Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

roj2323

No earthquakes in Florida could mean slightly smaller steel members.
What we lack in earthquakes we make up for in wind. Disney is in a 140mph wind zone but I believe disney builds everything for 160 mph. That said all of the layers of steel and sheeting and other stuff adds up so even with smaller framing members the building will still be insanely strong.

Edited to correct wind speed zoning

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What we lack in earthquakes we make up for in wind. Disney is in a 120mph wind zone but I believe disney builds everything for 160 mph. That said all of the layers of steel and sheeting and other stuff adds up so even with smaller framing members the building will still be insanely strong.
140 MPH wind zone exposure B or D depending on the location per the current code.:D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Anyone else notice that the steel frame for the building and even the AT-AT's is less beefy in appearance than the California counterpart.
They look pretty much the same when I pull up pictures side by side.

While it is always possible that there could be differences in the designs from the left and right coasts, you will generally go with the worst case for either and then apply it to both in a situation like this as the cost to change the design often eclipses any material savings.

JediMasterMatt

Or a location housing parked AT-ATs?

The most surprising thing about the whole construction of these lands to me is that people still aren't asking the right questions. The walkers are just an example and if the context was better understood - the questions that get asked wouldn't need to be and entirely different questions would come up with more exciting avenues to head down. Maybe things will spice up in a few more weeks?

Kman101

The most surprising thing about the whole construction of these lands to me is that people still aren't asking the right questions. The walkers are just an example and if the context was better understood - the questions that get asked wouldn't need to be and entirely different questions would come up with more exciting avenues to head down. Maybe things will spice up in a few more weeks?

What questions should be asked? What are people without inside information supposed to understand? Just wondering ...

bclane

I need questions like this answered: Will the water be midichlorinated? Can we please have a gungan shooting range? And will they have a better costume for Chewie than the ridiculous one they use at the Launch Bay meet and greet? His eyes look terrible (but I still get my picture taken with him almost everyone I go lol).

JediMasterMatt

What questions should be asked? What are people without inside information supposed to understand? Just wondering ...

While I won't make it easy and just spill all the beans (we've still got a long way to go)... using something like the AT-AT discussion, take what is known and then ask why. People hear walker and visions of hot stomping on rebels action dance in their heads. Those of us that know a bit more than others chime in and talk about the walkers motion capabilities and @marni1971 drops a statement like "parked" and this should lead to other questions.

Basic journalism - who, what, when, where, why and how.

Maybe start thinking about "where" a parked walker would be located. Then start thinking about why we are there and that leads to the how it happens and that is by far the coolest part that is in undiscovered country thus far as I haven't read any speculation about how the Dude's rug ties the whole room together.

With that... I'm officially out for bit as I've said enough. Let your imaginations run wild for a few weeks until D23 and I'll keep mum. This ride is going to be cool. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Kman101

While I won't make it easy and just spill all the beans (we've still got a long way to go)... using something like the AT-AT discussion, take what is known and then ask why. People hear walker and visions of hot stomping on rebels action dance in their heads. Those of us that know a bit more than others chime in and talk about the walkers motion capabilities and @marni1971 drops a statement like "parked" and this should lead to other questions.

Maybe start thinking about "where" a parked walker would be located. Then start thinking about why we are there and that leads to the how it happens and that is by far the coolest part that is in undiscovered country thus far as I haven't read any speculation about how the Dude's rug ties the whole room together.

With that... I'm officially out for bit as I've said enough. Let your imaginations run wild for a few weeks until D23 and I'll keep mum. This ride is going to be cool. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Gotcha. Thank you for the explanation :) I appreciate what you (and Martin of course) have been able to share.

bclane

Reading JediMasterMatt's post makes me wonder if we are going to be trying to steal one of those puppies as part of our mission or something. That would totally rock!

yeti

They've made it pretty clear that the ride is set on a First Order star destroyer. The preshow is presumably us on the rebel transport (we're the rebels) that leaves the base planet and is intercepted by the bad guys/caught in the ship's tractor beam. So, battle breaks out on the ship while we're making our escape in the R5 droid-piloted RV (a prisoner transport we've hikacked). We escape....somehow....and land back on terra firma.

Still don't understand how the walkers fit into all this. They could just be scenery, that you make your way past them in the hangar bay before you leave the ship. But they seem more important given that they're there and too huge (occupying the whole height of the building) to be anything but a major set piece.

Goofyernmost

Take your make-believe lands pretty seriously don't ya?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Take your make-believe lands pretty seriously don't ya?

OK folks, I'll explain this to gramps... ;)

So, you know how children can obsess over toys or a story? Like playing all day with little green army men or dressing up as princesses. And then they can quote you the model and make of every tank ever made or they can name the hundred different ancillary characters that appear in the princess series of books?

Well, they still do that. But way into adulthood. They all don't necessarily switch their obsession into 'adult' obsessions like cars or jewelry. They continue to indulge in childhood obsessions. And they don't get made fun of by being called nerds or geeks because they're CEOs of multi-million dollar start-ups. And they spend a lot of time and money into their wonderfully self-indulgent obsessions... because they can. And it's considered 'cool' (present company excepted).

Star Wars obsession was one of the first nerd culture obsessions to be mainstreamed. And it's pretty prevalent. And they're doing it all over your front lawn!

:D

TJJohn12

...and @marni1971 drops a statement like "parked" and this should lead to other questions...

I think that's been lingering question number one for me, really: why is the First Order planning an invasion of this seemingly innocuous backwater spaceport (aside from the fact that the Millenium Falcon is parked there). I'm fully expecting the two rides' stories to be integrated into one battle. But the "who is harbored there" is going to be key... what are the droids they're looking for, so to speak.

Goofyernmost

OK folks, I'll explain this to gramps... ;)

So, you know how children can obsess over toys or a story? Like playing all day with little green army men or dressing up as princesses. And then they can quote you the model and make of every tank ever made or they can name the hundred different ancillary characters that appear in the princess series of books?

Well, they still do that. But way into adulthood. They all don't necessarily switch their obsession into 'adult' obsessions like cars or jewelry. They continue to indulge in childhood obsessions. And they don't get made fun of by being called nerds or geeks because they're CEOs of multi-million dollar start-ups. And they spend a lot of time and money into their wonderfully self-indulgent obsessions... because they can. And it's considered 'cool' (present company excepted).

Star Wars obsession was one of the first nerd culture obsessions to be mainstreamed. And it's pretty prevalent. And they're doing it all over your front lawn!

:D
That's the best part of being "gramps" we know what is important and what is there just for entertainment. It's called wisdom from age. However, I like to think that I had that long before I had grey hair. Useless obsession is hugely present in todays culture and unfortunately, yes, it is forcibly spread all over my front lawn. On the plus side, I'll probably be dead soon and will no longer rain on the obsessive parade. So you have that going for you! :bored::)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom