Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

MKCP 1985

Ha, amazing! Everytime I see people on those canoes I question what made them sign up for such torture.
They are a chain gang of line jumpers and users of refillable mugs from prior trips who were caught and sentenced to a lap around the river. Walt Disney World used to offer such consequences of misbehavior until the Florida Supreme Court held the punishment was cruel and unusual. That's why the Davey Crockett canoes disappeared from the Florida park.

dweezil78

They are a chain gang of line jumpers and users of refillable mugs from prior trips who were caught and sentenced to a lap around the river. Walt Disney World used to offer such consequences of misbehavior until the Florida Supreme Court held the punishment was cruel and unusual. That's why the Davey Crockett canoes disappeared from the Florida park.

I want to believe.

mickEblu

Although most visitors probably wouldn't miss the canoes ( I've only been on them once about 13 years ago ) I think that it's these collections of unique experiences that make Disneyland special. If one by one we start losing all of these unique experiences Disneyland will be losing a lot of the magic that makes it Disneyland. Canoes today, Lincoln tomorrow, Tiki room next week.

I do understand though that with progress and change comes sacrifice. I suppose that if all we are losing are the canoes, a slightly (Slightly- remains to be seen) altered DLRR/ small portion of TSI for a brand new, state of the art land with two new E tickets then TDA Is doing their job right and walking that very fine line of evolution and preserving the classics/ nostalgia.

mickEblu

I wish we had the internet back in the day so we could revisit old threads where Disneyland fans voiced their displeasure and cursed the company over the removal of the Pack Mules, Wizard of Bras, and the Hall of Chemistry.

Lol I wrote something similar on MC a few weeks ago. I think the only difference is the attractions you mentioned weren't around long enough to create very much nostalgia. Except for maybe the mules. But there I think you have to consider the amount of space that was being used up for the experience they offered.

Then of course there's also the fact that one was a boring chemistry exhibit and one was a lingerie store.

Last edited:

TP2000

I guess we can always ride a stagecoach at Knotts.
or maybe not....

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/knott-659920-horses-animal.html

These are the exact same people and groups that have been protesting Sea World and their Shamu shows. And they just scored a huge win against Sea World at the California Coastal Commission last week, effectively shutting down Sea World San Diego within a few years.

It's no surprise these Leftist groups are now turning their attention to horses working in theme parks.

Even though Disneyland's horse ranch appears to be moving off property for Star Wars Land construction and Disneyland says the horses will continue to work at Disneyland... I will be very, very surprised if the horse-drawn streetcars still exist at Disneyland by 2020. They'll go after Knott's Berry Farm's stagecoach ride first because it's an easier target. But once they win the first horse battle, they'll turn to Disneyland very quickly.

D

Deleted member 107043

I wouldn't be so sure. Horses are domesticated animals, killer whales not so much. If these people are seeking to put an end to the use of working animals in California I say "good luck".

dweezil78

Although most visitors probably wouldn't miss the canoes ( I've only been on them once about 13 years ago ) I think that it's these collections of unique experiences that make Disneyland special. If one by one we start losing all of these unique experiences Disneyland will be losing a lot of the magic that makes it Disneyland. Canoes today, Lincoln tomorrow, Tiki room next week.

Despite my seemingly devil's advocate positioning in this thread or whatever you want to call it, I do appreciate and care deeply about the little things at Disneyland... but at the same time I'm also a realist and long ago decided in life that there's no use getting upset (at least not for too long) about things I have no control over. If something's going to happen, all I can do is hope for the best.

mickEblu

Despite my seemingly devil's advocate positioning in this thread or whatever you want to call it, I do appreciate and care deeply about the little things at Disneyland... but at the same time I'm also a realist and long ago decided in life that there's no use getting upset (at least not for too long) about things I have no control over. If something's going to happen, all I can do is hope for the best.

I agree with you , not everything has to be so black or white all the time. It's possible to lament the loss of classic attractions and be excited for the new ones at the same time. Considering what is being added to the park and what we may lose, I think TDA is doing a pretty good job. At the end of the day the only thing they've actually confirmed was a SLIGHT reroute of the DLRR. I don't even think they confirmed the TSI rumor did they? Although I believe that's happening anyway. What I was most worried about were the views of the ROA when looking North from NOS/ Critter Country and not being able to see the entire river loop. But after reading a few posts it seems that those sight lines will be preserved.

lazyboy97o

I wouldn't be so sure. Horses are domesticated animals, killer whales not so much. If these people are seeking to put an end to the use of working animals in California I say "good luck".
Bill DeBlasio made making horses work on coaches illegal a rather sizable part of his platform to be elected mayor of New York. Ending horse labor is a very real movement.

D

Deleted member 107043

Bill DeBlasio made making horses work on coaches illegal a rather sizable part of his platform to be elected mayor of New York. Ending horse labor is a very real movement.

Was he successful in ending the practice in NY?

GrizzlyAdams

So another map below... assumes going into Critter Country, but it could go straight back

Good news:
Expansion of park itself!
Walk around RoA which a lot of people would like

Bad news:
Too much Star Wars... and I love SW. Lopsides the park. I would be SO much happier if this expansion included expansion to Fantasyland and Critter Country, adding attractions and balancing things out. If they would only do that, I think there would be much less push back from DL fans...

disneyland star warsland.jpg

PrincessJenn5795

These are the exact same people and groups that have been protesting Sea World and their Shamu shows. And they just scored a huge win against Sea World at the California Coastal Commission last week, effectively shutting down Sea World San Diego within a few years.

It's no surprise these Leftist groups are now turning their attention to horses working in theme parks.

Even though Disneyland's horse ranch appears to be moving off property for Star Wars Land construction and Disneyland says the horses will continue to work at Disneyland... I will be very, very surprised if the horse-drawn streetcars still exist at Disneyland by 2020. They'll go after Knott's Berry Farm's stagecoach ride first because it's an easier target. But once they win the first horse battle, they'll turn to Disneyland very quickly.

I wouldn't be so sure. Disneyland has very strict rules regarding the working hours and conditions of the horses used in DL. In the case of Sea World, they have had many citations over the years for the inadequate size of their enclosures, which is detrimental to the health and well being of the whales and other animals, and for not properly training employees to safely work with the animals. Those citations were upheld in federal court, btw. As for the carriage horses in New York, they are often made to work for hours and hours without breaks and are often operating in unsafe condition through busy Manhatten traffic. Due to the efforts of advocacy groups, the conditions for the horses has improved a lot over the past several years. Knotts does not employ the same rules about their horses as Disneyland, and they have had horses collapse from exhaustion and suffer from dehydration from operating in hot weather for too long without a break. Disneyland is very conscientious about the care of their horses, and are very transparent about their operating conditions for their horses, and I think as long as they continue to be they will be safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom