News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney has lost their way with the dogma of 'everything we do is about the story'

No, the story's importance is to be your framework, it's your skeleton to ensure what you build has consistency and focus. You create a backstory and use story so the resulting product has credibility, purpose, consistency, and continuity with itself and its surroundings. It is the tool to create consistency that leads to credibility/buy-in from the guest.

Story is not what the guest is buying or coming for. ENTERTAINMENT is what the guest is consuming. You pick the right story so it's something that ultimately will be attractive to the guest.

Disney has repeated "story" to themselves so many times they have forgotten what the end product actually us. It's not story!

Animaniac93-98

Also learned that the Star Wars bar won't be the only Star Wars experience onboard. They're also adding in Star Wars: Cargo Bay where kids become creature handlers for a range of Star Wars critters and can help Rey and Chewy escape the First Order.

Skipping ahead to the part concerning the Cargo Bay. Also shows them working on the bar's window.

View attachment 623882

My thing is how can the Starcruiser, at a much higher price point, appear to be halfway done while the cruise ship team goes for broke?

When I saw the Star Wars stuff planned for the Wish, I thought it was a paired down version of what the Starcruiser was getting, as if both projects were made concurrently using similar design features and activities.

I was not expecting the Wish to top the "real" Star Wars cruise ship in any way.

MurphyJoe

When I saw the Star Wars stuff planned for the Wish, I thought it was a paired down version of what the Starcruiser was getting, as if both projects were made concurrently using similar design features and activities.

I was not expecting the Wish to top the "real" Star Wars cruise ship in any way.

That was what I was anticipating too. Needing to wait for reviews, but this is starting to look awkward.

MrPromey

You're welcome. I wanna know why the Halycon doesn't have creatures in a hold that I can go see. Now, THAT would be the WOW of this thing.

Bluntly, it's because Disney stands to make a lot more off those cheaper rooms on the real cruise ship than they do off these crazy priced ones due to volume. It's the same reason the show(s) won't be anywhere near that scale or as impressive and why they didn't make things 50% larger, even though they certainly could have (with added construction costs) - there are only ever a maximum of about 300 people ever going to be there at a time and even at their crazy pricing, that doesn't allow for the same kind of margin as a cruise ship or a Galaxy's Edge.

Absolutely none of this should matter to the person who pony's up the $5k+ plus for this, though, and it's all a business/financial challenge of Disney's own making since they had 100% control to make this whatever, however they wanted.

That's why I don't feel Disney deserves any leeway with judgement on this. A lot of people are saying "Well what did you expect?" and for $5k+ most people people expect a lot, as well they should. If Disney can't even make the experience something comparable to their own considerably cheaper cruise ship offerings which, you know, involve actual real ships that are engineering and construction marvels that actually take people places, not for pretend, they screwed up, plain and simple.

The idea of it being in-universe sized has already been debunked and for Pete's sake, this is the same company that just built the Space restaurant in Epcot which is supposed to seem rather contemporary and near-future possible despite its open atmosphere, high ceilings, and large panoramic "windows" looking out into space which wouldn't even be practical if a space elevator did exist.

The SF Gate had an article today talking about how it's (a lot) cheaper to take a trip to France, including airfare, and visit DLP than it is to go to DL in California and stay on property as someone within driving distance:

https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/a...-cheaper-than-Disneyland-Anaheim-16941448.php

This is just another example of how things are not right with what's happening with this company's stateside resorts, at all.

EDITED for clairity due to TP2000's observation on my tank-of-gas comment.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

The SF Gate had an article today talking about how it's (a lot) cheaper to take a trip to France and visit DLP than it is to go to DL in California on a tank of gas and stay there:

https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/a...-cheaper-than-Disneyland-Anaheim-16941448.php

Things are not right with the way things are happening with this company's stateside resorts, at all.

My trip to DLP in 2017 was cheaper than a comparable package at WDW, even with the higher cost of airfare.

DLP prices have gone up quite a bit since then, but I would not be surprised if that were still the case.

Cesar R M

With how huge spaceships are in Star Wars and them pitching this as a luxury experience, there's no thematic reason for these rooms to be smaller than the typical cruise ship suite.

This is obviously a promo image, but I'd be surprised if the final product was too much different, for a dinner show on the Disney Wish.

View attachment 623881

Also learned that the Star Wars bar won't be the only Star Wars experience onboard. They're also adding in Star Wars: Cargo Bay where kids become creature handlers for a range of Star Wars critters and can help Rey and Chewy escape the First Order.

Skipping ahead to the part concerning the Cargo Bay. Also shows them working on the bar's window.

View attachment 623882

My thing is how can the Starcruiser, at a much higher price point, appear to be halfway done while the cruise ship team goes for broke?

Wish's offerings def looks waaaaaaay better.
The Star Wars lounge and Cargo with its animatronics are giving me Hogwarts's stores (the ones with many things to see and do near Ollivander's )

Anyone noticed that also in this video.. the imagineers arent patting themselves in the back like self absorbed aholes or using buzzwords left and right?

LSLS

2 nights in a deluxe studio on disney property would be nearly $1500 with no food or activities included.

You are talking a hotel with multiple pools (and activities at the pool at least a portion of the day), a room about more than double the size, and multiple restaurants/bars (and in my opinion, any deluxe over $400 is overpriced at this point). If we continue with the Cruise comparison, I can book a 3 night Disney cruise for $2,203 for 2 adults and 2 kids, and I have yet to see anything that makes me think this worth more than what I would get on the Disney Dream.

Cesar R M

Disney has lost their way with the dogma of 'everything we do is about the story'

No, the story's importance is to be your framework, it's your skeleton to ensure what you build has consistency and focus. You create a backstory and use story so the resulting product has credibility, purpose, consistency, and continuity with itself and its surroundings. It is the tool to create consistency that leads to credibility/buy-in from the guest.

Story is not what the guest is buying or coming for. ENTERTAINMENT is what the guest is consuming. You pick the right story so it's something that ultimately will be attractive to the guest.

Disney has repeated "story" to themselves so many times they have forgotten what the end product actually us. It's not story!
This reminds me of a famous scene in the TV show "Westworld".
Where the creator of westworld (Anthony Hopkins) rejects the "imagineer with gigantic ego" story.
Because there is a big difference in shoving the story and forcing the person to follow that story. Or let the user develop his own version of the story based on certain minimal backstory, elements and interactivity.

Cesar R M

You're welcome. I wanna know why the Halycon doesn't have creatures in a hold that I can go see. Now, THAT would be the WOW of this thing.
but you got.. hu.. . rock pushing.. in the.. prison... I mean the florida themed garden "hyper-realistic" onboard garden for smoking.

Seems to be working on this end, but here is a copy of the page directly in case it's not working for folks (the pic is near the top of the article):

Luxury Liner (Wookieepedia)

The MC80 (Kuari Princess) Luxury liner seems way more interesting than the Halcyon lol.

pdude81

You are talking a hotel with multiple pools (and activities at the pool at least a portion of the day), a room about more than double the size, and multiple restaurants/bars (and in my opinion, any deluxe over $400 is overpriced at this point). If we continue with the Cruise comparison, I can book a 3 night Disney cruise for $2,203 for 2 adults and 2 kids, and I have yet to see anything that makes me think this worth more than what I would get on the Disney Dream.
Are those restaurants and bars free? If a bigger room and a pool is better to you than a role playing experience in a themed environment, then by all means save the money and stay somewhere else. But there is no world where this could be less than 3 grand for 2 nights, even if they slashed half the entertainment.

I've also looked at sailing on cruises and for some reason I never see anything less than 3 grand for my party of 3 (DCL that is). Perhaps I was only looking at verandah rooms though.

Cesar R M

Are those restaurants and bars free? If a bigger room and a pool is better to you than a role playing experience in a themed environment, then by all means save the money and stay somewhere else. But there is no world where this could be less than 3 grand for 2 nights, even if they slashed half the entertainment.

I've also looked at sailing on cruises and for some reason I never see anything less than 3 grand for my party of 3 (DCL that is). Perhaps I was only looking at verandah rooms though.
Alcoholic drinks are not included in DCL's packages, nor Internet.
I would not be surprised if they keep jacking up prices on par of all the other Disney offerings (they have) on everything.
For example, last time I was on DCL... PALO upcharge costed only 15-20 USD per person.
It now costs like 45 USD and have limited selections. You no longer have unlimited a la carte food like you did before. Now you pay per dish if you go outside the "pre selected menu".

BrerfoxVA

My trip to DLP in 2017 was cheaper than a comparable package at WDW, even with the higher cost of airfare.

DLP prices have gone up quite a bit since then, but I would not be surprised if that were still the case.
I just took my family of four to DLP last June and it cost us $555 which included one night at the Newport Bay hotel and two days of Parkhopper tickets for four. I can’t even get one day of single park tickets with no accommodations for that at Disneyland CA. The DLP packages are so much cheaper than the US parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom