News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Practical Pig

I didn't need to.. as that's what I was referring too all along with the '10ft box' comment.. which should have been pretty obvious to everyone -- As the rest of the figure, being inside a multi-story building, clearly is nothing like 10ft. (but you assumed stupidity.. instead of actually looking at the subject at hand)

Actually it wouldn't - that would be the neck.. which again doesn't justify making the head out of 1ft beams. In fact, it goes against making the thing out big heavy ibeams, as that further increases the loads the head needs to support vs using lighter materials that offer the same rigidity and support needed. So that's not the reason.

And these elevator comments... why would they set these things upright and attach the suspended loads.. AND THEN MOVE them somewhere else? Doesn't make any sense.

Only when the park is closed? LOL.. you don't build things to fail or not based on closing the park. The thing is built to sustain hurricane force winds.. and is a giant sail with only foundations to support itself. And for size.. the DHS one is over 35ft tall. And if you do some basic rough measuring of the image we have here.. the ones inside are roughly 45' tall.

:rolleyes:
Annnd ... blocked.

To others, blocking is not a practice I take lightly, and I've not seen need to block anyone else. But I find nothing more pointless or tedious than a p*ssing contest with someone so juvenile and aggressively offensive. I regret having added that first little three word light-hearted comment that escalated into this. I fully expect he will respond to this with more childish mockery, and I apologize to everyone else that you'll be the ones reading it instead of me.

mickEblu

Kinda like how most people ignore The Nemo Subs and Autopia as part of Tomorrowland.

Ya kind of. The difference is Autopia / Subs are pretty visible eventhough we may not feel like they re part of TL. Where as the Hollywood Backlot is pretty much invisible unless you go back there.

Phroobar

Annnd ... blocked.

To others, blocking is not a practice I take lightly, and I've not seen need to block anyone else. But I find nothing more pointless or tedious than a p*ssing contest with someone so juvenile and aggressively offensive. I regret having added that first little three word light-hearted comment that escalated into this. I fully expect he will respond to this with more childish mockery, and I apologize to everyone else that you'll be the ones reading it instead of me.

I think it was @Kira Nerys said he has blocked everyone.:D

flynnibus

Premium Member
Annnd ... blocked.
5b2.gif

Sorry you couldn't handle your randomness debunked.

choco choco

I'm still baffled by them building the entire structures out of I beam steel. Seems way overkill (example: the heads). What on earth do they think these things need to survive? :)

Very tall structure held up on very thin legs with no lateral cross bracing. At such long spans, steel is cheaper than wood and you get the extra factor of safety, so it becomes a no-brainer.

Really, anything can be engineered to be built with any material. But California is probably the world leader in overbuilt structures. I have a history in the structural engineering industry here, and I can't tell you how many buildings I've been in where there's twice the amount of support columns needed and they're all twice the size they have to be.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Very tall structure held up on very thin legs with no lateral cross bracing. At such long spans, steel is cheaper than wood and you get the extra factor of safety, so it becomes a no-brainer.

Sure, but it was the use of big 1' i-beams in superficial components that made it stand out to me. I mean, it was built offsite, why not use tubular steel? I can see flat plates being easier to assemble/cut.. but it was all done offsite. Tubular steel is much smaller, much lighter, and certainly strong and rigid enough to hold up sides and top wood/plastic/fiberglass panels inside a building :)

I'm curious how the long segments at the base of the feet will be utilized. My guess is those are to allow the ground level set to be built up and around where the decorated feet will ultimately meet the set as seen by guest.

Practical Pig

Lets all put our big boy (and girl) pants on and stop acting like we're from Micechat, no one there can take anything critical or even take jokes because they'll literally just cry behind their computer or phones.

I rarely look past the project tracker thread or the updates at MC, a site I have no desire to join partly for that very reason. I assure you no one is crying behind any computer here. A big reason I chose this site was because the group here is generally able to have civil, adult, and often witty conversations. All I've done is remove some pointless MC-like pollution from my experience here.

We've had some interesting developments in the SWL construction world today, and I hope we can focus on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom