Star Wars Launch Bay coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios later this year

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If anyone doesn't realize that this is a temporary (Cheap) placeholder until SWL is actually built is Simply delusional.

No we are afraid that the quality shown here is what the land itself will be like, How much would a real operating Cantina have cost say 5 million at most even with WDI's inflated costs. That would have been a downpayment on SWL instead we get the steaming pile that is the 'Launch Bay'.

A 'real' Cantina would have been a license to print money.

Kman101

I meant with the cantina that this could have been done better to showcase what they want to accomplish with the new land. It's nothing but a photo op. And that's fine; I had no illusions this would be more than an exhibit and it's a decent place holder to fill a Star Wars need. But they could have made it more. It serves it's purpose.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Did they start putting this together in August or September? I can't remember. Not the announcement but the actual work.

rioriz

30342259.jpg

No we are afraid that the quality shown here is what the land itself will be like, How much would a real operating Cantina have cost say 5 million at most even with WDI's inflated costs. That would have been a downpayment on SWL instead we get the steaming pile that is the 'Launch Bay'.

A 'real' Cantina would have been a license to print money.
You have shown yourself as a pessimist at all cost in these forums and so nothing less is expected. However, your reaching on the relation between Launch Bay and the Star Wars Awesomeness Expansion to come is reaching so far Mr. Fantastic can't even get to it...you tried though...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
30342259.jpg

You have shown yourself as a pessimist at all cost in these forums and so nothing less is expected. However, your reaching on the relation between Launch Bay and the Star Wars Awesomeness Expansion to come is reaching so far Mr. Fantastic can't even get to it...you tried though...

You overestimate my estimate of the fullness of the glass, When TWDC is involved the glass is 9/10'ths empty and there's nothing in the bottle but fumes.

dizda

So, is this as underwhelming in person as it appears in photos? I thought the concept art was a little weak, but this is just sad if the Launch Bay does not look a 100% better in person. I know this is temporary and a rush job, but with Disney's resources, I expected more.

note2001

So, is this as underwhelming in person as it appears in photos? I thought the concept art was a little weak, but this is just sad if the Launch Bay does not look a 100% better in person. I know this is temporary and a rush job, but with Disney's resources, I expected more.
Unfortunately this is exactly what I expected. I hope with sounds, smells and lighting it feels a bit more immersive in person, although I'm not sure I really want to smell the soldering of wires, fumes from the various crafts, and the sensory mangling stench of a wookie o_O

BrerJon

For one, I was expecting something remotely similar to the concept art. I know concept art is idealized, but c'mon.

Disney concept art *never* looks like the final product. The only thing I can think of that does was Carsland. For most projects you have to look at the concept art and imagine something half as good, and that's what you'll get in reality.

Jeff456

I found myself so disappointed looking through these photos, I kept thinking to myself, "I'm sure the next one will look better and be well themed," but sadly that photo never came!
I'm sure it doesn't represent the quality of the end product though, im looking forward to that!

MJ6987

So many overreactions for a temporary exhibit....
This is a silly way of thinking about it. Most guests only visit WDW infrequently - they won't be saying to their Star Wars mad kids "don't worry darling this is merely a temporary placeholder for the really cool stuff they've got coming" they will just assume this is the stuff they vaguely remember reading about and not bother returning again. It doesn't look good on Disney to the casual / first time (last time?) guest.

"Mom, can we go back to that other park? The one with Harry Potter? This one sucks!"

PhotoDave219

This is a silly way of thinking about it. Most guests only visit WDW infrequently - they won't be saying to their Star Wars mad kids "don't worry darling this is merely a temporary placeholder for the really cool stuff they've got coming" they will just assume this is the stuff they vaguely remember reading about and not bother returning again. It doesn't look good on Disney to the casual / first time (last time?) guest.

"Mom, can we go back to that other park? The one with Harry Potter? This one sucks!"

Six posts? Sounds like you're just trolling for attention…

AmUK

Iger's thinking 'what if i just left it like this. Imagine the profit'.
220px-BobIgerHWOFJune2013.jpg

It might have been better had they not bothered.

This is just woeful. Going to annoy a fair few people.

PhotoDave219

What exactly were some of you people expecting?

For the amount of money and the amount of time they had, it's well done. For the nature of what they're doing, it's well done.

Were you people seriously expecting a fully armed and operational battle station in only three months?

Star Wars land will not open until 2019/2020. This is something for the here and now… And is infinitely better than what the frozen crowd got.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

That last sentence sums it up exactly right, Disney is ASSUMING 'The Guests will ALWAYS come' keep serving up crap like the Launch Bay and they eventually will STOP coming.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What exactly were some of you people expecting?

For the amount of money and the amount of time they had, it's well done. For the nature of what they're doing, it's well done.

Were you people seriously expecting a fully armed and operational battle station in only three months?

Star Wars land will not open until 2019/2020. This is something for the here and now… And is infinitely better than what the frozen crowd got.

I think you are a few years early on SWL, Was it not 2022-3 for the 'fully realized' product. TSPL was the 2019 one for 2019 I thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom