News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
I saw that in one of the videos posted earlier and wondered what it's for. There'll be a passage nearby so could it be for theming purposes to hide the backside of Pooh?

Right, the second layer of berm needed for the land beyond the berm. The two show buildings mostly have it covered, but that section also needs to be walled off from Mickey and Friends.

Still TBD if it's going to be a plant berm or rock work.

Curious Constance

Yeah, and from that angle it's difficult to tell if what we're calling the Native American Village on the right is in front of the bridge, aligned with it, or behind it. I guess if you consider that the bridge marks the Frontierland entrance to SW Land it would be reasonable to assume that those forms are along the ROA shoreline as it bends southward and the DRR continues heading east over the bridge towards Fantasyland.

YRV0V.gif

The Mur

If you got to the recent NearMe aerial photo on the MiceAge update from Friday you can see clearly that the train will pass on the parking structure side of that mound which I do think is related to the Indian village. Again the compression from the telephoto lens is distorting the perspective a bit.

Old Mouseketeer

. . .
Also, at the 6:00 mark we get really good shots of the Indian Village. Am I wrong in thinking the "room" being built into the rockwork might be for the re-staged scene where the Indian Shaman tells his stories to the tribe? Or as the guys who guide the Canoes tell you, he's telling "The story of how the churro came to his people".
. . .

Then there's the old story that the Shaman is actually a repurposed previous version Mr. Lincoln (because he's squatting). One legendary Mark Twain pilot (since moved on) "explained" that his translated words were "The world has never had a good definition of the word 'liberty'...."

Old Mouseketeer

I assume you are talking about this trestle?

View attachment 194701

Actually, I don't think the train route is any higher than it was before--there's just a more compressed landscape between the tracks and the river. And I believe the large concrete pile with toothpicks on the right is actually the rocks just North of the new Indian Village. The telephoto lens makes it look like it is directly in front of the path of the train instead of some distance away..."just around the river bend", if you will. And even if you won't. LOL

Andrew M

In my professional life, I'm more on the civil/transit side, but my education background is almost entirely structural engineering, taught within the framework of California's seismic requirements. I'm even sitting about 6' from a real live structural engineer at this very moment!

That said, I agree with everything @flynnibus has said: the legs should be steel to deal with the tall unbraced load (essentially creating a moment frame out of the 4 legs/columns), but there's really no clear reason that the body/head structures should be so solidly built. It would be fine to construct it out of wood or smaller steel members, and this would help reduce the loads that need to be supported so high up in the air.

From the joints and connections we've seen in construction photos and videos, these look like they will be entirely stationary (which is in line with Disney's policy of removing overhead moving set pieces, following DLP's Big Thunder incident), meaning they could essentially be made from paper mache and would be just fine. If there's no live load being applied to them from movement, and minimal dead loads from the structure itself, the structure can be surprisingly lightweight. it's a small world used this very approach for a fast & cheap build before the World's Fair, but those set pieces and props are doing fine 50+ years later.

The only potential logic I can think of is that WDI has been under fire recently for having too much overhead cost. By over-designing elements of projects with massive budgets like this, it helps them hide their high costs as being relatively smaller in comparison to the construction cost, even if that construction is unnecessary. When vertical construction began, I commented that the cross-bracing was massive for a warehouse-type building, which would seem to follow the general idea of this whole thing being incredibly over-designed (for whatever reason). Obviously I'm not running any calculations, nor have I even seen the structure in person, but from my position there seems to be something going on that we don't know about

EDIT: I know that "value engineering" gets a (mistakenly) bad reputation around these parts as being an excuse to cut show elements, but that's typically something that comes in the budgeting phase of a project. In fact, this is a perfect example of where value engineering could and should be applied, reducing the construction costs and structural loads, while still providing the exact same end product to guests, which in turn frees up more money to be spent elsewhere. It really makes me wonder what's going on with this project...

Sorry if I missed the answer to this since I've skipped a couple pages here and there, but are we 100% sure that's structural steel being used on the body of the AT-ATs? They could be some sort of Aluminum or even Fiberglass structural shapes that give the appearance of steel with a fraction of the weight.

Phroobar

Sorry if I missed the answer to this since I've skipped a couple pages here and there, but are we 100% sure that's structural steel being used on the body of the AT-ATs? They could be some sort of Aluminum or even Fiberglass structural shapes that give the appearance of steel with a fraction of the weight.
I don't think anyone has confirmed the type of material being used. It's mostly just people talking out of their

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member

Mainly because from our perspective we can see.. it's one size all the way around. So it looks to be uniform in material.. which pretty much eliminates fiberglass.. and aluminum might be viable, but at what cost to make huge drawn beams like that? And still doesn't explain why not using more conventional dimensional stuff like tubes. From photos the pieces look to be like 8"-10" tall.. that's pretty damn big for superficial body shaping. And why it stood out so much.

One might see it being stamped metal pieces...(like you see in commercial walls, or cheaper assembled sheet metal, etc) that would explain the size of the pieces.. but that couldn't be the big weight bearing pieces and the lack of distinction between the different areas works against that theory too. But it could just all be primed/coated in a way we can't see the differences from here.

180º

I agree with what has been said about the strangeness of the AT AT construction so far, but I'll play devil's advocate here for a second. I wonder if perhaps there will be an animatronic or other sort of prop mounted to or suspended from the AT ATs? Or maybe they will house equipment that will need to be serviced by mechanics? Point being, they may function as structural platforms and not just props.

Also, lest we forget, this may not be the most over-engineered thing in Disney history. The American Adventure is an example of extremely cautious engineering, with the deepest reaching foundations in Walt Disney World. And don't forget what under-engineering can lead to.

yeti.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree with what has been said about the strangeness of the AT AT construction so far, but I'll play devil's advocate here for a second. I wonder if perhaps there will be an animatronic or other sort of prop mounted to or suspended from the AT ATs? Or maybe they will house equipment that will need to be serviced by mechanics? Point being, they may function as structural platforms and not just props.

Also, lest we forget, this may not be the most over-engineered thing in Disney history. The American Adventure is an example of extremely cautious engineering, with the deepest reaching foundations in Walt Disney World. And don't forget what under-engineering can lead to.

yeti.jpg

So, I guess the intention for overbuilding is because the AT-ATs will be hanging from the ceiling and shooting at us.

britain

It's possible that the heads are interior supports for larger head 'shells' that will move side to side around the inner structure

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom