are still around 80 degrees and highs up to 100 degrees or higher. The real feel/heat index of the temps due to 100% humidity will feel like 110 degrees easily. There is never any cooler weather in July in the southern states enough to need any kind of jacket etc.
Toys that's all up to you and your kids. They will most likely buy some toys I'm sure or want to while your there so take that into consideration. :)
The thought of a jacket in July is kinda funny, but there is an exception. Because it is so hot/humid, just about everywhere cranks the air conditioner to full blast with the temp lowered to arctic zone or colder. My wife brings along a light sweater because more often than not we will go somewhere to eat or to a show or movie and she will wind up right under a vent. Now this is in the past as we have quit going in July...lessons learned.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
The thought of a jacket in July is kinda funny, but there is an exception. Because it is so hot/humid, just about everywhere cranks the air conditioner to full blast with the temp lowered to arctic zone or colder. My wife brings along a light sweater because more often than not we will go somewhere to eat or to a show or movie and she will wind up right under a vent. Now this is in the past as we have quit going in July...lessons learned.
Totally agree and I thought about that once I already posted. I live in the south and sometimes the restaurants etc are so cold because of the extremely hot outside temps I'm shivering in the middle of the summer! So that would be an instance where someone might need a light sweater etc. :)

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Totally agree and I thought about that once I already posted. I live in the south and sometimes the restaurants etc are so cold because of the extremely hot outside temps I'm shivering in the middle of the summer! So that would be an instance where someone might need a light sweater etc. :)
Yeah, we are in Georgia and she has to keep a sweater in the trunk of the car just in case. I often am sent back out to get it.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

As far as toys go, I'd let the kids pick a few to bring, but set a reasonable limit. You might want to bring a couple of games that any age can play (Uno, Phase10, etc) just in case, but I wouldn't go overboard on those either.

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

Spot on

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I asked about the 3 week trip and I was thankful for all of the responses. Now, I have some questions about what to take or leave at home. In the other thread someone recommended at least 2 pairs of good walking shoes. We have that covered as well the kids have 2 pairs of flip flops, a sturdy, high quality pair and a flimsy dollar store pair for poolside.

First off, we are going in July so I know Florida will be HOT but will there be any time day or night where we might need a jacket, windbreaker or even a sweatshirt?

Someone (not on this forum) also recommended taking an umbrella because Florida has unpredictable rain in the summer and they can be used as heat shields.

I'm also considering whether or not to let the kids take some of their action figures that they always play with. Mostly wrestling guys and army men. I'm thinking during the times that we are in the hotel room they will want to play with these like they do at home. The kids also have some reading and activity books and electronics. I also thought about bringing connect 4 and some of those board games.

So toys, umbrellas and jackets do I take or leave for 3 weeks?

I get each of my kids one new game for their DS and I don't give it to them until the plane takes off. That's 3 hours of entertainment for the flight right there. Sometimes they will play electronics in the room - but they usually play with toys we buy there. Activities for the room are especially helpful if you take a midday break during one of the daily July rainstorms and you can't go in the pool. Puzzle books - word searches and crosswords - are also nice for downtime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Go to your local dollar store and get glow sticks, Disney sells them when the sun starts to go down and the kids all seem to want them (WAY, WAY CHEAPER to bring them. Same for the ponchos get some cheap ones three per person is what we pack. As for shoes 2 pairs of walking shoes plus a pair of pool footwear, Finding a replacement will be difficult or expensive plus changing off seems to help some people. Bring chap stick with sunscreen!!!! Lips can burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

We let our daughter pack her own small carry on- coloring stuff, stickers, small princess toys, a stuffed animal, her kindle. She used it on the plane and we would pack one or two small things each day to entertain her while waiting in line. She also used stuff at night if we had some down time before bed. She was almost 4 so little books/toys were essential for waiting in line or waiting for a show to begin :)

Upvote 0

TXDisney

Shoes and sandals. No jackets, it'll be hot. I prefer a poncho when it rains and umbrella can be a pain to carry around all day. You can bring toys and all for the kids, but I'd keep them at the resort generally bc they could get lost easily inside the parks. With 3 weeks you'll need a decent amount of clothes, luckily it's summer so it's shorts and Tshirt weather.

Upvote 0

GrammieBee

Everyone should have some type of light color or white sun hat or ball cap. I know people don't think they need them, but they offer a lot of protection from the possibility of sun stroke. Umbrellas work, but they are a pain to use and carry around.

We always let our children pick their choice of a few small toys to take in their own carry on. We also packed a couple of small new toys or whatever else would be of interest to them to give out if the need arose. If you have the room, any Disney brand merchandise is cheaper if bought outside the parks ahead of time. The same with ponchos and glow sticks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

I don't like carrying an umbrella rather have hands free so I like to stuff a light rain jacket in my backpack if rain is expected. Always have a hat with me and if we are planning on eating at a TS usually bring a light sweater. And like someone else suggested two pair of walking shoes because you don't want to wear wet shoes the next day. With the toys don't forget the kids will probably want some kind of Disney souvenirs, don't need to over pack toys.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom