News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TP2000

Another video from the same person, thistle talking with an Imagineer and a Lucasfilm rep on the architecture and interior design of the Starcruiser:

All of what they say is nice and dandy, if only the final product could back it up.

I could only watch half of this video of the Viking Architect and his little gentleman friend, and then I just had to shut it off. 😑

It's all just words and blabber. And more words. What the heck are they even talking about? Who cares at this point?

MurphyJoe

Wonder how they'd handle a group of casual MST3K cosplayers yelling, "We've got movie sign!!!!" and slightly panicking every time the story alarm goes off?

I am fascinated to see how this whole thing works... will it have alerts? Will it not? Will people miss events? I can't wait to see how this thing works....

Knowing Disney's track record, I'm not holding my breath.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Your individual star wars experience has been reduced to ship wide 'story events' where everyone will muster together and be given a choice in what to do. Make sure you and your 50 closest neighbors don't trip over each other as you agilely make your next move!
"Playful First Order spooks have interrupted our cruise. Please remain seated in your average night club seats we will proceed in just a moment" or "We have been unavoidably detained by Pranking Porgs. Kindly remain seated in your Ikea chairs, we will continue our tour in just a moment".

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Lol, no

The whole point is you walk into the building and take a shuttle into outer space to get on the starcruiser. Yes, we know that isn't really happening. If you need your suspension of belief to extend to the entire drive to the place, that's a you problem, not a problem with this. Once you are "on set" you can't see the warehouse. There's tons of examples in both Disney and Universal parks where you can see warehouses from on set. This isn't one of them. "omg I can see the warehouse from the road in my car" is not a legit complaint about anything in the theme park world. You are just looking for things to be mad about.
Um. No. That is a very legitimate complaint. The idea of not seeing show buildings for major attractions came from Walt himself. Disney set this industry standard. They have no excuse for not doing something soo essentail to the experience. You are DEAD WRONG.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

So am I to assume this early concept art of a room is not an option at all? (thought it might be a premium option still)

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2021%2F08%2Fstar-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-high-booking-prices-info-000.jpg
That is far too luxurious for this Luxury Cruise. How dare you.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Another video from the same person, thistle talking with an Imagineer and a Lucasfilm rep on the architecture and interior design of the Starcruiser:

All of what they say is nice and dandy, if only the final product could back it up.

Interesting thing brought up here is a character called D3O9, who from what I can tell based on the context of the conversation is a character found in your sleeping quarters. Maybe a voice assistant-like character or character powered by AI who we receive messages/tasks from.

Towards the end of this video they also talk a bit about the technology powering the windows and how we fly by places like Coruscant and Naboo. How disappointing it must be then that our port planet is Batuu, then.

He is the one who put 90 degree angles and regular hotel ceiling in a space ship? Fire him immediatley!!!

MrPromey

Last edited:

TP2000

The next Disney Dish Podcast will Jim Hill is going to be very interesting.

Honestly, isn't this fun to watch? It's what Light Magic would have been like had we had a fully functioning internet, Social Media, and iPhones back in 1997.

WDI's self-congratulatory videos on YouTube about how important and amazing they are is an extra 2022 bonus.

I just checked the bar cart, and I'm all ready for this weekend! 🤪

Last edited:

brb1006

Honestly, isn't this fun to watch? It's what Light Magic would have been like had we had a fully functioning internet, Social Media, and iPhones back in 1997.

WDI's self-congratulatory videos on YouTube about how important and amazing they are is an extra 2022 bonus.

I just checked the bar cart, and I'm all ready for this weekend! 🤪
Can't wait to revisit this thread when the embargo is finally lifted.

So Over It

Anyone want to play a game of “caption this photo”? I’ll start.
View attachment 623992
“Sorry Billy, there is no pool, but there are dramatic story events!”
"Son, just because your mother divorced me over my "Michael Jackson's coat meets Hillary Clinton's hair" phase I'm going through with my appearance... that doesn't mean I am a bad father. I wanted to prove it to you by taking you on the best vacation you could ever dream of; to a place where imagination is endless, and YOU create the story. But Magic Kingdom was sold out this entire week, so we're stuck with this. I tried."

TrojanUSC

The problem with that is . . . no it isn't.

The reality is that this building is the Starcruiser, but that's not what the guests are meant to believe. So you need to provide them with a plausible alternative - like that there is no building there in which the Starcruiser experience could be taking place. Or that if there is, at least you're not seeing any evidence of it.

I bet you zero out of 1,000 people will see the Starcruiser warehouse and go "that must be where they house the supplies for the little Shuttle that takes us to space". No, it's obvious what's really going on there, and it ruins that part of the illusion. Of course most guests know they aren't actually going to space, but the entire point of this sort of enterprise is to remove all evidence to the contrary. A real cruise is one thing, because the lame buildings at a cruise port are 1) necessary, and 2) not the actual site of the event. Your cruise ship is plenty more appealing, and I bet most people focus their attention on that. But the Starcruiser doesn't have an actual, compelling, on-earth focal point for guests to be distracted by on arrival, so you've instead got to whittle down what they see to only things that support the idea they're about to start an intergalactic voyage. Big white boxy building doesn't do that. It's clear what the truth is.

As is true of any attraction, you have to make it easier to believe that you're on a great adventure than it is to believe you're ping-ponging around a warehouse. The easiest, and most basic way to do this is . . . to hide the warehouse. Otherwise the guests' immediate impulse will be "that must be were this thing actually takes place". Way to spoil the fun before you even get inside.

The same is basically true of taking guests past the backside of Galaxy's Edge on their approach to the Star Cruiser. You're paying 6 Grand for the most mega-Star Wars adventure on earth, and you're making us see how fake it all is before we even start?? Couldn't you take us the long-way 'round through some trees or something? Goodness.

Have SOME sense of Showmanship about this, Disney.

10000%. When I walk up to DINOSAUR, I see the Dino Institute. The MASSIVE show building behind was carefully and strategically hidden by WDI at great expense. With the argument many are saying here, it would have been A-OK to leave it exposed, as people would think "oh that's great, the big green building houses the supports for my Time Rover!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom