SW Celebration Orlando: Star Wars and the Disney Parks Panel

RSoxNo1

"You will be able to assist the Resitence, support the First Order, or take a job from a bounty hunter. The storytelling will happen around you."

Almost sounds like they are going to try to take streetmosphere actors to the next level.
The code name for the project was, Project Delos. Could they really be going for West World type interaction here?

DDLand

Key takeaways...

1) Story Engine. Story Engine is a technology protocol Imagineering has been playing with for several years. It's predicated on the notion that guests should have a direct impact on their experience. An Imagineer sitting in his/her office can only come up with so many different ideas, but letting guests create the story allows for infinite potential.

The technology works by communicating guest reactions/decisions to a computer that then deploys performers to certain areas for further Story development. For example, you might kick butt on the Millennium Falcon, in real time Story Engine would decide to alert a performer of your piloting and deploy them for a meet up. The performer could talk and send you on a mission, with Story Engine taking this all into account. Story Engine would then deploy another performer that would know about your piloting, take into account your last interaction, and know about your mission. All the way you're shaping the experience and building this world.

You can be good, bad, ambiguous. Story Engine will point you in the right direction.

It seemed like Story Engine wasn't ready for prime time, but they've apparently made break throughs. There will be nerds who will live in SWE and probably become totally known to Story Engine and the performers.

I do wonder if Story Engine will be intimidating to casual guests.

I've shared this before, but really watch this video:

That is Star Wars Experience. For super nerds this goes way way into depth; there's some great anecdotes:

Story Engine. The true third attraction in Star Wars Experience. Whether it works or not is the big gamble...

2) This land is the culmination of years of work. The Story Engine stuff are concepts they have been toying with for a very very long time. The performers doing Street stunt shows is another example. The Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom and Pirates game fit into this. This is like Scott's dream. Pushing boundaries in guest interactions and realism.

Shanghai's Pirate's Cove actually already has a street stunt show. The whole experience was pretty cool, so they're moving in a great direction.

3) Scott says we can impact our "fate" on the Battle Escape attraction. We can decide what happens! He also said this was the most epic attraction ever attempted by WDI. Whether that's true when taking into historical context is another thing, but this should be dazzling.

4) Bob Iger still has poor taste in his favorite attraction. There are more than 2 AT-ATs! Millennium Falcon is cool and all (apparently we can kind of wreck the ship!!!), but Battle Escape will blow our minds! We can choose our fate! Are we on the First Order's side or the Resistance? No one to tell us.

5) Could we actually get off mid ride in Battle Escape? With the way this thing is heading, it honestly doesn't sound as far fetched anymore.

6) This land does not fit in Disneyland Park. Eyes looking up at you when using a drinking fountain? What? Animal waste, funky meat concoctions, and jet fuel all wafting in the air.

This land's placement is horrendous... One time where Walt Disney World truly won out, Rivers of America and all.

7) This land will be a totally separate experience from their host parks. This will not be part of Disney's Hollywood Studios or Disneyland Park. While admission will cover entrance, these experiences will have a totally different approach on practically everything. They're not just physically separated from their host parks, but also philosophically and operationally too.

8) You can meet droids. That should be a bunch of fun!

9) We'll probably get more info at D23 and they're going to begin a regular series of articles sharing new details about the land on the DPB. They'll share behind the scenes info, characters, and stories. That will be far better than the months we go at a time without even a whisper from them.

10) The design philosophy is not to put you into someone else's story, but your own. Something totally new.

11) Scott broke the bad news... Despite our careful analysis, thought, and debate we were all totally wrong. We missed something that seemed obvious, but apparently is not the case...

The Alcatraz basement is not a swimming pool! ;)

Sorry guys, I was hoping for the Trash Compacter themed pool as much as anyone so that's a bummer. Of course knowing Florida that basement may become a pool anyway! :)

We all have a lot to look forward to! Disneyland fans, be warned. This is the most radical deperature from Disneyland since... No, this is the most radical departure from Disneyland.

There's probably some interesting social commentary that could be made about people's desire to add a gritty, ugly, violent place to a park that has always presented a more hopeful and idealized world.

1960s: It's like New Orleans, only cleaner.
2020s: Eyeballs in the drinking fountains and creatures in the pipes.

Times are a changing. Hopefully this land doesn't change what makes Disneyland, Disneyland.

Mike S

They will be sharing more info about the stories and characters of Star Wars Land at the D23 Expo in July.
AND I'LL BE THERE!!! :D
This I pretty much everything I have dreamed of from a Star Wars land for about 20 years now...this is going to take aspects from Potter, and Pandora and develop them to a level never seen before in a theme park.

Universals next move is going to be very interesting. And also Disneys, if this is their new benchmark, then anything that follows is going to have to shape up.
With Shigeru Miyamoto working closely with them on Nintendo I'm sure it'll be fantastic but they do have a big uphill battle ahead if they're opening after Star Wars.
Key takeaways...

1) Story Engine. Story Engine is a technology protocol Imagineering has been playing with for several years. It's predicated on the notion that guests should have a direct impact on their experience. An Imagineer sitting in his/her office can only come up with so many different ideas, but letting guests create the story allows for infinite potential.

The technology works by communicating guest reactions/decisions to a computer that then deploys performers to certain areas for further Story development. For example, you might kick butt on the Millennium Falcon, in real time Story Engine would decide to alert a performer of your piloting and deploy them for a meet up. The performer could talk and send you on a mission, with Story Engine taking this all into account. Story Engine would then deploy another performer that would know about your piloting, take into account your last interaction, and know about your mission. All the way you're shaping the experience and building this world.

You can be good, bad, ambiguous. Story Engine will point you in the right direction.

It seemed like Story Engine wasn't ready for prime time, but they've apparently made break throughs. There will be nerds who will live in SWE and probably become totally known to Story Engine and the performers.

I do wonder if Story Engine will be intimidating to casual guests.

I've shared this before, but really watch this video:

That is Star Wars Experience. For super nerds this goes way way into depth; there's some great anecdotes:

Story Engine. The true third attraction in Star Wars Experience. Whether it works or not is the big gamble...

2) This land is the culmination of years of work. The Story Engine stuff are concepts they have been toying with for a very very long time. The performers doing Street stunt shows is another example. The Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom and Pirates game fit into this. This is like Scott's dream. Pushing boundaries in guest interactions and realism.

Shanghai's Pirate's Cove actually already has a street stunt show. The whole experience was pretty cool, so they're moving in a great direction.

3) Scott says we can impact our "fate" on the Battle Escape attraction. We can decide what happens! He also said this was the most epic attraction ever attempted by WDI. Whether that's true when taking into historical context is another thing, but this should be dazzling.

4) Bob Iger still has poor taste in his favorite attraction. There are more than 2 AT-ATs! Millennium Falcon is cool and all (apparently we can kind of wreck the ship!!!), but Battle Escape will blow our minds! We can choose our fate! Are we on the First Order's side or the Resistance? No one to tell us.

5) Could we actually get off mid ride in Battle Escape? With the way this thing is heading, it honestly doesn't sound as far fetched anymore.

6) This land does not fit in Disneyland Park. Eyes looking up at you when using a drinking fountain? What? Animal waste, funky meat concoctions, and jet fuel all wafting in the air.

This land's placement is horrendous... One time where Walt Disney World truly won out, Rivers of America and all.

7) This land will be a totally separate experience from their host parks. This will not be part of Disney's Hollywood Studios or Disneyland Park. While admission will cover entrance, these experiences will have a totally different approach on practically everything. They're not just physically separated from their host parks, but also philosophically and operationally too.

8) You can meet droids. That should be a bunch of fun!

9) We'll probably get more info at D23 and they're going to begin a regular series of articles sharing new details about the land on the DPB. They'll share behind the scenes info, characters, and stories. That will be far better than the months we go at a time without even a whisper from them.

10) The design philosophy is not to put you into someone else's story, but your own. Something totally new.

11) Scott broke the bad news... Despite our careful analysis, thought, and debate we were all totally wrong. We missed something that seemed obvious, but apparently is not the case...

The Alcatraz basement is not a swimming pool! ;)

Sorry guys, I was hoping for the Trash Compacter themed pool as much as anyone so that's a bummer. Of course knowing Florida that basement may become a pool anyway! :)

We all have a lot to look forward to! Disneyland fans, be warned. This is the most radical deperature from Disneyland since... No, this is the most radical departure from Disneyland.

There's probably some interesting social commentary that could be made about people's desire to add a gritty, ugly, violent place to a park that has always presented a more hopeful and idealized world.

1960s: It's like New Orleans, only cleaner.
2020s: Eyeballs in the drinking fountains and creatures in the pipes.

Times are a changing. Hopefully this land doesn't change what makes Disneyland, Disneyland.

Be still, my beating heart.

DDLand

Be still, my beating heart.
This land is gonna blow our minds! They mentioned that Bob said he wanted "ambitious" when they were creating these worlds. They delivered in a profound way. These lands should be insane.

This is Imagineering when budget is no object and they can build what they want (well when they are following the IP inquisition). They'll build rides, but this Story Engine has serious potential, especially for locals...

Also I almost forgot, a real looking Lightsaber?!?! That patent is actually going to be deployed in the park it seems. Awesome!

I wonder if there will be a something similar to Potter's wand ceremony, but instead with Lightsaber. That means the force/Jedi will be present.

No doubt for an extra charge! ;)

Nintendo better be really really good. Disney is playing for keeps...

Edit: I don't want to be cheesy or anything, but after every New Hope comes a time for the Empire to Strike Back... Okay, a little cheesy!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I just wonder if the Lightsaber stuff is going to be exclusively for the cast members and stunt performers for when they have battles etc those sabers will be way more expensive than a Potter wand and do they really want hundreds of people wandering about waving them all over the place, Lighsabers are not exactly small.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
And one other thing to consider for Disneyland's SWL does this confirm they will be getting their own Magicbands come 2019 ? I can see how they would track things at WDW using the Magicband but DL has nothing like this at all.

Kman101

While I love the idea of "Story Engine" coming to life and choices following you, etc. how will they keep that up? A lot of guests may love the idea but not want to be "harassed" so to speak. I know it's all in good fun and the SW fans are going to eat it up but it should be interesting how it's handled in the long-term. Is WDW panicking yet at all of this they have to keep up with?

I really love the idea of the immersion of it all but I don't trust those running the parks to keep it up. I really hope they can and do. *crossing fingers* because the more I see about it the more excited I get. A lot of this sounds really cool. Anyone else notice the water fountains? There's a creature that pops up in the murky water on the wall ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
While I love the idea of "Story Engine" coming to life and choices following you, etc. how will they keep that up? A lot of guests may love the idea but not want to be "harassed" so to speak. I know it's all in good fun and the SW fans are going to eat it up but it should be interesting how it's handled in the long-term. Is WDW panicking yet at all of this they have to keep up with?

I really love the idea of the immersion of it all but I don't trust those running the parks to keep it up. I really hope they can and do. *crossing fingers* because the more I see about it the more excited I get. A lot of this sounds really cool. Anyone else notice the water fountains? There's a creature that pops up in the murky water on the wall ...

The other problem I see with the Story Engine idea is how many guests will actually be able to experience it? When the land is busy will it be practical to have that kind of personal interaction with every guest?

Kman101

The other problem I see with the Story Engine idea is how many guests will actually be able to experience it? When the land is busy will it be practical to have that kind of personal interaction with every guest?

Exactly. It's a great idea in theory. It could be as much as the magic band or light saber alerting someone at the ride entrance, who then say something, or when you go to eat, they say something, or when you buy something, they say something. I can't see someone dispatched to every guest. Just doesn't seem realistic.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And one other thing to consider for Disneyland's SWL does this confirm they will be getting their own Magicbands come 2019 ? I can see how they would track things at WDW using the Magicband but DL has nothing like this at all.

I could see them offering bands if you want an "enhanced experience" in DL's SWL but that wouldn't have any of the other Magicband functionality.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I love all of this and I hate to be that guy ... but do we think WDW can keep up the stunt actors and the roaming characters and droids? Sorry I know it's years away but that part concerns me. But I love all of it. I can't wait.

This is defiantly a concern to me. Entertainment seems to be a place that often get's cut and this land is going to rely on a lot of entertainment CM's.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This land looks incredible, but I also have my doubts about the streetmosphere's longevity. Also, what if a droid breaks down and Disney doesn't want to pay for the upkeep? I guess that it would fit the land to move the broken droid to some corner.

That will also work for when the Falcon ride breaks down, they will just say it's accurate to the source material. ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And my Mickey head emblazoned Magic Band wouldn't? Just make the tickets plastic with RFID and have them be referred to as passports.

You don't need to take any action for a magic band to be read, so a CM could walk up to you and know your story without you having to do anything. That cannot be done with the current park tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom