Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Capsin4

That said, I'm okay with the new planet if it allows for more creative execution and a better theme park experience -- especially since it is almost certain that the planet will be featured significantly in the upcoming movies. By the time the theme park land opens in 2020-21, the planet will probably seem familiar.
It'll definitely play a prominent role in the sequels. What would be interesting is if it plays a role in the Han anthology, especially with the Millenium Falcon as a center piece to the land. It sounds like just the right place for a young man to earn his reputation as a smuggler...and maybe win a ship from a friend.

bhg469

I would guess the Falcon ride is the track less....I'm still hoping for the dueling speedster coasters...

@marni1971 @Lee now that some of the cats out of the bag can you give us hints on ride concepts....puhleese

Sorry Im late to this game but everyone seems to be drooling for trackless attractions. To my knowledge only one trackless ride built to date has given me any desire to ride and thats Mystic Manor and one could argue that if it was on a track, it would be just as good. Trackless vehicles are slow and really bring nothing to the table except that they can be reconfigured to move in different ways... Which a tracked vehicle can do anyway... They just have the ability to move much faster.

ToTBellHop

Sorry Im late to this game but everyone seems to be drooling for trackless attractions. To my knowledge only one trackless ride built to date has given me any desire to ride and thats Mystic Manor and one could argue that if it was on a track, it would be just as good. Trackless vehicles are slow and really bring nothing to the table except that they can be reconfigured to move in different ways... Which a tracked vehicle can do anyway... They just have the ability to move much faster.
Have you seen Poohs Hunny Hunt? The cars dance around each other which is especially cool in the Heffalumps and Woozles scene.

fngoofy

The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean very much do have stories, what they lack is a specific linear narrative.

Haunted Mansion most definitely puts you in the story, as the whole thing is narrated specifically to you by the Ghost Host.

The only story for HM is that the Ghost Host is showing you around the house.
PotC's story is that pirates pillage & plunder and ravage & loot.

PhotoDave219

It took me a week, but I finally got through this entire thread.

I'm not convinced that Star Wars is taking over the space as indicated by @Ignohippo -- not because I think his info is wrong, but because I'm skeptical that it has been finalized. It sounds like plans are still fluid and we are probably 2 years from building being started, so who knows what will happen. If we get some independent confirmation, then I might think differently.

As for the planet used debate, I'm somewhat agnostic. I think the "right" way to go would to have done an established place (most likely Tatooine). I disagree with others that it would have been out of place (who cares if it rains) or not interesting enough (we've seen plenty of shots of Tatooine that could be developed into a visually interesting land). That said, I'm okay with the new planet if it allows for more creative execution and a better theme park experience -- especially since it is almost certain that the planet will be featured significantly in the upcoming movies. By the time the theme park land opens in 2020-21, the planet will probably seem familiar.

As for the rides, the general vibe I get is: Star Tours is likely to stay (and may or may not be included in the 14 acres), the Falcon ride will likely be a simulator of some sort but I expect it to be smaller compartments with a lot more movement (having it be a Kuka ride does make some sense), and the other ride is probably the LPS one hinted by Miceage -- while surely screens would be used, I expect large footprint for that building a significant physical sets.

It could change, it may not.

Based on some of the behind the scenes reaction? The mouse wasn't happy about that.

Rodan75

Star Tours isn't going as far as I know.

From what I heard, there was quite a lot of unhappy people about Hippo's posts.

Alas like you said, we still have two years. Anything can happen.

The information @Ignohippo has been fascinating, but it was only incrementally more info than what was provided at D23. Hopefully they won't punish the source of that info.

ToTBellHop

Star Tours isn't going as far as I know.

Alas like you said, we still have two years. Anything can happen.
Which suggests that his info is correct. Let's hope they see the light and actually expand the park.

ToTBellHop

What post by ignohippo are we referring to?
The 73 posts of his in this thread detailing how the concept art released clearly shows buildings currently in Echo Lake being re skinned for this project, with no appreciable increase in the walkable footprint of the park (the new ride buildings would have extended the park boundaries a bit, not that guests would notice). Hardly a jaw-dropping rebirth for the park.

doctornick

One thing of interest: the info that @Ignohippo talked about really was not much different than what Miceage revealed about Star Wars in DLR (basically, the footprint of the new land). I wonder if the Disney folks are more "generally" upset with any leaked info especially with the project being so far off.

AEfx

OK, catching up - what posts? Just looked through the last search page of his posts and I didn't see any insider info whatsoever...what am I missing?

EDIT: OK, finally found it. The land use graphics? Interesting. I can't quite visualize it yet. I need to stare at them some more. If that turns out to be the case, I wanna know where the hell that money is all going LOL...

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

OK, catching up - what posts? Just looked through the last search page of his posts and I didn't see any insider info whatsoever...what am I missing?

EDIT: OK, finally found it. The land use graphics? Interesting. I can't quite visualize it yet. I need to stare at them some more. If that turns out to be the case, I wanna know where the hell that money is all going LOL...
Meetings are expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom