Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

George Lucas on a Bench

CRxmh_EWIAAPk8_Y_jpg_large.jpg

MKCP 1985

Sorry to interrupt but I didn't see the answer posted anywhere and didn't want to scroll 875+ posts. Has the start date for the Star Wars updates inside Disneyland been announced?

TP2000

I noticed this weekend that a big backstage warehouse has now been torn down. Along Ball Road, directly southeast of the Ball Road/Disneyland Drive intersection, the warehouse that had been there for at least 20 years is now gone. Totally leveled.

D

Deleted member 107043

I noticed this weekend that a big backstage warehouse has now been torn down. Along Ball Road, directly southeast of the Ball Road/Disneyland Drive intersection, the warehouse that had been there for at least 20 years is now gone. Totally leveled.

How exciting. Now excuse me while I go into full Disneyland nerd mode...

Which building do you think it was? A, B, or C? I'm guessing B.

Capture.PNG

Old Mouseketeer

View attachment 116893

My rebel spies tell me that building "A" is the 200 building that has been gutted (I have seen this through the fence on Ball Road) not demolished. I believe it may be the new home of the Transportation Center/"motor pool" that is currently just inside Winston Gate.

I'm told that building "B" is the 100 building that was the Merchandise Warehouse and is being emptied to receive the Staff Shops from the West side next to Disneyland Drive.

Building "C" is the Parade Building, which I'm told isn't going anywhere.

My sources have talked to people who actually work in these locations (plus horticulture and Circle D Ranch). The exception is the Recycling Center--my information comes from a custodial sweeper in the park--not someone who works in Recycling (incidentally, I'm told it is relocating to behind Carsland).

But the 200 Building at the intersection of Ball and Disneyland Drive/West Street is being gutted--not demolished.

* Edited because I mistakenly called Building "B" the 200 building instead of the 100 building.

D

Deleted member 107043

Not demolished? Are you disputing TPs claim that it has been torn down?

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Mouseketeer

Not demolished? Are you disputing TPs claim that it has been torn down down?

I'll reach out to my rebel spies tomorrow--I'm sure at least one of them will park at Ball Lot or TDA. That building has been the most visible physical evidence of prep work for Star Wars land so far. As of Monday it was reported that the North wall, roof, and structural columns were intact, supporting the idea that the building was being gutted and repurposed--not demolished.

TP2000

View attachment 116893

Thank you. I wish I had map skills like that. It's building A.

And it's entirely possible that the frame and roof are still there as Old Mouseketeer thinks. I was viewing it while driving westbound on Ball Road in the dark. I noticed the new phenomenon of being able to see the headlamps on cars traveling northbound on Disneyland Drive at that Ball Road intersection and thought "Wow! That big building that used to be there is gone!". It's entirely possible that the tall frame of the building was still there, partially hidden by the pine trees along Ball Road there.

But the walls of that building, and everything that used to be inside, are definitely no longer there.

George Lucas on a Bench

I rode the Mark Twain and the Railroad six times in a row yesterday.

The wonderful thing about the Mark Twain and Rivers of America is how relaxing it is. It's the complete opposite of Disneyland otherwise these days. Sure, the static animal props could use some animation and there is certainly a discontinuity between the back portion of the river which will be altered/destroyed and the rest, but these are minor quibbles as far as I'm concerned. I'd forgotten there was an almost Spaceship Earth 2008-style animatronic in the Indian scene.

As for the Railroad, it is the essence of what makes Disneyland great. Now, I do have some issues with this one. Basically, I don't like when you go by the Fantasyland theater (which may be destroyed ironically) and the portion between "it's a small world" and the Tomorrowland station, which just looks like you're backstage.

Really going to miss these.

D

Deleted member 107043

The wonderful thing about the Mark Twain and Rivers of America is how relaxing it is. It's the complete opposite of Disneyland otherwise these days. Sure, the static animal props could use some animation and there is certainly a discontinuity between the back portion of the river which will be altered/destroyed and the rest, but these are minor quibbles as far as I'm concerned. I'd forgotten there was an almost Spaceship Earth 2008-style animatronic in the Indian scene.

As for the Railroad, it is the essence of what makes Disneyland great. Now, I do have some issues with this one. Basically, I don't like when you go by the Fantasyland theater (which may be destroyed ironically) and the portion between "it's a small world" and the Tomorrowland station, which just looks like you're backstage.

I'll probably get slammed for this, but one of my issues with the DLRR's "show" is that most of the scenery is designed to be viewed from the right side of the train, and over the years the vegetation has grown to the point where you basically don't see much along the route. The Adventureland segment in particular is really bad, and with a few exceptions the environments you experience never feel as immersive as they should. Having a portion of the track rerouted through the park, with Frontierland on one side and Star Wars on the other side gives the Imagineers an interesting opportunity to provide some much needed visual interest to this attraction.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Having a portion of the track rerouted through the park, which Frontierland on one side and Star Wars on the other side gives the Imagineers an interesting opportunity to provide some much needed visual interest to this attraction.

Agreed. The railroad at Tokyo Disneyland runs this way, with lots to see on both sides of the tracks. Anaheim's version has needed a lot of help for 20 years.

What dedication! You didn't doze off, even just once?

This corrugated metal tunnel and overgrown vegetation does nothing for you?
DSC03279.JPG

The potential here for Anaheim to plus up the rather lifeless northern leg of the tracks, plus fix the drab and cheap and unthemed 1960's corrugated metal tunnel you go through between Critter Country and Toontown, is huge. It's funny the things Walt let them cheap out on in the 1960's, even after his park was wildly successful and his company was raking in huge amounts of money. That corrugated metal tunnel installed on Walt's railroad in 1965 is a great example.

Star Wars Land could be the best thing to happen to the Disneyland Railroad since the dinosaurs arrived in '66!

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Let's try and do Mark Twain, the Columbia, the Railroad, and the Canoes the next time we go. We can get our last fix before all hell breaks loose and the BS starts.

D

Deleted member 107043

What the heck is that white picket fence all about? I don't think I've ever noticed it. Is Toontown on the other side?

flynnibus

Premium Member

I certainly like the dlrr loop a heck of a lot more than the dlr monorail loop minus the segment over the lagoon. I can understand why the dlr old timers miss the people mover so much and makes me angry over what they've done to the mk people mover over time.

For the dlrr... What is ironic is it wouldn't take much to plus it's surroundings... Much like the roa... They spend millions to keep the vehicles up and running... Despite probably all metrics... Yet they would do minor show upgrades. Very conflicted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom