1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Land Construction Progress / Specifics

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by BrianLo, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SuddenStorm

SuddenStorm Well-Known Member

Are these AT-AT's going inside the ride building? If so, hopefully they can do some kind of forced perspective to make them look full sized.

2. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member Original Poster

Yes and yes. They are pretty huge set pieces, when you are staring up at them I don't think small will cross most people's minds.

3. sirstude

sirstude New Member

Interesting, the Disney video showed the ceiling much above the AT AT, but the latest picture showed them putting roof beams right above the AT ATs.

Mike S and FerretAfros like this.
  4. FerretAfros

FerretAfros Well-Known Member

In my professional life, I'm more on the civil/transit side, but my education background is almost entirely structural engineering, taught within the framework of California's seismic requirements. I'm even sitting about 6' from a real live structural engineer at this very moment!

That said, I agree with everything @flynnibus has said: the legs should be steel to deal with the tall unbraced load (essentially creating a moment frame out of the 4 legs/columns), but there's really no clear reason that the body/head structures should be so solidly built. It would be fine to construct it out of wood or smaller steel members, and this would help reduce the loads that need to be supported so high up in the air.

From the joints and connections we've seen in construction photos and videos, these look like they will be entirely stationary (which is in line with Disney's policy of removing overhead moving set pieces, following DLP's Big Thunder incident), meaning they could essentially be made from paper mache and would be just fine. If there's no live load being applied to them from movement, and minimal dead loads from the structure itself, the structure can be surprisingly lightweight. it's a small world used this very approach for a fast & cheap build before the World's Fair, but those set pieces and props are doing fine 50+ years later.

The only potential logic I can think of is that WDI has been under fire recently for having too much overhead cost. By over-designing elements of projects with massive budgets like this, it helps them hide their high costs as being relatively smaller in comparison to the construction cost, even if that construction is unnecessary. When vertical construction began, I commented that the cross-bracing was massive for a warehouse-type building, which would seem to follow the general idea of this whole thing being incredibly over-designed (for whatever reason). Obviously I'm not running any calculations, nor have I even seen the structure in person, but from my position there seems to be something going on that we don't know about

EDIT: I know that "value engineering" gets a (mistakenly) bad reputation around these parts as being an excuse to cut show elements, but that's typically something that comes in the budgeting phase of a project. In fact, this is a perfect example of where value engineering could and should be applied, reducing the construction costs and structural loads, while still providing the exact same end product to guests, which in turn frees up more money to be spent elsewhere. It really makes me wonder what's going on with this project...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

A good something or a bad something?

6. 180º

180º Well-Known Member

An expensive something! ;)

7. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Well, at least during an earthquake (or nuclear blast), the safest place at Disneyland would be star wars land. Just stay away from the Matterhorn or the People Mover tracks.

8. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

I agree.. which is why the build stood out so much to me in the photos.

While I'm not a P.E., there was good reason all us engineers took the same core curriculum for two years plus other electives in other engineering disciplines.. plus our own speciality :) My engineering electives were in thermodynamics and nuclear engineering rather than material science.. but statics and dynamics still apply :)

Now a days.. cheats like 'computer engineering' have really cut back on those core engineering credits students used to take across the board. Chemistry, more physics, etc.

Mike S, FerretAfros and phruby like this.
  9. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Wow! This computer science geek has a huge new respect for you. Those must have been some incredible classes to take.

10. Earl Sweatpants

Earl Sweatpants Well-Known Member

Here's just a few new snaps courtesy of MC's SWL Update.

Covering the channel that linked the basement to the circle pit.
    [​IMG]

More channeling(?) coming out from the Circle Pit.
    [​IMG]

11. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

The irony is.. Nuclear Engineering was one of the easiest classes. You write out this huge (fills the board all the way across the room) equation.. then because of orders of magnitude, you basically drop all but like 2 components. It was hysterical when the professor first started doing. Like 10mins of writing.. and he goes 'and this is like 10 to the 10th, so this so one will never matter... nor this one.. this one goes to zero.. ' etc etc and then you are left with this crazy simple equation that is like basic differentials.. not even advanced calc. Our school did have a research nuclear reactor tho.. that's pretty cool. Thermodynamics can be summed up as "a series of equations that feed into each other that takes 30mins to get to the one variable you need" :greedy: Literally, exams would be 2 or 3 problems.. that took you the whole period to solve. Easy math... but easy to screw up because there are so many steps.

Electromagnetic Theory is the most brutal for EEs IMO. Anyone who does true design for transmitted power over EM, true antenna design, etc.. those are the people that I can't process :)

Then I took a career that doesn't require me to do any of the real heavy math anymore.. just know enough to say 'you might want to double check that' :D

12. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

That was an outstanding update. A lot has been accomplished over the past week. The ridge along the northern edge of the ROA above the new rock work has almost been completely filled in with trees.

13. Earl Sweatpants

Earl Sweatpants Well-Known Member

Is this (the concrete slabs) just formations for more rock work or something else?
    [​IMG]

phruby and DarthFiscus75 like this.
  14. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Judging by the protruding metal bars I'm guessing more rock work. Looks like it might be for the Native American village.

[​IMG]

15. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

I'm proud of you, Hans.

16. The Mur

The Mur Member

Ah, you may be right.
    The compression from long lens gives a distorted sense of how things relate in spacing.

17. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

This may be the first time I'm able to understand what I'm looking at besides the trees being added to ROA!

Which is probably why I'm going to end up being wrong. Watch it end up being some kind of fancy churro cart or something. :hilarious:

18. SSG

SSG Well-Known Member

The new MiceChat update also shows a new cabin going up on TSI.

cabin.jpg

DisneyIrishGuy likes this.
  19. Figments Friend

Figments Friend Well-Known Member

OOoo....oooo.....it's a new 'burning cabin'...!
    :geek:

( well...probably not...but...let me geek out anyway )

-

PorterRedkey, Mike S and Vinmann like this.
  20. Evan-500

Evan-500 Well-Known Member

Im very interested to see how the rock work and train look with all these giant trees behind them.