Star Wars not so popular or changes already being made?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm sorry but what are you guys on? The movie sales, the toy sales, the merchandise sales.. Have you seen any of the numbers? They have shattered every record in existence. Including Harry Potter.

Have you been to an elementary school lately? You will see a sea of Star Wars back packs..attached to that back pack is a SW lunch box. Inside the back place is Star Wars folders and notebooks.

Have you been to a home that has a boy under age 10? I challenge you to NOT find at least one light saber. Or at least one item of SW themed clothing.

Did you see the streets last Halloween? The Force Awakens wasn't even out yet and there was scores of SW costumes..I think there will be more this year.

I mean it's one thing not to like something, but can we stay in reality?? There is no way that Disney could be second guessing the presence of Star Wars in their parks.

You clearly understand NOTHING about business,

Those toy sales - That's pure cash as OTHER companies put up the money to produce and market them Disney gets their cut whether the toys sell or not and THAT is what Wall St LIKES.

Wall Street DOES NOT LIKE businesses that require capital expenditure like theme parks or manufacturing. Why is Facebook worth 132/Share when Cisco which actually BUILDS the equipment which the Internet runs on is only worth $30/Share. Without Cisco and companies like it THERE IS NO INTERNET and by extension no Facebook.

The reason of course is Cisco requires massive capital expenditure with no guarantee of a return, Facebook just collects cash and routes it to Wall St it's not an expensive company to run as it has virtually no capital requirements.

So if Wall St says hey that 3.5 billion you guys want to spend on SWL in Orlando, We decided we don't like the idea well Disney is gonna snap a salute and say Yes Sir, What do you want us to do with that cash Sir?.

21stamps

Those toy sales - That's pure cash as OTHER companies put up the money to produce and market them Disney gets their cut whether the toys sell or not and THAT is what Wall St LIKES.

Wall Street DOES NOT LIKE businesses that require capital expenditure like theme parks or manufacturing. Why is Facebook worth 132/Share when Cisco which actually BUILDS the equipment which the Internet runs on is only worth $30/Share. Without Cisco and companies like it THERE IS NO INTERNET and by extension no Facebook.

The reason of course is Cisco requires massive capital expenditure with no guarantee of a return, Facebook just collects cash and routes it to Wall St it's not an expensive company to run as it has virtually no capital requirements.

So if Wall St says hey that 3.5 billion you guys want to spend on SWL in Orlando, We decided we don't like the idea well Disney is gonna snap a salute and say Yes Sir, What do you want us to do with that cash Sir?.
Ok. I retract my statement. Star Wars and all of it's movie revenue, sales revenue, and blatant fan obsession was a total flop.

Disney should put it on hold in Orlando. They should also cancel the tv series. The market isn't there yet. There is no way that people will pay to see it.

Oddly enough, it's the #1 reason we are going to the parks this year. I guess my family is the minority.

P.S. Spending money to make even more money is a pretty basic business move.

jakeman

Capital expenditure for Facebook in FY 2014 was $1.8 billion. Captial expenditure for Cisco in FY 2014 was $1.275 billion.

I'm not a business person but I think 1.8 billion is a bigger number than 1.275 billion.

Brayn

I think that Star wars wont be so popular. Lucas is no longer on the movie, so that's another story. I think, to make a new series of this film is a big mistake. However, everyone wants money and people will come for the new movies, but others, not real fans.

LukeS7

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that you know anything about business. With many properties targeted towards children, toy sales can play a huge part in how a property is handled. When it comes to Star Wars, merchandise sales (regardless of whether or not Disney gets the money upfront) are huge, and when considering the possibility of creating an entire theme park section, I'm sure that the amount of merchandise that they would be able to move as a result played a large part in the discussions. Star Wars is a property that isn't going away any time soon and is something that they deemed worth billions of dollars. I don't see any fatigue happening any time soon.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
That manager might be better informed that the 'Star Wars' obsessed realize, Wall St may be pushing back on doing Star Wars in BOTH parks and saying 'Let's see how successful the Anaheim SWL is' before we greenlight one for Orlando, Plus China wants expansion and well money is fungible there is no 'lock' on that money being used for Orlando SWL if Wall St tells Iger it wants it spent elsewhere. This of course will create a self-fulfilling prophecy for attendance as attendance will drop at the construction wall park and Wall St will take that as proof that Star Wars land would have been a bad investment in Orlando.

Please Iger sell WDW to OLC and do it SOON!
You are really smoking the good stuff this morning all over the place. ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Capital expenditure for Facebook in FY 2014 was $1.8 billion. Captial expenditure for Cisco in FY 2014 was $1.275 billion.

I'm not a business person but I think 1.8 billion is a bigger number than 1.275 billion.

Since you are not a business person, I can't take your word on this. Maybe 1.275 is more then 1.8 in business. Or maybe Facebook is a big fat liar and is funneling cash into the pockets of the WALL STREET ELITE and calling it CapEx. That happens you know.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Ok. I retract my statement. Star Wars and all of it's movie revenue, sales revenue, and blatant fan obsession was a total flop.

Disney should put it on hold in Orlando. They should also cancel the tv series. The market isn't there yet. There is no way that people will pay to see it.

Oddly enough, it's the #1 reason we are going to the parks this year. I guess my family is the minority.

P.S. Spending money to make even more money is a pretty basic business move.
crazy.jpg

21stamps

I think that Star wars wont be so popular. Lucas is no longer on the movie, so that's another story. I think, to make a new series of this film is a big mistake. However, everyone wants money and people will come for the new movies, but others, not real fans.
Here's what is so confusing to me.. (I'm confused a lot on this site though)

You think it's a mistake, right? The numbers and profit and general Star Wars mania disagree with you.

I'm on the younger end of Gen X.. My generation was raised during the Star Wars era, some have remained life long fans.
Do you think it's a coincidence that the series was given new life at a time when all of us have young children? I don't. It was a brilliant business move. This isn't Frozen or any other movie and merchandise that has a specific age range as it's base. There are plenty, and I mean plenty, of adult SW fans...who are now thrilled to share that universe with their kids. Different generations sharing in a passion. If you experienced any of the Christmas shopping frenzy last year you might understand. Read the reviews on most of the toys-- it's adults reviewing them, which drives me nuts!!! I was fighting grown men to obtain Star Wars toys last year. SW fans span from kindergarten thru people in their 40s, and beyond.

If that is not the formula for success then I don't know what is.

Last edited:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
How come only @husbandunit is with princess Kylo ? ;)
'Cause I was scared. I hid behind my Chewie-sized Hubby while Kylo kept circling trying to confront me.
It was jolly good fun. Such fun, that we actually went twice!

In our PhotoPass pics, all you can see of me are my four fingers clutching Hubby's arm. :hilarious:

IMG_9410.PNG
I'm even more terrified of Vader. Phasma and the Storm Troopers, not so much.

IMG_9430.JPG

21stamps

'Cause I was scared. I hid behind my Chewie-sized Hubby while Kylo kept circling trying to confront me.
It was jolly good fun. Such fun, that we actually went twice!

In our PhotoPass pics, all you can see of me are my four fingers clutching Hubby's arm. :hilarious:

View attachment 171186 I'm even more terrified of Vader. Phasma and the Storm Troopers, not so much.

View attachment 171185
That march certainly does look like a huge flop with the crowds.

Meanwhile...I'm so excited to see it!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom