Star Wars Weekends returns to Disney's Hollywood Studios for 2015

Kman101

The walkaround characters in the hangar could very well be a test for a future Cantina-esque restaurant that has walk-around characters to add to the atmosphere. Maybe they're seeing how it would do.

I'm sure any future Star Wars restaurant with characters would be a "book sixteen years in advance"

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Exactly. We saw none of those characters there. There were some Jawas and Ezra and Sabine strolled through, but it is not character dining where they make sure to stop and interact with each table.

I beg to differ. I saw Guido, Chewie (we're BFFs now), Jawas, 2 Storm Troopers. One of the Jawas and I had to have a serious discussion about the attempted theft of my garlic fries.....

We had a blast this past weekend. And my daughter's fiancé lived...after patting a Storm Trooper on the butt at Sci-Fi. But he flashed his Vader lighsaber and they became instant buds. However, Boba and I had a bit of a glare fest when I flashed my Jedi saber.

We had a blast. Just wished it wasn't 100 degrees. Walking around with light saber and Jedi robe is fun, but heat stroke wasn't. And the CM at Star Tours asked us if we could "take down" the blade on our lightsabers. Honey, these aren't the cheap Disney toy lightsabers. The number of people who stopped and asked us where in Darth's Mall we bought them. We said "Amazon". And after the 50th question, I was seriously tempted to sell my Force FX Collectible Kit Fisto removable blade light saber to the next person asking where I got it. "Oh, you like this lightsaber? The blade is removable. I'll sell it to you for $$$$$" Would have paid for my trip, and then some. lol

asianway

I beg to differ. I saw Guido, Chewie (we're BFFs now), Jawas, 2 Storm Troopers. One of the Jawas and I had to have a serious discussion about the attempted theft of my garlic fries.....

We had a blast this past weekend. And my daughter's fiancé lived...after patting a Storm Trooper on the butt at Sci-Fi. But he flashed his Vader lighsaber and they became instant buds. However, Boba and I had a bit of a glare fest when I flashed my Jedi saber.

We had a blast. Just wished it wasn't 100 degrees. Walking around with light saber and Jedi robe is fun, but heat stroke wasn't. And the CM at Star Tours asked us if we could "take down" the blade on our lightsabers. Honey, these aren't the cheap Disney toy lightsabers. The number of people who stopped and asked us where in Darth's Mall we bought them. We said "Amazon". And after the 50th question, I was seriously tempted to sell my Force FX Collectible Kit Fisto removable blade light saber to the next person asking where I got it. "Oh, you like this lightsaber? The blade is removable. I'll sell it to you for $$$$$" Would have paid for my trip, and then some. lol
It is not traditional character dining-anyone who goes needs to not have an expectation of a table visit

LAKid53

Premium Member
It is not traditional character dining-anyone who goes needs to not have an expectation of a table visit

Gee, I was there LAST NIGHT for dinner. And every Star Wars character present - Chewie, Guido, Storm Trooper, Jawas, visited each table for pictures at the very least. Chewie came to mine twice. I got a blow kiss and hug from Guido. And several hugs from Chewie (and we did the secret Wookie handshake). Don't know what you mean by traditional character dining, but I've dined at almost every character dining in WDW and this was no difference. Actually, it was better. Nothing beats nearly slapping the thieving hand of a Jawa trying to take your garlic fries.

Fortunately for Disney, that R2D2 table decoration was firmly nailed to the table......

asianway

Gee, I was there LAST NIGHT for dinner. And every Star Wars character present - Chewie, Guido, Storm Trooper, Jawas, visited each table for pictures at the very least. Chewie came to mine twice. I got a blow kiss and hug from Guido. And several hugs from Chewie (and we did the secret Wookie handshake). Don't know what you mean by traditional character dining, but I've dined at almost every character dining in WDW and this was no difference. Actually, it was better. Nothing beats nearly slapping the thieving hand of a Jawa trying to take your garlic fries.

Fortunately for Disney, that R2D2 table decoration was firmly nailed to the table......
Happy for you...but that should not be the expectation

LAKid53

Premium Member
Greedo, not Guido. Be careful who you call guido in public lol.

OMG, thanks for catching that. I am the world's worst speller and typist. Plus I've just gotten back from one long, exhausting, hot, but fun weekend at WDW. And a long drive back in the rain. lol.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Happy for you...but that should not be the expectation

You know what, Asian, I'm not going to argue with you. All I will say is that me and every other diner at Rebel Hanger last night had AMAZING interactions with several SW characters. Without handlers. And they stayed at the table as long as the diners would interact with them. The only person maybe not so enthralled? The teenage girl at the table across from me who jumped out of her seat when a Storm Trooper crept up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder. Wished I'd gotten a photo. Priceless. She looked seriously frightened there for a second when she turned around and realized a Storm Trooper with a blaster tapped her on the shoulder.

Kudos to the 501st. They are awesome. And what an amazing show they made at the parade.

Now if only December 18th would get here quickly....

PhotoDave219

Yeah, I am firmly in favor of Star Wars weekends being when its cooler out.

WDF

Beg all you like. It is not marketed as character dining and each diner's experience may be different. Mine was very different than what you described. Perhaps things have been added.

Furiated

Beg all you like. It is not marketed as character dining and each diner's experience may be different. Mine was very different than what you described. Perhaps things have been added.

I think it also depends on time of day. I went this past Saturday night, somewhat close to fireworks time, and while I had a great meal there was only one lonely Jawa when I was seated, and he disappeared quickly and nobody else came out the rest of the time I was there. I think that is why people are saying that it's not traditional character dining and don't plan on anyone definitely being there.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other words it's like Quarks Bar in the lamented 'Star Trek Experience' where the characters are there for atmospherics - not that they will not interact with the guests rather they are there for the atmosphere and interactions are random.

I liked that vibe at Quark's you never knew WHO was coming out although the Klingons were the most fun especially if you asked them about the bloodwine being served, The Ferengi were always interested in discussing commerce with the Hew-mons.

tribbleorlfl

Got to meet Warwick Davis on Saturday. Autograph lines seemed to be moving swifter than last week As they were staging more people inside.

AP poster distribution is still a little frustrating. Saw them hand out extras to people for the rest of their party that was elsewhere. Saw people going in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Probably people got them on multiple days, as well. As a result, they've been running out each day 1-2ish. Honor system of one poster per passholder per weekend isn't working. Wish there just scan mb's or passes that way they'd know who received them already.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 71

PhotoDave219

In other words it's like Quarks Bar in the lamented 'Star Trek Experience' where the characters are there for atmospherics - not that they will not interact with the guests rather they are there for the atmosphere and interactions are random.

I liked that vibe at Quark's you never knew WHO was coming out although the Klingons were the most fun especially if you asked them about the bloodwine being served, The Ferengi were always interested in discussing commerce with the Hew-mons.

I had no idea you were a Trekkie.....

asianway

That is exactly the concept here

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom