News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

celluloid

I find smoke disgusting and am fine with it being zero, but many people cannot go without their addiction to that or Starbucks for 2 days(just picked two things people are often getting their fix for) Is there Starbucks under a different name and are there going to be people vaping at this place?

Totally random but the operational stuff is interesting.

The ear piece thing goes into Stage Manager type situations such as cues and contingency communication. Nothing new to live theater.

celluloid

Don't need no stinking valet parking service! Greeters at the entrance to guide guests and bell hop service to tag / move luggage to the halcyon and appropriate cabins the guests can park / secure their own vehicles. Don't see valet parking as a perk or extravagance actually more of a nuisance.
They can operate a small hourly operation for valet than they can pay the potential millions or hundreds of thousands it would take to hide more show buildings and industrial needs of the park and hotel. Probably benefits then far more than the guest.

There are only 100 rooms. You are probably never averaging over 40 vehicles and it makes people feel like they got a fancy value and controls the entrance statement for pennies.

TrojanUSC

I question the “all inclusive” aspects of this?

Like can I have a sandwich at 2 pm? Can I hang out with the fellow man-babies at 4 am in the bar with the “alien”?

Or is it “do this…in ten minutes do that…” for staffing and cost effectiveness? What if I’ve done the land…cause I have and it’s has little to no repeat value?

Questions abound

There’s a snack bar. It was sold as a 24/7 quick service place but it’s literally just goldfish crackers, cake pops and purple rice krispy treats.

The bar has set hours but the food in there is included. Booze is additional.

mergatroid

I find smoke disgusting and am fine with it being zero, but many people cannot go without their addiction to that or Starbucks for 2 days(just picked two things people are often getting their fix for) Is there Starbucks under a different name and are there going to be people vaping at this place?

Totally random but the operational stuff is interesting.

The ear piece thing goes into Stage Manager type situations such as cues and contingency communication. Nothing new to live theater.

Is there a place I can smoke?​

If you’d like to smoke, you’ll need to take the Launch Pod, back to the hotel entrance and go outside.

FAQ here

MurphyJoe

I watched one of the videos of the lightsaber training and I just don't understand what is going on. Nobody looks like they are having fun as they wait for another beam of light to emit. This technology and the way it's implemented is less advanced than playing Force Unleashed (where you play as Vader's secret apprentice) on the Wii which was released in 2008.

Also does anyone know if the VR from the void made it into the Starcruiser? The reviews for that experience were good and it was something I always wanted to try before it shut down. Based on those reviews it seems that would have been a nice addition.

What kills me with the lightsaber training aboard the Starcruiser is "Vader Immortal VR" did it better, and at a fraction of the cost, even if you're needing to buy a headset. Now I'm aware you can't directly compare a video game to real-life entertainment, but Disney should've figured out a way to do it better than something that could appear in a well-equipped arcade.

Vader's Dojo Side-game (there's the main story, all three parts together run for about 45 minutes and it feels like a theme park attraction, then there's the Dojo where you can test your lightsaber skills):

celluloid

Thanks for posting that as operational and communication are always interesting to see with something somewhat new.

At what point do you go through security and how well is it themed? I saw planters as people left their shuttle to the park but did not see any video of people mentioning it as they entered the hotel, which would seem like the least intrusive to get it done there and make it possible for people not to bring contraband items into the hotel or later into the park from there.

_caleb

The main dining room for this concept also has to play host to the big evening entertainment with Gaya. It's odd they dumbed it down so much and cheaped out like they did, when it plays such a time-consuming and important role in the experience.

Galactic Starcruiser Crown of Corellia Dining Room for a few thousand dollars per night...

2022-wdw-star-wars-hotel-galactic-starcruiser-media-preview-crown-of-corellia-dining-room-atmosphere-6.jpg

Third (3rd) Class Dining Room in 1936 on the Queen Mary...

3cldrstbd.jpg
I get that this is a downgrade from some of the concept art. But it definitely could have been worse. Practically every ride in WDW has a black acoustic-tile drop ceiling and it feels so cheap and lazy.

Disstevefan1

I have been watching all the videos about this and it looks like fun. Will be booking a stay? No, but that’s because, for my family, the money would be better spent vacationing differently, even vacationing differently at WDW.

A big factor is that we were never a huge Star Wars fans. The movies are fine and I like Mando and Boba on D+, but we are not Star Wars fanatics.

We have been to WDW dozens of times and there are sit down restaurants we have not tried merely because of the price tag, looks ok but to me, not worth the money.

Ironically, watching all the videos shows me everything and makes me feel, “ok I have seen it, no need to wonder what I am missing“, and I am ok with that.

_caleb

It seems like the majority of folks commenting on the Starcruiser simply don’t have the conceptual category to understand what this is/isn’t.

People vacation in different ways, and so much comes down to personal preference. I believe it’s wholly incumbent upon Disney to describe this in a way that allows customers to know what it is, and that they’ve not done a goood job of it here.

But this is a Disney fan site and lots of people who read this thread every day still really aren’t trying very heard to get it. Some of the reasons I’m discounting a lot of the opinions I’m seeing posted here:
  • Disney keeps calling this ”an immersive experience.” Why? Because that’s what they’re selling here. Not amenities, not rest and relaxation, not all-you-can-eat buffets, not live music, not even luxury (despite the use of that word to dscribe the Starship). They’re selling the feeling fans can have when the story unfolds around them and they have a tiny bit of influence in how that story unfolds.
  • This is more like a video game but in real life than a hotel or a resort or even a cruise. The cruise is the setting of the 360º interactive show. The closest thing we’ve seen to this in the Parks is probably Citizens of Hollywood.
  • The reason Disney hasn’t tried to market this the way they have other attractions/resorts is that this is a very different sort of thing. I agree with those who would have preferred in-character marketing rather than the behind-the-scenes Imagineer talking points approach, but people don’t get what this is. Marketing it as a “space cruise by Chandrila Star Line Cruises” would be leave customers to their own existing categories to understand it.
  • Watch how many reviews (first vloggers, then media, then actual paying customers) will include something to the effect of, “At first, I didn’t get it. But now, after the experience, I do get it! And I like it!”
  • The facilities are just the set for the show. Yes, we can see the seams from our computer screens, but that’s because we’re evaluating what we see while not immersed in the show.
  • I, too, think this is way overpriced. All of WDW is. But I don’t think they’ll lower the price. If they have a any difficulties selling rooms, I think they’ll add stuff instead. ”Experiences.”
  • This is NOT “aimed” at kids. It’s for fans of Star Wars (all of it, not just OT) who are willing to try something new.
BTW, I’m not an apologist or Pixie-duster. I just understand that Disney is trying to do something different here, and I think it’s going to gain them a corner of the fandom that few have tried to connect with at this level.

VJ

One thing I learned today is that a media preview is a great time to ride rise of the resistance. These videos are the first time I've seen the guns effect working since it first opened.
Disney cares only about two groups: the rich, and the media. The first one is why Galactic Starcruiser exists, and the second one is why everyone's saying it's the best thing since sliced bread - even if they don't really think that.

Disney knows that if you give the media the best experience possible, even if it pales in comparison to what regular Guests get (and most oftentimes it does), the Guests will buy in.

celluloid

It seems like the majority of folks commenting on the Starcruiser simply don’t have the conceptual category to understand what this is/isn’t.

People vacation in different ways, and so much comes down to personal preference. I believe it’s wholly incumbent upon Disney to describe this in a way that allows customers to know what it is, and that they’ve not done a goood job of it here.

But this is a Disney fan site and lots of people who read this thread every day still really aren’t trying very heard to get it. Some of the reasons I’m discounting a lot of the opinions I’m seeing posted here:
  • Disney keeps calling this ”an immersive experience.” Why? Because that’s what they’re selling here. Not amenities, not rest and relaxation, not all-you-can-eat buffets, not live music, not even luxury (despite the use of that word to dscribe the Starship). They’re selling the feeling fans can have when the story unfolds around them and they have a tiny bit of influence in how that story unfolds.
  • This is more like a video game but in real life than a hotel or a resort or even a cruise. The cruise is the setting of the 360º interactive show. The closest thing we’ve seen to this in the Parks is probably Citizens of Hollywood.
  • The reason Disney hasn’t tried to market this the way they have other attractions/resorts is that this is a very different sort of thing. I agree with those who would have preferred in-character marketing rather than the behind-the-scenes Imagineer talking points approach, but people don’t get what this is. Marketing it as a “space cruise by Chandrila Star Line Cruises” would be leave customers to their own existing categories to understand it.
  • Watch how many reviews (first vloggers, then media, then actual paying customers) will include something to the effect of, “At first, I didn’t get it. But now, after the experience, I do get it! And I like it!”
  • The facilities are just the set for the show. Yes, we can see the seams from our computer screens, but that’s because we’re evaluating what we see while not immersed in the show.
  • I, too, think this is way overpriced. All of WDW is. But I don’t think they’ll lower the price. If they have a any difficulties selling rooms, I think they’ll add stuff instead. ”Experiences.”
  • This is NOT “aimed” at kids. It’s for fans of Star Wars (all of it, not just OT) who are willing to try something new.
BTW, I’m not an apologist or Pixie-duster. I just understand that Disney is trying to do something different here, and I think it’s going to gain them a corner of the fandom that few have tried to connect with at this level.

While there are some who don't understand that this is a highly interactive focus more than vacation of R and R, it is a question on the longevity and sustainability of the concept.

That will be the interesting aspect for a lot of eggs in a basket.

A two day Adventurer's club/ Ghost Town Alive or Forbidden Frontier with an overnight stay and meals.

Incomudro

What struck me about this when I watched the DFB video (it's still the only video I've watched in its entirety) and it's what I really liked when I saw it - is that guests are in effect inside a theater.
This is especially apparent when the actors are up on the balconies above the guests.
I can imagine them making their entrance to perform their parts from the back stage area, and I actually like that.
In many ways it's like being inside a play where the actors include the audience in on it.

Rescue Ranger

As someone who loves Star Wars, I'm not seeing anything here outside of the cast of characters like the Rodian, that pulls me in. As a themed dining experience, I'd be all over this. But for what it currently is, Space220 + Galaxy's Edge or a Cruise offers me SO much more.

If someone said here, I'm giving you $5000 and you have a choice of either the Starcruiser or multiple days spent at Space 220 + Oga's + Galaxy's Edge, I wouldn't choose the Starcruiser.

I'll be very invested in what the future holds for the Starcruiser, its popularity and what changes in operations it may or may not see.

_caleb

What struck me about this when I watched the DFB video (it's still the only video I've watched in its entirety) and it's what I really liked when I saw it - is that guests are in effect inside a theater.
This is especially apparent when the actors are up on the balconies above the guests.
I can imagine them making their entrance to perform their parts from the back stage area, and I actually like that.
In many ways it's like being inside a play where the actors include the audience in on it.
Exactly!
Of course, this sort of show infrastructure–catwalks, raised areas, audiences attention-getters, set pieces, etc.– is exactly what was built into SW:GE but Disney failed to deliver there.

_caleb

While there are some who don't understand that this is a highly interactive focus more than vacation of R and R, it is a question on the longevity and sustainability of the concept.

That will be the interesting aspect for a lot of eggs in a basket.

A two day Adventurer's club/ Ghost Town Alive or Forbidden Frontier with an overnight stay and meals.
I imagine the uniqueness of this concept has made it very difficult for Disney to gauge long-term demand for it. And pricing!

TOTALLY agree about Adventurer's Club! I want a 2-Day "experience" of an interactive murder mystery in the Tower of Terror.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That’s some hard core “preaching” for a non-pixie duster

Wendy Pleakley

This will be one to watch. This article is from someone who has been participating in interactive theme park experiences at Disney and other locations for some time, and will be doing the inaugural cruise.

This is the kind of person who will bring a level of engagement and also expectation, and may give a really good idea of just how this project delivers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom