Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

dstrawn9889

I'm wondering if they are stuck in contracts with the stunt drivers for LMA or something? I have no clue how any of that works, but there has to be a reason BLT closed with no work commencing but LMA is still open which only runs twice a day.
it has huge capacity in a park with not-so-much to do in a day

TomP

I still don't believe anything is going to happen in this space until I see construction walls go up around the area. But I have another question. Would it benefit Disney AT ALL to just shutdown the entire park for a while and make the entire park a construction zone while they overhaul the entire thing? I mean couldn't they do the entire renovation in much less time? Would it have a big impact on their bottom line if they just shutdown the whole park for a while?

I posted this link in a thread re: AK, but it seems appropriate here as well.
http://www.diggerlandusa.com/

wdwgreek

Nearly five months latter we are still looking at shuttered lot and not much else? Hey but the hat is gone so its a victory right? Any word on how long they'll leave this corner of the park shuttered? I would bet that the backlot tour and its facilities took up a fifth of the parks land, its a huge space of nothingness now.

FoozieBear

Apparently Iger has said that they are taking things slow with Star Wars because they are going to "be ambitious" about the project. o_O ?!?!?! Build the thing already!!

Backlot space probably isn't for Star Wars, seeing as it's on the complete other side of the park. Possibly Pixar related, but it frustrates me that Backlot is just sitting there dusting away. I'd rather they just sweep things up.

Unless they keep it and open up a Tribute to the Backlot Tour attraction five years down the line....

SithTRR

Backlot space probably isn't for Star Wars, seeing as it's on the complete other side of the park. Possibly Pixar related, but it frustrates me that Backlot is just sitting there dusting away. I'd rather they just sweep things up.

Unless they keep it and open up a Tribute to the Backlot Tour attraction five years down the line....

I agree, I cannot see SW going in this area. In other posts someone provided what the most likely attractions that are Pixar related that will go in this area. I have not been in the park since 9/2014, so has anyone looked at that area to see if there is anything going on, or walls going up? I also have heard from a source that The Legend of Jack Sparrow will close sometime in 2015.

FoozieBear

I agree, I cannot see SW going in this area. In other posts someone provided what the most likely attractions that are Pixar related that will go in this area. I have not been in the park since 9/2014, so has anyone looked at that area to see if there is anything going on, or walls going up? I also have heard from a source that The Legend of Jack Sparrow will close sometime in 2015.

Jack Sparrow has already closed for good. Seems like they did it pretty quietly because I hadn't noticed until I happen to be looking at the attraction list on the website the other day.

Cesar R M

I tought it was closed already?

Jack Sparrow has already closed for good. Seems like they did it pretty quietly because I hadn't noticed until I happen to be looking at the attraction list on the website the other day.

ohh doo, nevermind.

JWG

There's a lot of relocation that has to happen before they can develop the space in the Backlot. Costuming, etc. LMA can operate pretty much right until the bulldozers show up. That, and as has been mentioned, they need people eaters.

Magenta Panther

I think he means they are ambitiously planning out how to milk the cash cow on this.

I think he's waiting to see if there's going to be a cow to milk. Nothing's guaranteed. Now of course, I have little doubt that the new film starring the old SW gang will do big business, thanks to nostalgia at the very least, but as for the other films being planned...I think it's kinda iffy. People haven't forgotten those awful prequels. There's a feeling out there of anticipation, certainly, but also of dread. It'll be interesting to see what happens...

SithTRR

Yep, it closed back at the beginning of November.

Thank you for the confirmation. What is the thoughts on what will replace it. That is a very large area of space starting from the former Jack Sparrow going all the way down to BLT and then the space behind. Of course it will be a massive Pixar area, but last I have heard I only know of three attracations proposed to go there. One is the Hot Wheels like track ride, and a couple others, a spinner, and something else. I would have to look at my notes. I cannot believe that would need that much room. I know the SW e-ticket will be placed in HS but not in that area.

Matt_Black

I think he's waiting to see if there's going to be a cow to milk. Nothing's guaranteed. Now of course, I have little doubt that the new film starring the old SW gang will do big business, thanks to nostalgia at the very least, but as for the other films being planned...I think it's kinda iffy. People haven't forgotten those awful prequels. There's a feeling out there of anticipation, certainly, but also of dread. It'll be interesting to see what happens...

While that's a fair point, the talent behind the camera looks to be good. J.J. Abrams is a good choice for kicking the franchise off (I've heard him described as great with build-up, not so great with pay-off), and the director who did the critically acclaimed Looper is following him.

The main problem with the prequels is that George Lucas didn't have anyone around to tell him no or "Seriously, George, that idea is really, REALLY stupid." To use another franchise as an example, after Raiders of the Lost Ark, Last Crusade is THE best Indiana Jones film, and a lot of that is due to the relationship between Indy and his father. It was Spielberg who pushed for that.

SnarkyMonkey

Haven't they moved something about the new Cinderella movie into that space or are going to?

Kman101

I don't buy their argument they want to make sure the movie is successful. It's something that they can throw out there that 'makes sense' but it probably masks the fact that they just don't want to spend money when they 'don't have to'. A Star Wars Land will generate huge interest, regardless of a film. Even if no film was coming out the land would be popular and make money. Is it *guaranteed*. No, of course not, but there's no reward without risk. Of course, TDO believes the opposite and people paying what they do and still going proves to them they don't have to take risks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom