Star Tours to close on 8 September 2010 for major refurbishment into Star Tours 2 3D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It says it reopens 12/31/11. Is that accurate? If so, this is a major refurb I would think. More than just adding a new 3D film I would think.

The end date is not yet confirmed, other than being 2011. This is a MAJOR refurbishment, far more than just adding in a new film.

fbp

I'm excited about that end date. It means I'll get to experience the original Star Tours one more time while I'm there in early September!

Festivus

The end date is not yet confirmed, other than being 2011. This is a MAJOR refurbishment, far more than just adding in a new film.

I knew it is a major refurb, I guess I expected a 7 or 8 month closure. That reopening date threw me off. If it were confirmed that would make it a 16 month closure, but since you said the reopening date is still unconfirmed it makes more sense now. I must say if it were 16 months I would expect an entirely new exterior, preshow, the full monty...

kingdaniel97

The Mouse is advertising it as WDW's 40th, not just MK's. I personally hope it's open before summer. I'm taking 8 friends down with me and I hoped I'd be able to put it through it's paces.

Prince Ali

I am beyond excited! Does anyone know if the queue is changing as of now? I gotta say I love change but that queue is one of my favorites.

HMF

We are getting the half-baked version.

From Screamscape
"3/21/09- While there is no solid timeline set for it yet, there are some issues going on between Disneyland and Disney World management over this new attraction. Disneyland wants the full fledged, crank the up to 11, full of new in-cabin special effects version of Star Tours 2. Orlando on the other hand, always ready to snip away at attraction budgets, is asking for a more bare-bones, no-frills version, and to reuse as much of what’s already installed as possible version. The funny part is that in an effort to push this thing along, both may get their wish, with Orlando being willing to put in the low-budget version while Disneyland installs a version of many cool new effects. What could help or hurt the scheduling here however is just how willing the Oriental Land Company is to get involved in the project as well, providing additional cost-sharing capital to the project which would help them all move into production more quickly."

Thanks TDO.:fork:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We are getting the half-baked version.

From Screamscape
"3/21/09- While there is no solid timeline set for it yet, there are some issues going on between Disneyland and Disney World management over this new attraction. Disneyland wants the full fledged, crank the up to 11, full of new in-cabin special effects version of Star Tours 2. Orlando on the other hand, always ready to snip away at attraction budgets, is asking for a more bare-bones, no-frills version, and to reuse as much of what’s already installed as possible version. The funny part is that in an effort to push this thing along, both may get their wish, with Orlando being willing to put in the low-budget version while Disneyland installs a version of many cool new effects. What could help or hurt the scheduling here however is just how willing the Oriental Land Company is to get involved in the project as well, providing additional cost-sharing capital to the project which would help them all move into production more quickly."

Thanks TDO.:fork:

I really doubt that is true. I seriously doubt Disney would do a DL and WDW similtaneous opening with one being vastly superior to the other. Screamscape is a great site, but sometimes they get fed some very distorted opinions. Kind of how some people post on here.

Animaniac93-98

I really doubt that is true. I seriously doubt Disney would do a DL and WDW similtaneous opening with one being vastly superior to the other. Screamscape is a great site, but sometimes they get fed some very distorted opinions. Kind of how some people post on here.

Plus that story is over a year old. Things might have changed by now.

sponono88

Plus that story is over a year old. Things might have changed by now.

While that story may or may not be true, it is interesting that DL's Star Tours is closing earlier - July 27th. no idea why, though..

I agree with Steve, I don't see them opening two different versions of the ride -- I expect them to be similar. Disney loves to clone after all.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Animaniac93-98

While that story may or may not be true, it is interesting that DL's Star Tours is closing earlier - July 27th. no idea why, though..

I noticed that too, but I'm hoping there's a better reason than "less stuff is begin done to WDW's version".

Maybe it's because the re-opening dates will be different? Disneyland in the summer and WDW in October for example.

Little Green Men

Well DL probably wants to start the refurbishment as soon as possible. But at WDW, we all know that they don't like to close rides during the busy summer season. I'm sure WDW's will open later than L's though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom