News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Phroobar

I think it's weird Disney announced both lands to be 14 acres when it's clear the Disneyland version is over 200 acres. It's encompassing the entire park. Plus DCA. And the Downtown Disney District. It's gonna be really big.
64953315.jpg

Sorry to scare you @Curious Constance . ;)

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I think it's weird Disney announced both lands to be 14 acres when it's clear the Disneyland version is over 200 acres. It's encompassing the entire park. Plus DCA. And the Downtown Disney District. It's gonna be really big.
What do you mean? I thought Disneyland's actually WAS on a remote planet somewhere in the galaxy???

nevol

I think @marni1971 was referring to the DHS space between SWGE and midway mania.

Edit: ah, I see that you’re aware of that already.

To be fair, I think it would essentially need to take up the entire berm from Grand Ave tunnel to TSL tunnel, and cut very close to GMR and TSMM in order to match Alcatraz in size.

They could do that, and yes it is a lot of land (overall, whereas I was referring only to their berm that mimics the shape of disneyland's within galaxy's edge) but they'd have to reroute all of their backstage paths and islands.

britain

They could do that, and yes it is a lot of land (overall, whereas I was referring only to their berm that mimics the shape of disneyland's within galaxy's edge) but they'd have to reroute all of their backstage paths and islands.

You mean Disneyland's Fantasmic storage area?

nevol

You mean Disneyland's Fantasmic storage area?
The equivalent of that in DHS's land. Walt Disney World's land has the same shape as disneylands, but without the same reason for the barriers to that side of the land. Disneyland has fantasmic storage and ROA. WDW's has an awkward couple of acres of fake berm, backstage access, and random backstage islands between star wars and some other show buildings. You couldn't even fit another track of midway mania back there though so I don't see what everybody is so excited about. Maybe a relocation of star tours?

britain

The equivalent of that in DHS's land. Walt Disney World's land has the same shape as disneylands, but without the same reason for the barriers to that side of the land. Disneyland has fantasmic storage and ROA. WDW's has an awkward couple of acres of fake berm, backstage access, and random backstage islands between star wars and some other show buildings. You couldn't even fit another track of midway mania back there though so I don't see what everybody is so excited about. Maybe a relocation of star tours?

You bring up an interesting issue: What type of ride could a 3rd SWGE attraction be?

Walkthrough
Low to the ground spinner
Up in the air spinner
Roller Coaster
'Simple' Fantasyland-style dark ride
Omnimover
Bantha PeopleMover (missed its chance)
4D show... eh?
Boat (either Shanghai tech or not)

nevol

You bring up an interesting issue: What type of ride could a 3rd SWGE attraction be?

Walkthrough
Up in the air spinner
Roller Coaster
Omnimover
4D show... eh?
BANTHA!

TROR

Walkthrough
Up in the air spinner
Roller Coaster
Omnimover
4D show... eh?

I just want to be able to fly an X-Wing tbh. Large indoor roller coaster replicating a dogfight in space with a Star Destroyer in the center. Guests could choose between two different tracks, one being First Order (with TIE Fighter ride vehicles) and Resistance (with X-Wing ride vehicles). Then the ride vehicles can "shoot" at each other with laser effects, fly around the Star Destroyer, fly INSIDE the Star Destroyer, etc. This is pretty much what I've been wanting ever since seeing those patented ride vehicle schematics and I'm always gonna be sad we're not getting this.

nevol

Better yet, I don't just want the Bantha; I want to board the back of Jim Hill, while he is on the back of the Bantha. And I want him to narrate the entire ride. "Look how great this is, riding on the bantha around Batuu! We are about to go up a hill and look out over the entire planet! Team Disney Orlando wasn't willing to spend the extra money on this and they killed the project for anaheim too. There may have also been difficulty with ADA compliance and wheelchair boarding. But here we are!"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How the heck would a Bantha ride be even the slightest bit feasible? They're as slow as elephants because they're played by elephants. Bantha's are huge and would sit at most four people at a time. A pre-school spinner would be faster and have a larger pph throughput.

Were they really thinking of what is basically an animatronic elephant, or 40 of them roaming through the park?

nevol

How the heck would a Bantha ride be even the slightest bit feasible? They're as slow as elephants because they're played by elephants. Bantha's are huge and would sit at most four people at a time. A pre-school spinner would be faster and have a larger pph throughput.

Were they really thinking of what is basically an animatronic elephant, or 40 of them roaming through the park?
Like, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage in terms of the grade change just to board the vehicle, and then the vehicle is either tracked or trackless but with wheels with animatronic limbs to make it look powered by a giant elephant. Yup that was about to get greenlit when Parks and Resorts had one master budget/executive team that had to cooperate on everything. TDA wanted it and was willing to pay for it but WDW didn't.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
From what i remember someone saying about the Bantha's (possibly Len) it was just supposed to be this slow tour around GE, almost omnimover like with the Bantha's constantly going around the land, altho my memory is a touch hazy on the specifics.

NobodyElse

Does anyone think an omnimover going at an elephant's pace is a good idea?

I seems like you're expecting a "no" answer.

To me, the answer depends on many factors. If the omnimover is moving past something interesting and highly detailed (like the progress city model), I want a relatively slow speed.

Also note that elephants can hit 15 MPH, so maybe that's too fast. ;-)
https://news.stanford.edu/pr/03/elephants49.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom