Studios search lights missing?

ABQ

Nifty. So these exist now? The first photo has 5 beams and the 2nd has 7 beams. Are the 2 outside beams in different locations them?

Look at the image of the roof of TGR building again. Only five are circled, but there are 7 lights up there. The 2 outside lights are farther out from the 5.
I'm pretty sure they are still there, that picture is when Big Hero 6 was advertised on the rear of the building, sometime late last year, I'm thinking.

fyi, your pictures are fantastic @janoimagine

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I'm pretty sure they are still there, that picture is when Big Hero 6 was advertised on the rear of the building, sometime late last year, I'm thinking.

Good eye with the movie billboard....I never would have figured out Big Hero 6 from the skewed angle of the pic. Let's hope its just a flick of a switch to get those lights searching again!

BrerJon

It's amazing how hard it is to find good footage of the spotlights, given how good they looked. I found this video (featuring a BAT blocking the view!), about 26:45 in the lights look great, but I don't know if they added any for Christmas or whether they always looked like that.

MGMBoy

I think they took them down and then put them back (which IMHO means they are almost assured to be on when the hat is gone). I was looking at Google Maps and it looked like the five in the back center (the ones ABQ circled) were gone but the two outside ones (which, I believe are the ones that used to track back and forth) are still there. Where the Big Hero 6 banner is in ABQ's picture is an ad for Maleficent so that says those critical five were gone while they were advertising Maleficent and back in place in time for Big Hero 6. I REALLY hope that is the case as those lights added so much to the park at night.

ToTBellHop

If strip clubs can have search lights, Disney can certainly get the Studios' lights back up if they want. And they should want to. With the expanded view of the Chinese Theatre and the soon-to-increase-in-prevalence firework shows, some lighting upgrades are in order.

Blairnicol

Looking at the first photo (with the correct/organic orientation and placement of the beams) it looks like the spots would be at ground level (or lower level...not much ground back there...) behind the theatre? If they were that far up on the roof the base of the beams would be closer together (a la the beams added or photoshopped into the last photo). Hard to tell without with a boat blocking it though, haha. Lovely pics. Are the beams in the second photo from DHS, just as seen from AK @janoimagine?

janoimagine

Looking at the first photo (with the correct/organic orientation and placement of the beams) it looks like the spots would be at ground level (or lower level...not much ground back there...) behind the theatre? If they were that far up on the roof the base of the beams would be closer together (a la the beams added or photoshopped into the last photo). Hard to tell without with a boat blocking it though, haha. Lovely pics. Are the beams in the second photo from DHS, just as seen from AK @janoimagine?
Yes.

PREMiERdrum

Behold. September 2007.

...and the advances in tech since then would make this effect far less expensive to install (with new instruments, if need be) and operate.

The importance of the kinesis these things add to Hollywood Blvd cannot be overstated. The Chinese Theater doesn't have the grandeur of scale of Cinderella Castle and Spaceship Earth, or the imposing call to explore you get from the Tree of Life. The Chinese Theater, in full effect, lets you know it's something different than the other parks. Something glitzy, something dynamic.... Goodness I hope they get this thing sorted out.

ABQ

Everyone is still giving TCM too much credit as to decisions that they have no purview over. Turner's deal adds their brand to the existing attraction, essentially as an overlay with some updates. It's nowhere near what people around here are ascribing it to.
I'm glad that it's apparently Disney finally doing something that most here would agree is the right thing to do, but what was their motivation for removing the hat, replacing the spires, etc... if not to please a new attraction sponsor? As we could see from the efforts it took to take the hat down, it probably could have stood another decade with no trouble. I mean, it's not like them to spend money on unnecessary things.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm glad that it's apparently Disney finally doing something that most here would agree is the right thing to do, but what was their motivation for removing the hat, replacing the spires, etc... if not to please a new attraction sponsor? As we could see from the efforts it took to take the hat down, it probably could have stood another decade with no trouble. I mean, it's not like them to spend money on unnecessary things.

Like attractions...

articos

If the Theater is front and center again and is the photo op at the end of the Blvd, it needs the spires to be complete. When the planning is done to remove the Hat, as part of that we look at the original pictures and compare to what it looks like today. Part of the project budget is specifically to restore the Theater facade to what it should look like, knowing there have been changes made while it was hiding behind the Hat. That's just normal procedure. We don't want to remove something and not look at how that affects the surrounding area and sightlines. As to why the Hat is leaving now, there are other things in the works, there was a budget allocated and it's time. The planning for all of this started months ago - you have to realize, Disney and Universal don't work on short timelines. When something happens, the plans have been in the works for months or years.

ABQ

If the Theater is front and center again and is the photo op at the end of the Blvd, it needs the spires to be complete. When the planning is done to remove the Hat, as part of that we look at the original pictures and compare to what it looks like today. Part of the project budget is specifically to restore the Theater facade to what it should look like, knowing there have been changes made while it was hiding behind the Hat. That's just normal procedure. We don't want to remove something and not look at how that affects the surrounding area and sightlines. As to why the Hat is leaving now, there are other things in the works, there was a budget allocated and it's time. The planning for all of this started months ago - you have to realize, Disney and Universal don't work on short timelines. When something happens, the plans have been in the works for months or years.
Thanks for the well detailed reply. One unrelated question. Just what the heck is that a photo of in your avatar? End of a railway line with a lamp post?

articos

Thanks for the well detailed reply. One unrelated question. Just what the heck is that a photo of in your avatar? End of a railway line with a lamp post?
You're welcome. Heh. Let's see if anyone else recognizes where and what it is before I answer. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom