News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I may have miss the part where I said:

"That said, I think they pulled the plug on this too soon on this.

It almost as if the write off was worth more to the company than the venue its self."
Saying something nice about it doesn't negate the influencer ad hominem. But I do appreciate you said something nice about it! ;)

But in fairness, I shall say something critical of it: It was too damned expensive. The price tag kept me from going. And you're right that they closed it too early without trying discounted pricing.

Disstevefan1

Saying something nice about it doesn't negate the influencer ad hominem. But I do appreciate you said something nice about it! ;)

But in fairness, I shall say something critical of it: It was too damned expensive. The price tag kept me from going. And you're right that they closed it too early without trying discounted pricing.
My point was whoever was getting the free stuff (whoever they are) , if they want to keep getting free stuff they must give a positive review.

Yes there are many who paid their way and gave positive reviews too. Tom Corless loved the place, but we do have to keep in mind he has plenty of money and he can write the visits off too.

But I totally agree, it was the price point that killed it. I think I read someplace the margin for the parks is about 20 percent?

I would love to see the numbers for the Star cruiser. I wonder what was the margins on that?
The Star cruiser MUST have been making money.

Perhaps it was not making "enough" money for Disney?

kingdead

My point was whoever was getting the free stuff (whoever they are) , if they want to keep getting free stuff they must give a positive review.

Yes there are many who paid their way and gave positive reviews too. Tom Corless loved the place, but we do have to keep in mind he has plenty of money and he can write the visits off too.

But I totally agree, it was the price point that killed it. I think I read someplace the margin for the parks is about 20 percent?

I would love to see the numbers for the Star cruiser. I wonder what was the margins on that?

I'm guessing labor--paying actors to interact for that long and at that level must have been costly. That and there were probably burnout issues, it's one thing to put on the Star Wars equivalent of Tony and Tina's Wedding where there's a bunch of beats in a three hour time period and not a ton of interaction and another to do face to face immersion for what, eight hours per cruise?

GimpYancIent

Definitely not bringing in the money, at least not what Disney management thought. After the initial wave of bookings the numbers dropped off, all the reviews ultimately meant nothing, until there were no bookings to speak of. A lack of passengers / voyagers / guests = a lack of revenue. The only reason it booked up now IS because it is going away. The we go to go on one of the last cruises (brag point) crowd. One thing is for sure, people make up their own minds and choices regardless of reviews even if they are fun to read / watch.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Definitely not brining in the money, at least not what Disney management thought. After the initial wave of bookings the numbers dropped off, all the reviews ultimately meant nothing, until there were no bookings to speak of. A lack of passengers / voyagers / guests = a lack of revenue. The only reason it booked up now IS because it is going away. The we go to go on one of the last cruises (brag point) crowd. One thing is for sure, people make up their own minds and choices regardless of reviews even if they are fun to read / watch.
Its too bad the Star cruiser was not allowed to lose money (LIKE DISNEY PLUS) while they at least try to get it right.

It seems like the theme parks are run like normal businesses unlike D+ and their movie business which are allows to lose money over and over.

LSLS

I fully believe people who went were happy with it. If you are paying $6k for something, I'd guess you've done enough research to understand what you are getting yourself into. The issue is that they limited their pool of people SO much with all the decisions that were made.

dreamfinder912

Definitely not brining in the money, at least not what Disney management thought. After the initial wave of bookings the numbers dropped off, all the reviews ultimately meant nothing, until there were no bookings to speak of. A lack of passengers / voyagers / guests = a lack of revenue. The only reason it booked up now IS because it is going away. The we go to go on one of the last cruises (brag point) crowd. One thing is for sure, people make up their own minds and choices regardless of reviews even if they are fun to read / watch.

Nothing to do with bragging. It's a farewell. The community of repeat voyagers -which is to say, people who loved this experience enough to do it multiple times- are devastated. Im sure some people tried for the final one, but the scramble to book before close was to get -any- date at all. I don't think any of us imagined it would just go, and not so quickly. I figured a few characters and plots would go first, death by 1000 cuts as Disney normally does it.

celluloid

I don't know if I should consider it amazing that the two of you missed the part where I pointed out that the vlogs and reviews of PEOPLE WHO AREN'T INFLUENCERS also gave it great reviews, or, not that amazing that you would purposely overlook that, in order to further your ad hominem attack against anyone who gave it a great review.

As a reminder, the post you responded to said:

Then, many of the people who attending who were not influencers posted their own vlogs and reviews.

But you want to make it all about the tainted reviews of influencers or go off on a tangent about lack of capacity. Go back to arguing how *cringe* it was that you never experienced.
Wait, you find everyone else missing the point? Influencers had reciprocity. That was that.

The rest of my post mentioned that even with others going back, on the freebie first time or paying twice, the place still could not keep booked.
It is not an attack on influencers or fans. It is a statement of reality on the lack of demand for what Disney did.
It failed dude. Build a lightly themed galactic ship bridge and get over it.

Twirlnhurl

Galactic Starcruiser is something I have no interest in experiencing--I don't enjoy interactive theater and I am not a huge Star Wars fan. But I followed this story because of my interest in the themed entertainment business. And I think there are a few things about this product that are quite clear:

1. It was a business failure. Not only is it closing, but they didn't even try to save it with significant pricing adjustments or conceptual changes. I think the price point was way too high and the market for the experience is smaller than anticipated. I think Disney frequently overestimates the size of the market for interactive and character-based experiences. I think that bias emerges for a few reasons: Characters are a market differentiator that Disney owns; meet and greets have long lines (due to extremely low capacity, not high demand); and characters are easy to describe in a survey. In reality, all one-on-one character interaction combined at the Magic Kingdom in a day is probably about the same as the number of rides on a single E-ticket. Character interaction is not as popular as Disney thinks, and immersive theater is even less popular. That is not to say those thing aren't good or can't work in a boutique hotel context. But the business plan needs to be scaled to the actual demand for that type of experience.

2. The customers who experienced it seemed to like it a lot. The initial negative press about character makeup and lame activities seem to be unusual opinions of the people who actually saw it in person. Some of that is undoubtedly selection effects--the kind of person who thinks they would enjoy it enough to spend that kind of money for this experience is the kind of person who WOULD like it. But I think the positive word of mouth is genuine. Refer to Podcast The Ride's interview with Andrew Barth Feldman or Len Testa's review. Both of these sources would certainly call it out for being hokey if it is an artistic failure. But I think the fact is that it was a good experience for the people who wanted to try it and actually got to see it.

Both of those can be true at the same time. And I think they are true here.

celluloid

Sadly, the Show Director of entertainment for Starcruiser is now going to be back to the Freelance life. Situations like that I truly feel bad for.

Incomudro

I fully believe people who went were happy with it. If you are paying $6k for something, I'd guess you've done enough research to understand what you are getting yourself into. The issue is that they limited their pool of people SO much with all the decisions that were made.
Interestingly, my wife and I just paid $6,000 for a six night stay at Sandals South Beach in Jamaica.
That includes round trip airfare, and if you know Sandals - all food, and all drinks (including alcohol) all day, every day.

Incomudro

And a pool! :hilarious:
:D Though I understand the lack of a pool on the Starcruiser - Yes, a pool!
A swim up pool bar, several restaurants, two miles of beach, a soaking tub in the room, gorgeous grounds, water sports included...
Two very different experiences for sure, but what you get for essentially the same price is night and day.

Rich Brownn

Its too bad the Star cruiser was not allowed to lose money (LIKE DISNEY PLUS) while they at least try to get it right.

It seems like the theme parks are run like normal businesses unlike D+ and their movie business which are allows to lose money over and over.
There's the possibility (and hope) D+ will eventually make money. No such scenario existed for Starcruiser.

Epcot81Fan

Interestingly, my wife and I just paid $6,000 for a six night stay at Sandals South Beach in Jamaica.
That includes round trip airfare, and if you know Sandals - all food, and all drinks (including alcohol) all day, every day.
Sounds fun!

Have you both decided what your Jamaican play acting names will be? How about your backstories and costumes?!

Oh wait, you’re actually adults going on a vacation, never mind.

Disstevefan1

There's the possibility (and hope) D+ will eventually make money. No such scenario existed for Starcruiser.
I have no data to back it up but I think Starcruiser “made a profit ”, just didn’t “make enough of a profit”, as in my opinion, the theme parks are run like a real business unlike Disney’s movie business.

For the sake of argument, let’s say the Starcruiser did not make a profit, they pulled the plug right away without even trying to fix it, while Disney loses hundreds of millions of dollars on their movies over and over.

In my mind it’s a double standard.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
I think they bring a lot of this on themselves. I don’t know how many surveys I’ve taken at the Parks where it becomes obvious to even the most casual observer, that they already have the answer that they want to drive you to. Unfortunately, most of the time, it’s not the answer that you want to be driven to!!! I really think they feel they know better in regards to what the masses want - instead of just sitting back and listening…

celluloid

I think they bring a lot of this on themselves. I don’t know how many surveys I’ve taken at the Parks where it becomes obvious to even the most casual observer, that they already have the answer that they want to drive you to. Unfortunately, most of the time, it’s not the answer that you want to be driven to!!! I really think they feel they know better in regards to what the masses want - instead of just sitting back and listening…

Tarzan is the perfect example for me.

I was working at the DRC and there was a survey given for meeting characters at Animal Kingdom. Disney was done with Tarzan daily in their minds anyway and was ready to end that cost.

They would survey guests how many met Tarzan near the Tree of Life after meeting all the other characters. They intentionally placed Tarzan's meet far around the bend of the Tree so that as others met the characters there in larger numbers, he was not noticed, so the data looked like no one really cared to meet him in comparison. They got the answers they wanted.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here’s a good video explaining exactly why it had to close

Pro isn't an insider. And his content is ridiculous.

1694554478408.png

1694554531417.png

Not to mention a bad case of Kathleen Kennedy derangement syndrome (or not and it just brings in the clicks)...

1694554708511.png

1694554744721.png

1694554808801.png
1694554849651.png

1694554960709.png

You'll find videos claiming Kennedy is firmly in charge because Ahsoka 'girl power' is all because of Kennedy along with rumors about how everyone in Disney/LucasFilm hates her and so any power she has has been taken away and she's just a figurehead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom