News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Mike S

I’m surprised it was ever allowed to open. Who is going over these ideas and thought someone was going to pay that much ?

Maybe you pay that much for Luke, Vader and better theming. What Disney came out with just shows they are completely out of touch with the fans.

Embarrassing.
This was probably approved by the same people that wanted the giant festival table in Epcot, demolished a whole building for it, then cancelled it and ended up putting in a building similar to the one they demolished.

If I were in charge heads would roll over this and I’d publicly state that this is why they’re getting axed.

Figments Friend

It featured a lot of concepts that were originally intended to be included in GE but were instead locked behind a giant paywall to keep the riffraff out, so yeah, some hate is deserved.

And THIS, which a lot of folks seem to have forgotten about.

The average Park going Guest was swindled out of these heavily talked about features during the media hype surrounding the lands announcement some years ago.
And no, it was not just app based phone games they were talkin’ bout…

-

brb1006

Guess the Han Solo and Princess Leia Organa's wedding book from last Feburary had ended up pointless.
star-wars-the-princess-and-the-scoundrel-cover.jpg

For those unaware, The Galactic Starcruiser is where Han and Leia Organa spent their honeymoon and as a tie-in to the actual Starcruiser itself.

5thGenTexan

Not discrediting the idea that Han, Luke & Leia would be popular, Lucasfilm specifically designed these new characters because everything that happens is “canon”. So they didn’t want Rey or Kylo or any legacy characters to say unscripted things in their interactions.

Not saying I agree with Lucasfilms logic, just wanted to throw that in here

When did Lucasfilm decide to take that position?

They allowed "Christmas in the Stars" to happen as well as the Star Wars Holiday Special. Both exist, yet as far as I know have no impact on canon. They might want to forget that we know about those two "works", but they havent had any impact on anything after their existence.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He's no worse than Holdo or rose. I'd take Maul, young obiwan, quigon, jango, dooku, grievous... Over most all of the sequel characters. The prequels had their issues, but from a trilogy standpoint, they were light-years ahead of the sequels. Kennedy is just about as clueless of a president as could be. She has just been terrible for the brand in my opinion.
You’re gonna get “pecked” to death for this one 🐧

donaldtoo

Woof, that was quick.
But, really not unexpected, IMO.
One expensive experiment, but, you never know unless you try, I guess.
I’m sure they did plenty of marketing research on this…? How did they get it so wrong…?!

MagicHappens1971

When did Lucasfilm decide to take that position?

They allowed "Christmas in the Stars" to happen as well as the Star Wars Holiday Special. Both exist, yet as far as I know have no impact on canon. They might want to forget that we know about those two "works", but they havent had any impact on anything after their existence.
I can't speak to "when" they took that position, but that is the position they took for Galactic Starcruiser, which is one of the reasons they created all new characters.

Mmoore29

They know Jack about what made Star Wars popular…
Nice try, troll. Disney knows Star Wars inside out and has made incredible additions to the canon that fit hand in glove with what George Lucas accomplished. Kathleen Kennedy deserves to be praised for that, as does Abrams, Johnson, Filoni, Favreau, Rodriguez and everyone that's worked on these incredible visual projects. Times have changed. You didn't understand the saga as well as you think you did, so you come up with excuses rather than admit you were wrong. Cope.

Sandurz

So I heard from someone who knows … that the true development cost of the Starcruiser was more like $250 million for the building and close to $1 billion for the concept.

Ouch.
How could $750 million possibly be spent on the intangibles of this? I could even believe $100-200 million if you roll in all the interactive roleplay experiments and projects over the years but that’s just absurd.

the thing is too, if this had worked, each voyage would have been absolutely flush with cash. ~$750k every full voyage is nothing to sneeze at. Even with high labor costs, the margins would have been there if there wasn‘t so much development cost. How do you even proceed with construction at that point knowing how the numbers will have to work.

the whole thing feels like a failure of market research more than anything. It succeeded but the experience as designed just doesn’t have the audience.

Mike S

Nice try, troll. Disney knows Star Wars inside out and has made incredible additions to the canon that fit hand in glove with what George Lucas accomplished. Kathleen Kennedy deserves to be praised for that, as does Abrams, Johnson, Filoni, Favreau, Rodriguez and everyone that's worked on these incredible visual projects. Times have changed. You didn't understand the saga as well as you think you did, so you come up with excuses rather than admit you were wrong. Cope.
Then why is Grogu the only character created under Disney that sells like the originals? I work in retail and currently the only Star Wars merch we got is Mandalorian and RotJ 40th. Then we got Legos and all of them are either OT, PT, or Mando lol

If the sequels were so popular surely they’d still be making toys of those characters to meet demand, correct?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom